Skip navigation
Anti-M
Currently Being Moderated

After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop

Apr 7, 2009 8:49 AM

Update to this...

AFter a very nice Adobe tech support person guided me in the right direction to AE troubleshooting techniques I was able to get the HWaccelerate box to re-appear (trashed the prefs and it came back) Wether or not it helped was another story but at least I knew how to repair it. Anyhow worked all day, went home and came back this morning to find an error message "After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop." We had not run remote desktop, all I know is due to financial mandates we have to have a screen saver that locks the computer after 10 minutes of inactivity, and the minute the machine locks, I lose HW acceleration. Now yes I could run a program to stop the screensaver, but that would be against the financial laws of the company for a public company so it's not an option. So is there an actual fix for this?

TIA,

Chris

Wondered if anyone can guide me in the right direction, here's the story...

Company got me the swankiest Dell precision t7400;
XP64
Dual Quad Cores
With a Quadro FX 5600
and two dell 22" monitors
etc.

Anyhow, I have to run three monitors, so we were going to add my old Quadro FX 1700, but it's an AGP card, and no slot on the t7400...so we bought a new Geforce FX 5200 and slapped it in a PCI slot...not the best solution, but it works...two 5600's are too costly and there's only one PCI-E slot as far as I know.

In any case, it's not really performing as well as I think it should. I primarily run After Effects, and the box to turn on HW accelerate comps in the prefs is greyed out. OpenGL works very poorly and when I drag through my timeline (W/O OpenGL, just Adaptive Res) the image pixelates to point were I can't really see it. I am runiing AE on the two Dells on the 5600 (1680x1050 x 2) and using the 5200 to power a third monitor (1366x768 - only res I can use due to the animations I am creating are displayed on the monitor as the end product) showing the comp.

Any ideas to improve the performance?

Nvidia Drivers are:
Bios 60.80.13.00.01

And
DirectX 9.0c

Thanks in advance,

ChrisN

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 7, 2009 3:54 PM   in reply to Anti-M

Can you try to disable remote desktop in Windows ?

Because maybe it enables the option when to computer is locked.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2009 6:55 PM   in reply to Anti-M

Anti-M: This may seem completely unrelated, but may I ask what's your target medium? I mean, is this for broadcast, for the web?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2009 7:00 PM   in reply to Adolfo Rozenfeld

I am asking because a triple monitor configuration with different video cards certainly sounds like asking for trouble when it comes to OpenGL and display acceleration.

Many, many users work with a dual computer monitor set-up, plus a video monitor which is fed by a video output card (like those from AJA or Decklink), not by a display card. Because of this, doesn't try to use that card as a display device. But this is more for people working for broadast or video screens in general (in which case, a video monitor preview is much more reliable than a computer screen).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2009 10:53 PM   in reply to Anti-M

Well, you do have an unusual set-up

I think the first troubleshooting procedure could be: remove the Geforce 5200 card and don't attach the VGA display at all. As a test, I mean.

Try to work like that and see what happens. If it works properly, you found the culprit and from there you can decide a course of action. If it doesn't, at least you'll know it's something else.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2009 2:17 AM   in reply to Anti-M

Anti-M wrote:

Nvidia Drivers are:
    Bios 60.80.13.00.01

The minimum for CS4 should be the 181.34 ones, that contain specific fixes for some issues. Other than that - you're clearly calling for trouble running "asymmetrical", even more so on XP64. If you can, upgrade to Vista64 - or buy identical cards (I know, I know, not an option...). ;-) As a minor, unplug the card to test and also double-check the BIOS for a fixed order of your graphics adapters. Auto-configure may not give the proper order. If all else fails, manually manage your PCI bus.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2009 4:59 PM   in reply to Anti-M

I have AE CS3 8.0.2 and AE CS4 9.0.1 on my Vista 32/nvidia based laptop.

In my CS3 pref menu, all open gl stuff is grayed and OPen GL info says that my Gfx card is not compatible.

In my CS4 pref menu, everything is enabled, and never had a problem when locking my workstation.

So i guess this is an issue resolved in CS4 ? Have you tried to reproduce this behavior with the CS4 demo available on adobe.com ?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2009 7:39 PM   in reply to Anti-M

Anti-M: The use of two or more graphics cards to drive multiple monitors is discouraged by Adobe, as pointed out in the tech document Troubleshoot OpenGL problems in After Effects CS4.

As I said in my previous post, the first troubleshooting step would be removing the second card and any disconnect any monitors attached to it. You may want to follow other troubleshooting procedures described in that document.

A dual monitor set-up through a single dual-head card is preferred. You could then use an inexpensive video preview card with HDMI output (like, for instance, the Decklink Intensity) to send the Comp contents to any HDMI-capable monitor or television. Since this is handled by the video output feature, you get full screen playback without it getting in the middle with display acceleration. I understand that your needs are different from people doing broadcast work, so a preview option restricted to PAL/NTSC/720/1080 standards may not suit your needs.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2009 11:23 AM   in reply to Anti-M

Anti-M: I wanted to get back to you so you don't get the impression that there's no reply from my side.

Unfortunately, OpenGL/Display Acceleration is one area that is famously troubled by the myriad of card/drive combinations in the Windows side of things. Forum members like Mylenium have been helping users enormously by sharing his knowledge of this complex matter in the forum.

The reason why there's a web page at Adobe with supported GFX card/driver combinations is because those were tested directly. Card/driver combos outside that list may or may nor work depending on many factors.

Personally I am passing along all feedback on OpenGL/Display Accerlation to the team. Unfortunately,  I can't always share information with users. For the time being, HW Acceleration of panels is one feature many people happen to have turned off. It's simply not that well-known. In any case, it shouldn't be critical in terms of UI performance.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2009 10:04 AM   in reply to Anti-M

Anti-M:

Please be sure that OpenGL/display card compatibility is something that is getting a lot of attention, from QE to technical support and so on.

We want people to have the smoothest, most rewarding experience. But I am afraid is not always as simple as saying it's an AE bug, or an Nvidia bug, etc. Things have to work together, and there's a myriad of aspects to that. Many times I can't follow up with you guys with details or future plans, for many reasons. But the last thing I would like you to think is that it's not useful to get this information from you. On the contrary, it's extremely useful.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2009 10:05 AM   in reply to Anti-M

If you'd like to submit a bug report, please use this form.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2009 5:18 PM   in reply to Anti-M

This information is very useful, since it gives more hints to isolate the problem. The fact that this happens in your config when you manually lock the computer really helps to discard other things. Thanks for posting all this.  As I said, I am on a trip so my ability to discuss things is more limited

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2009 9:47 AM   in reply to Anti-M

Anti-M:

I did talk to an engineer about this, and apparently display Hardware Acceleration is turned off because of an Operating System (XP) problem: an OS function to handle UI windows looses its' hardware backing when the computer is locked, so enabling AE's Hardware Acceleration again would give you a very unstable system. The error message is not very clear about this, and it may need to be corrected. I understand all this works better in Windows Vista.

That said, if you're experiencing very slow performance it's probably because of something else. An enormous amount of users out there have this feature turned off, and that doesn't translate into a perception of a slow system. It accelerates a few UI interactions, but it's not the most direct measure of responsiveness. In other words, it can be convenient to have, but it's not critical.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2009 11:24 AM   in reply to Anti-M

Chris:

I think that system should work perfectly well.

Why do you have to turn off multi-processor rendering? That subject didn't come up here, did it? That feature should provide a very significant speed-up in rendering in many cases, while the other features are mostly about interactions, not rendering or previewing speed.

Hardware Acceleration of panels seems to be in trouble because of your company's requirements to lock your computer at time intervals (if I understood correctly). But as you see, it's not incompatible with your computer. It shut downs after those locks/screen savers. It's important to understand that a content creation workstation may need different rules, configuration and mantaining that other computers in a corporate network.

But again, HW acceleration of panels is not a high-profile feature.

As for OpenGL, you'll see that the most usual reply is: if it doesn't work for you, turn it off (or leave it off).  I want to give you better than that, but there's a limit to what I can do from here. I know it's frustrating. The myriad of card/driver combinations on the Windows side of things makes it a hit or miss thing, unfortunately. This assuming you're not still trying to run triple monitors from a dual card set-up, which of course is asking for trouble.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2009 12:13 PM   in reply to Anti-M
    so we upgraded it to XP64 and I have more ram on order. MP rendering
    will work right now, but it takes forever so turning it off is faster.

Chris: The "takes forever" instance is once per session (ie, every time you launch AE). So, wait for it once, and then building previews and rendering should be much faster in most cases (there's a list of things which disable multiprocessing in AE help, and of course, disk-intensive projects, for example, won't benefit from it). The "takes forever" moment is probably worse if you're re-launching the app  frequently (because the HW acceleration thing). AE needs to turn on the background processes for simultaneous frame rendering when you launch it, and of course you want it to turn them off when you quit.

AE will resort to adaptive resolution and down sample to 25% everytime
    I click the timeline. So OpenGl with a certified card is completely
    unusable.

But it works or not (are the OpenGL options available in the Fast Previews menu)? Because if it works, you can turn off OpenGL adaptive resolution in the Fast Previews dialog.

And ok I could live without the HW acceleration, I just thought that it
    was a symptom of a much larger issue with my video card/configuration

If it works until you lock the system,  make sure you don't lock the system. As I said, hard rules for company networks may not work well for content creation seats.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2009 12:54 PM   in reply to Adolfo Rozenfeld

Sorry, Chris.

I just noticed that your system has a quad core processor and 4 GB of RAM. That's not an adequate amount of RAM for using multiprocessing on a quad core system (you need at least 2GB per core). With 4GB, AE will either refuse to launch the background instances, or work very slowly.

AE CS4 has a new preference item to leave CPUs for other applications, that you could use so AE uses 2 cores and leaves the other 2 out. Unfortunately, CS3 doesn't have that preference. With just 4 GB, you're starving the background processes, if they launch at all.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2009 2:29 PM   in reply to Anti-M
      No the "takes forever" happens everytime I hit ram preview with multiproccessing on (i have it off now, it just got to annoying) One reason is it has to save the project everytime I hit ram preview, then after the save it starts the multi-process and hangs for a while, this happens EVERY time I hit ram preview.

Yes, with a quad machine and 4GB of RAM you may want to turn it off for now, then turn it back on when you get the extra RAM.

The OpenGL options are availiable, they just don't seem to help at all actually they hurt the performance IMO.

It depends on the nature of the project. Yes, many built-in effects and certainly most third party plug-ins make OpenGL a moot point.

If you expect more (consider it's not the latest version), please file a feature request. Please bear in mind that OpenGL in AE is designed for an application that runs on both platforms, has to deal with a web of driver combinations and a ton of third party plug-ins. It's always a compromise.

On the other hand, for projects that make heavy use of supported features (especially 3D stuff like 3D lights, shadows, etc) it can provide a smoother experience. In CS4 it can now also preview Depth of Field and nested Comps. And a higher-end card works better with those features.

I understand the cores need ram to work, and as I said I have ram on order. I keep an eye on the task manager, and have yet to see it starve..

These things are not always evident on direct observation

Particularly, the background processes that are spawned for multiprocessing are independent from the main app (they're called AEselfLink).

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2009 10:25 AM   in reply to Anti-M

Anti-M:

Locking the preferences file is a bad, bad idea IMO. I think that kind of thing introduces a factor of inestability that really outweights the apparent benefits. AE needs to edit that file for normal operation.

Is this still about the HW accelerated panels pref turning off?

I'd like to state once again the this feature is not the performance/interactions booster you think it is. If it's a source of problems, turn it off for good. Much better than locking the preferences file. If AE disables HW Accelerated Views, it's because having it enabled causes problems.

Regarding OpenGL, it's really difficult to diagnose things from here. But the technical support document I linked to some time ago has a bunch of tips that have helped a ton of people. For example, when running dual monitors, the Nvidia cards have a "compatible" setting for multiple displays that doesn't interfere with OpenGL in AE. Advanced functions and 16-bit/anti-aliasing can also cause problems. Just to show a couple of the recommendations in that document.

Also, just to make this point clear: When you are using OpenGL previews, any effect that it's not OpenGL-compatible (and there will always be effects that are CPU intensive) will become the weakest link and turn OpenGL a moot point. There are a million other things that can impact on performance, depending on the nature of the project. For example, and just as one example, if your using footage in your Comp, hard drive I/O speed becomes a very important factor.

It's surely clear by now that neither OpenGL nor HW Accelerated Views play any role in rendering or RAM preview speed when using the high-quality, software renderer, right?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2011 1:22 AM   in reply to Anti-M

LOL we are on 2011 cs5.5  same problem and cant figure out  ,i make all configs in AF for open gl render and configured nvidia driver.

OBS lastast nvidia driver ,widows 7 64bit  sp1 ,nvidia gts 250.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points