Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

New Forum FAQ

Apr 6, 2009 8:15 PM

Latest reply: Jochem van Dieten, Jul 17, 2010 6:41 AM
Replies 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 29, 2009 2:16 PM   in reply to Claudio González

The survey ran in Feb/Mar/April of 2008. It was linked to from all forum pages on both systems.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2009 2:17 PM   in reply to John Cornicello

Would have been nice to see the results.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2009 2:18 PM   in reply to laszloacs

laszloacs wrote:

I have done some research and a little social engineering (I made a phone call to Jive Software).  Result of the research: the lack of a Digest function IS NOT because of something missing in the Jive Software: Take a look at this and pay attention to the date of the initial post and replies.  Now, look at this, again paying attention to the date.  So you see, Jive's forum software HAD a digest function as long as 5 years ago!!!  From my discussion with a technical analyst at Jive this afternoon, I learned that the digest function IS available in the administration/configuration settings of the Clearspace package.  Makes one wonder - is the missing function purposely missing because someone at Adobe made the decision not to include it?

Gawd, I have wasted WAY too much time on this triviality...

Your references above are to Jive Forums, an old product that has been long discontinued. We're running under Jive Clearspace Community here. There were many functions in Jive Forums that were dropped when that product was dropped.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2009 2:29 PM   in reply to John Cornicello

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2009 2:45 PM   in reply to Kath-H

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2009 2:45 PM   in reply to Kath-H

And remember that the Edit button/link for the first message in a discussion is in the Action panel, not under the message.

As Kath says, once someone replies, the edit capability goes away. Like a normal conversation. Once you've said something and someone replied, you can't turn back time and go change what you originally said.

Replies within the discussion are slightly different because they are threaded. So if you reply to a message you can edit it until someone else replies to you. However, other people can add replies to other messages in the discussion that are not replies directly to you. So you can still edit your message, even though there are newer messages in the discussion. But if someone goes back and replies to that message you then lose the edit capabilities.

John

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2009 2:51 PM   in reply to John Cornicello

So, the fun of cheating with statements like As XX is about to say will be forever gone.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2009 2:53 PM   in reply to laszloacs

Come on, don't be shy...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2009 3:04 PM   in reply to John Cornicello

John, unfortunately, I have noticed that more than a few people press the Reply button of the last posted message, regardless of whom they are replying to. So, a message may have been directly answered by a number of people and still remain editable. And so it can happen that the poster of that message edits it afterwards, making one or more of the already posted answers seem foolish, or at best unrelated with the discussion.

Only way out I can think of is trying to educate people who do not use the proper Reply button. Not a minor or easy task.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2009 3:06 PM   in reply to John Cornicello

John Cornicello wrote:

The survey ran in Feb/Mar/April of 2008. It was linked to from all forum pages on both systems.

Unless it was also posted, newsgroup users probably never saw it. I don't recall seeing it and searching dejanews.com comes up blank for both newsservers.

Assuming the survey carried some weight, the practical exclusion of feedback from NNTP regulars explains a lot.

Just like the notice about the weekend for switching to this system. No notice went to the newsgroups and several people were suddenly cut out of the picture with no knowledge of what was happening. I posted the notice in a few groups after I noticed it, but only a few.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2009 3:13 PM   in reply to John Cornicello

John Cornicello wrote:

John, now that you mention dates, yes, I seem to recall answering a survey by then. Howevere, my vague memories of it bring back reminiscences of questions of a general nature. In which my memory can be completely wrong of course...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2009 3:15 PM   in reply to laszloacs

laszloacs, if you're replying by email, please see Re: Blank posts on email replies

(or http://forums.adobe.com/message/1917767#1917767 in case that link gets discombobulated in email)

Your messages are coming in empty.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2009 3:36 PM   in reply to Mark A. Boyd

Mark, I posted both announcements in the Spanish version of the ex-MM forum, frequented almost exclusively by NNTP users. They were perfectly aware of the situation before my messages, and were complaining bitterly of it ..., in that forum, in Spanish, with no mods/hosts, and no noticeable signs of anyone from Adobe ever visiting it. Unfortunately, as far as I can recall, nobody answered any of my two messages, probably because I wasn't very popular amongst regulars over there after I dared to suggest that they posted their protests over here, where there was some chance that they might get read. For this, they considered me as "sold to the enemy", the enemy being of course Adobe.

It is sad to see that, as far as my memory can tell (they all became "Newsreader_User"s after the fusion), not more than two or three of them have come to the new forums, and very occasionally at that.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2009 4:26 PM   in reply to John Cornicello

I just checked in with Jive about email digests. Here is my question and their repsonse:

Instead of just individual email notifications, are email digests available in Jive Clearspace? I seem to recall that they were in Jive Forums. But I have not seen this option in Clearspace. Curious...

Thanks! 

John

Hey John,

Unfortunately, nothing like this exists in Clearspace. I believe they were removed from the codebase when Clearspace was being built for technical reasons.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2009 4:39 PM   in reply to John Cornicello

for technical reasons. == it was hard to do.

<shrug> oh well.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2009 4:58 PM   in reply to John Cornicello

Technically means they had no one that knew what do do with them.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2009 5:36 PM   in reply to ~graffiti

you said 'do do'... <snicker>

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2009 6:49 PM   in reply to Claudio González

Claudio González wrote:

Mark, I posted both announcements in the Spanish version of the ex-MM forum, frequented almost exclusively by NNTP users.

Yeah, that kind of reinforces my statement. The "official" notices of the survey and changeover was not posted to the news servers by Adobe. Only individual users posted the notices in a few of the groups. It just feels as if NNTP users were not officially invited to participate in a survey when our voice may have had some influence.

It is sad to see that, as far as my memory can tell (they all became "Newsreader_User"s after the fusion), not more than two or three of them have come to the new forums, and very occasionally at that.

I refer to Newsgroup_User as a Borg collective. I am #925 of 2006. (You have to turn on avatars to see where I got that number [lack of imagination]) Our points are STILL increasing while our posting count is decreasing. You will be assimilated when our points = 238,008 and our post count = 0.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2009 7:14 PM   in reply to Mark A. Boyd

I refer to Newsgroup_User as a Borg collective. I am #925 of 2006. (You have to turn on avatars to see where I got that number [lack of imagination]) Our points are STILL increasing while our posting count is decreasing. You will be assimilated when our points = 238,008 and our post count = 0.

May it be related in any way with September? And my points aren't increasing: I seem to specialize in answering questions by posters who never find their way backto where they posted...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2009 7:19 PM   in reply to dave milbut

he meant "to do"...

I see I am not the only imperfect person here.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2009 3:16 AM   in reply to laszloacs

There were test-forums but as alte as the latest weeks before the release of the real thing nobody could answer the question about if there would be a digest or not. Took pretty long to get an answer to if there even would be email-options (that answer I got a week before release on the Illsutrator forum). So there were testing but nobody actually knew if there would be digests or not even in the very end of testing.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2009 5:10 AM   in reply to Mark A. Boyd
    You will be assimilated when our points = 238,008 and our post count = 0.

this is good stuff! i hope someone's writing it down!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2009 5:12 AM   in reply to dave milbut

dave milbut wrote:

<gasp> that's only... 720670 in base 8!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2009 6:32 PM   in reply to dave milbut

dave milbut wrote:

dave milbut wrote:

Newsgroup_User wrote:

<gasp> that's only... 720670 in base 8!!!

We of Borg Collective, Newsgroup_User do not use octal. 111010000110111000 is the purest form. There are only 10 types of carbon-based units. Those who understand binary and those who don't. Comply or you will be assimilated! (Or destroyed by V’Ger now that I've mixed movie quotes )

Mixed movies == mixed metaphors?

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2009 11:39 AM   in reply to adobe-admin

Are the deleted forums for Adobe Audition going to be restored?  A whole swath of very useful discussions that were present before were not included in the current list of Audition forums.  Those forums constituted a very useful reference about the software and about audio recording, editing, mastering, etc., going back many years.  The discussions in the missing forums were not obsolete.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2009 12:16 PM   in reply to TheodoreG

Thank you, I guess I will live with it for now.

I shouldn't have upgraded my laptop.

Wes

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2009 1:08 PM   in reply to wes1

wnorm wrote:

Thank you, I guess I will live with it for now.

I shouldn't have upgraded my laptop.

Wes

? ? ?

Are you sure you meant to reply to this particular thread, Wes?

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2009 1:11 PM   in reply to Ramón G Castañeda

I think he ricocheted in from PS Win!   

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2009 1:18 PM   in reply to John Joslin

…as if we didn't have enough problems already. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2009 1:41 PM   in reply to Ramón G Castañeda

Not really. Seems like I did the wrong thing though.

Wes

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2009 7:15 PM   in reply to wes1

>Thank you, I guess I will live with it for now.

Whom are you thanking?  For what?  Live with what?

>I shouldn't have upgraded my laptop.

How is this related to the missing Adobe Audition forums, or to the New Forum FAQ?

Did you write the message on a phone while simultaneously eating and driving?

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2009 10:22 PM   in reply to TheodoreG

It's OK Theo, we sorted it out last week!

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2009 4:12 PM   in reply to adobe-admin

About the file formats allowed in the attachments:

I know Microsoft is the root of all evil, but it would be nice to be able to upload a word processed file  (doc or even rtf) without having to convert it to txt and losing all the formatting.

Also could the forum allow uploads from Framemaker files?   I wanted to upload a template file in .fm  format but the system would not accept it. The forum also does not allow mif so I had to copy and paste the relevent parts of the template into my word processor, then convert the doc file to acrobat, and finally upload it.

Thank you,

Marjorie Lynch-Freshner

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2009 4:38 PM   in reply to margielf

Your best bet there is probably to zip compress the file.

That should make it possible to pass any type file in, I think? (Haven't tried it, but I've used the trick before on other websites.)

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2009 4:40 PM   in reply to Eric @ MCA

Thanks for the suggestion Eric.

However, I would like to see fm and mif allowed in the attachment list.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2009 1:08 AM   in reply to margielf

However, I would like to see fm and mif allowed in the attachment list.

Why not request all of the Adobe file formats?

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2009 12:27 PM   in reply to Mark A. Boyd

Thanks for the updates. (In the actual FAQ).

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2009 12:30 PM   in reply to Kath-H

From the FAQ:

Do widgets like "more like this" and "popular discussions" and "top participants" exact any performance hit when they are being figured out and displayed?

Reply from Jive Software:

No. In fact these do the exact opposite. If anything, they would be improving performance in the system.

I don't get that. Maybe they don't make things worse, but I don't see how they could be improving performance/speed. I'd still  like to see them gone.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2009 3:37 PM   in reply to Kath-H

They don't appear until after the main page has rendered, so they must slow the overall response time down.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2009 4:42 PM   in reply to John Joslin

Also, for me in FF 3.0.10 Windows with all customizations off, the page does not jump to the linked message[1] until after they appear - as you said - after the main page has rendered. I am not sure if this is due to waiting for the JavaScript or due to waiting for the images to arrive from wwwimages.adobe.com. It feels like the latter to me. But then, some of those images are used in the silver nav bar (Your Stuff, History, etc.) and those render far earlier than the boxes in the side bar.

And who but company marketing types or bean counters would ever want to know who the Top Participants are? Can't that data be restricted to specific access levels or user types - say, employee? I just can't imagine a case where a U2U...uh... user would find that information helpful.

[1] By linked message, I am referring to following a specific message link rather than clicking on a thread subject link. ie: http://forums.adobe.com/message/1968237#1968237

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)