Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Getting more from Soundbooth - using VST effects in XP

Aug 14, 2007 3:45 AM

You can add to Soundbooth's built-in functions through the use of VST effects. These can be downloaded from various sites on the internet into a particular directory within the Soundbooth installation, and then access via Soundbooth's effects rack or effects menu.

Not all available VST effects will work with Soundbooth, however. Some will simply be ignored, others will cause the program to crash. But those described below seem to work well in Soundbooth following a short stereo file test of each on my system, running under Windows XP. They may work under Vista.

Use of VST effects in Soundbooth is not supported by Adobe. This post represents end-user unofficial advice. Check out the correct functioning of the effects listed on your own system using unimportant sound files before using them, at your own risk, on your real work. But if you do encounter a problem with an effect you've installed yourself, simply deleting it from the Soundbooth program directory system should restore the program to normal operation.

Installing VST effects for Soundbooth in Windows XP - it's not hard!

Quit Soundbooth.

Navigate to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Soundbooth CS3\Plug-ins\Common\VSTPlugins\
(but do not rename or delete or otherwise interfere with any files in that folder - Soundbooth needs them to function).

Within that folder, create a new folder which you could name "My Plugins". The name doesn't matter - creating the folder and keeping all downloaded effects inside it is simply a matter of good housekeeping.

When you download an effect you will see a file with a ".dll" extension - like "reverb.dll" for instance. Simply put that file into the "My Plugins" folder you've created.

Sometimes there will be additional files in the download and hopefully a readme file will tell you what to do with them. If in doubt, copy the lot into the "My Plugins" folder.

Run Soundbooth again, open an audio file, and you should be able to see the effect's name in the Effects menu or Effects Rack. When you have loaded the effect in the Soundbooth effects rack, click on "Settings" to display the effect's interface.

Useful freeware/donationware VST effects that should work in Soundbooth

"Inspector" from http://www.rogernicholsdigital.com/inspector.html

"Inspector is a compact, but powerful, analysis tool. From spectral analysis to extensive metering, Inspector gives you a full picture of your audio. Use the spectrum analyzer to get a clear and accurate representation of your mix. The peak and RMS meters, with customizable caution and warning zones, allow you to visualize and quantify the levels of your audio. The balance meter provides a visual indication of the balance relationship between channels."

My rating - handy and easy to use. Just for analysis - it will not change your audio.

"MB Audio Meter"from http://www.funkfish.de/~blankenburg/plugins/audiometer.html

"This tool measures levels and stereo behaviour of incoming audio as well as frequency levels.

It features peak meters for L, R, M and S, a stereoscope, position and correlation meters and an analyser (view L, R, M, S)."

My rating - easy to use but you need to be able to understand the implications of what you see! It is only an analysis display and will not change your audio.

"Sonalksis FreeG Stereo" from http://www.sonalksis.com/index.php?section_id=99

This effect provides "extended control of amplitude, phase and pan (stereo version) in the insert chain as well as fine metering, with user configurable industry standard parameter options".

My rating - good looking, very handy in Soundbooth, and easy to use. Check the effect's documentation for how to display its additional setup parameters.

"Stereo Tools" from http://www.kellyindustries.com/stereo_tools.html

"The Stereo Tools VST Plug-in is a simple to use utility plug-in that allows you to pan or position both the left and right channels independently of one another. It works well for stereo files that you don't want to have to convert to mono or if you want to fix a problem with the stereo file. For instance with the Stereo Tools plug-in you can MUTE one side of the file and then pan or position the other side to the center. You can also use the plug-in to remove the center information (voice remover), as well as sum both the left and right channels together. You can also work with files in the Mid/Side format."

My rating - very handy and simple to use.

To see the rest of this long post, click on "Show All Messages"

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 16, 2007 5:33 PM   in reply to Ozpeter
    ..and on a Mac what is availble??? (jsut bought my first Mac a week ago,with CS3 suite)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2007 5:46 PM   in reply to Ozpeter
    Has anyone tried using Waves VST plug ins? I have L-3 and Z-noise I use frequently in Wavelab.

Kent

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2007 10:44 PM   in reply to Ozpeter
    Inspector is a compact, but powerful, analysis tool. From spectral analysis to extensive metering, Inspector gives you a full picture of your audio. Use the spectrum analyzer to get a clear and accurate representation of your mix. The peak and RMS meters, with customizable caution and warning zones, allow you to visualize and quantify the levels of your audio. The balance meter provides a visual indication of the balance relationship between channels. Cat food Inspector is a compact, but powerful, analysis tool. From spectral analysis to extensive metering, Inspector gives you a full picture of your audio. Use the spectrum analyzer to get a clear and accurate representation of your mix. The peak and RMS meters, with customizable caution and warning zones, allow you to visualize and quantify the levels of your audio. The balance meter provides a visual indication of the balance relationship between channels.

My rating - handy and easy to use. Just for analysis - it will not change your audio.

"MB Audio Meter"from http://www.kellyindustries.com/stereo_tools.html

yes . Let me see.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2007 5:56 PM   in reply to Ozpeter
    "Stereo Tools" from "http://www.kellyindustries.com/stereo_tools.html " or from http://www.rogernicholsdigital.com/inspector.html or From the other website foodThe Stereo Tools VST Plug-in is a simple to use utility plug-in that allows you to pan or position both the left and right channels independently of one another. It works well for stereo files that you don't want to have to convert to mono or if you want to fix a problem with the stereo file . For instance with the Stereo Tools plug-in you can MUTE one side of the file and then pan or position the other side to the center. You can also use the plug-in to remove the center information (voice remover), as well as sum both the left and right channels together. You can also work with files in the Mid/Side format.
    very handy and simple to use, ,,Just wonderful,,
    I think this is very helpful.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2009 10:19 AM   in reply to Ozpeter
    @Ozpeter:

Thanks for the time, effort and info.

Always good to have a few extra tools in the box!

:)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2009 2:24 PM   in reply to Ozpeter
    You can still sneak VST's into Soundbooth 2.0.1. Just don't let the teacher catch you ;)

Durin

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2010 4:37 AM   in reply to Ozpeter

I can't get the Voxengo plugins to work under Soundbooth CS5.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)