Skip navigation
Cana_Crosby
Currently Being Moderated

Combining multiple InDesign documents and creating changeable page numbers and index

Apr 9, 2009 10:18 AM

I need help linking a bunch of different InDesign documents (~17) in order to make a larger "book" with chapter-type sections.  I need to have page numbers that run the entire book (and can change as I re-arrange things) and also create a photo credit page that references the various pages and could also "change" as I re-arrange things--is there a way to do this efficiently?  I'm at the beginning stages of this endeavor and would like to start off on the right foot.

Thanks in advance for any advice I may get .

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2009 10:23 AM   in reply to Cana_Crosby

This is what the Book feature is for.

Check out Michael Murphy's video podcast at The InDesigner. The Long Documents examples should help.

-mt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2009 10:26 AM   in reply to Cana_Crosby
    1. To get several document together create a book indb file File > New > Book …
    2. To get the page number on every page place a page number for the current page on the master page (which has to be applied). I recommend to put it on a seperate layer.
    3. For the photo credit page I would create a table of content based on the paragraph styles which you have used for the photo credits.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2009 10:28 AM   in reply to Cana_Crosby

As mt said, use the Book feature to combine Indesign files into one publication. The photo credit page could be done as a Table of Contents or as an Index, depends on whether you want the entries arranged in page order (TOC) or alpha order (Index).

Kenneth Benson

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2009 10:32 AM   in reply to Cana_Crosby

Another useful site: InDesignSecrets

Also, check out the Visual Quickstart Guide to InDesign (insert version here) by Sandee Cohen

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points