Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Audition Recording Voice Over Music

Apr 8, 2009 4:49 PM

I need some help using adobe audition for a project. I have a trial version on adobe audition 3.0. I would like to know how to record my voice over music? I have to make a 2 minute infomercial for an artist and use various songs while talking about the band or artist. I need to have a continuous flow of music. I am confused on about every aspect. I have a microphone and when I record and try to playback, I cannot heard what I did. Where in the settings is the volume control for the microphone and volume? I would also like to have know what I need to do to lower the volume of music when I talk, I think this feature is known as enveloping. Also, when I put a CD with music in, what file do I have to go in to open it up and put it on the adobe screen. So basically, I would appreciate any help and a step by step process would be very helpful to me.

Thank You

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 8, 2009 6:21 PM   in reply to abilley

To "rip" audio from a CD:

1. Pop the CD in your drive
    2. In Edit view go to File > Extract Audio from CD
    3. In the Extract audio dialog you will be able to preview the tracks, select the ones you want, and copy them into Audition.
    4. You should then save these wave files in a separate folder created just for your project.

Once you have all the audio files saved and open in Audition, switch to multi-track view and use the file panel to drag and drop the songs in the order you want.  If you put all the wave blocks on a single track you can have them "Crossfade" by sliding one on top of the other.  Give it a try to get used to how it works.  You can change the crossfade by grabbing and scrubbing up and down on the grey Crossfade markers in the upper corner of each track.

What soundcard are you using?  While you are playing with crossfades in multi-track view, hit the play button and see if you can hear the audio.  If not, check that your audio is not muted (a little speaker with a red x through in the bottom-right corner of the windows taskbar, if you are using the built in sound card).  When you are recording can you see the waveform?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2009 8:05 PM   in reply to abilley

Are you on a laptop or desktop?  Do you have speakers connected?

You need to setup your audio hardware (Edit > Audio Hardware Setup)There is a tab for both Edit View, and Multitrack view.  You will want it set to "Audition 3.0 Windows Sound" since you will be using your built in souncard.  You will want to set the Default Input and Default Output to whatever card you are using.

The following link is for Auditon 2.0 but should be the same for 3.0.

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=332220&slice Id=2

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2009 6:33 PM   in reply to abilley
    I am on a desktop. My speakers are conneccted. I am not sure what input and outputs to set because I do not knw what kind of sound card I  am using. Is it written on the box or the product?

Can you hear audio in Windows Media player, or other audio software?  Most speakers have a volume control on them somewhere....if yours does make sure they are turned on.  I know that sounds like a dumb thing to suggest....but sometimes simple things like these can be the cause of the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2011 8:30 PM   in reply to abilley

Hi,

You could adjust the volume of a microphone somewhere while you are recording voice. If you can't set up right to record voice over microphone, you can try to use a recorder. Some recorders can record voice from microphone seperately and record voice to CD straightly. To record voice over music, you may need to put CD onto your hard drive and then rip music from it with a CD ripper. When both of the voice and music are recorded well, you only need to overlay them together.

Hope this can broad your mind.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2011 1:37 AM   in reply to Chatwinmic20

The OP and all original replies were posted in 2009!

!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2011 2:29 AM   in reply to emmrecs

....which makes it a bit unlikely it's a CS5.5 question!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points