Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No more NNTP for Adobe Forums

Apr 08, 2009 Apr 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just learned that Adobe has discontinued NNTP (Newsreader/Newsgroup) access to these forums. I only found out because I couldn't connect via NNTP and came here to the 'general' forum to register a problem ... which turned out to be 'a feature'.

I'm afraid that I won't be coming by here as often, if at all. Going to a website to see if there's any activity is a PITA compared to the NNTP alternative, where the group name just sits there among others and gets highlighted when there's new activity. I posted some more detailed objections (aka whined) in the general forum.

- Herb V B

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is unfortunate that the NNTP access is not available anymore. However, Adobe was put in a position where it was absolutely necessary to migrate from the previous service provider for the forums (the old forums and for that matter the new forums) are hosted outside of Adobe itself using third party software. For better or worse, most of the newer on-line forum software packages simply don't support NNTP anymore.

An alternative that I use (and did use with the old forums) was e-mail subscriptions to particular forums or threads providing e-mails of each new discussion and response. Yes, that results in many short e-mails in my in-box, but with appropriate rules applied, I can sort through them easily.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you were the one I immediately thought of when I saw the news about a month ago, Herb. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The other alternative is to use the RSS feeds from the various forums that you want to subscribe to.

If you use a standalone RSS reader like Feedreader or Feedburner (on Windows, don't know about the Mac ones), then you can see when new messages are posted. With their built-in browsers, you can also immediately reply to postings - as I'm doing now.

I used to use Agent as a newsreader to access the old forums via NNTP, but I'm finding this approach just as convenient (so far).

I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines