Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Convert MTS without Losing Quality

Apr 11, 2009 11:31 AM

Hello.  I'm somewhat new to using Premier Elements, and I'm looking for a way to convert the MTS files off of my Sony HD video camera without losing any quality.  The playback is just for my PC.  I do some streaming, so a WMV solution would be best for me, but if MPEG or AVI will work better, I'm open.

I've tried many of the default presets, and I've tried tweaking settings as well, but none of the final files have the same quality of the original MTS file.  Does anyone have any experience with this, or any suggestions?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2009 3:04 PM   in reply to Dan-C

When you say "Sony HD video camera" do you mean hard drive  or hi-definition camcorder?

Also, there are a number of formats for either, so if you can tell us which model of camcorder you're using, we can tell you how to proceed.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2009 5:20 PM   in reply to Dan-C

That's a tough one, Dan. AVCHD files are highly compressed hi-def video files and are some of the most challenging to edit. Most of the people who've been able to work with them in Premiere Elements are using quad-core computers with 4 gigs of RAM and many gigabytes of hard drive space!

One possible solution is a convertor program that sells for about $40. We talk about it in the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390605?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2009 4:38 PM   in reply to Dan-C

Export them from PE7 using HDV MPEG2 format. I find this gives good quality for both playback on a PC (not so demanding on computer resources as AVCHD) and also good for editing. Use the 1080i MPEG2 preset and up the bitrate to 25Mb/s.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2009 5:18 PM   in reply to Dan-C

How do you get the .MTS files into premiere.  I have the same camera...

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2009 10:58 PM   in reply to videostart

Go to the Organizer, then use "Get Media" and select the "AVCHD or other hard disk/memory camcorder" and import here. However, some folks have had issues importing this way, especially with Canons, you may be OK with the Sony. If you have problems use the software that came with your camcorder to get the files off you camcorder and then use the "Get Media" from "Files and Folders" to import them.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2009 9:11 AM   in reply to Paul_LS

Paul, first off, thanks for this response.  I'm trying to do the same thing as the original poster, as PE7 on my dual core 3GB machine just can't handle editing AVCHD video.  I plan to use PE7 to convert each clip to a more easily editable format and then pull those clips into PE7 to do my editing.  I do, however, have a couple of follow-up questions:

1. Do you recommend the MPEG2 1080i preset or the H.264 1080i preset?  Is there a big difference between the two in the compute resources required to edit in PE7?
    2. When you say up the bitrate to 25Mbps, are you referring to the target bitrate or the minimum?  In my MPEG2 1080i preset in PE7, the bitrate encoding is set for VBR and the target is already 25Mbps (the minimum is set to 18).
    3. In my MPEG2 1080i preset, the "Quality" is set to 4.  Any upside or downside to raising that to 5?

Thanks for any advice.

- John

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2009 2:48 PM   in reply to John Cloudman

Definately go with the MPEG2 1080i... the H.264 is basically AVCHD and will be tough to edit.

I would set the bit rate to 25Mbps CBR... this is the HDV standard.

To be honest I am not to sure why it would not always be set to 5. Maybe raising to 5 might take a little longer to convert.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2009 9:46 PM   in reply to Dan-C

i prefer the wmv cause of its quality thoughts it s lil bit heavier than mpeg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2010 1:34 AM   in reply to Dan-C

I  am looking for such a software for several days.finally,i discovered a wonderful video converter-Aunsoft MTS Converter which can convert .mts file to any formats,like avi,mp4,wmv which i often use.

most importantly,its conversion is very easy and fast with the least loss of video quality.

now share  with you,guy.

GOOD LUCK.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2010 6:26 AM   in reply to oudinmelanie09

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for reporting on the conversion program. I am not familiar with it, but then do not use MTS files, so really have not researched the matter. You will likely help others in the future.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2010 6:36 AM   in reply to Dan-C

MTS converter tool is avilable for the conversion of MTS video to other popular video format. Lots of converter present in the market but the one which i have used is superb. it can convert to all popular video format with the good quality of picture and sound. This is not limited here, there are some option to get the picture as you want means you can edit output video, trim long video and crop it to fit it in the size. There is option that allow you for batch conversion means you can convert more than one video at the same time.

quality wise this is awesome software.I have downloaded it from here......

http://www.mtsconverter.co.uk

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2010 6:38 AM   in reply to Dan-C

Download it and free try this software

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2010 6:43 AM   in reply to lucyabc

Lucy, we usually require people to post a few responses before they start posting links to software on this forum -- just to make sure we're not being spammed.

But if you'll post a follow-up to this post within the next 24 hours so we'll know you're a real Premiere Elements user, I'll leave your post. Otherwise, we'll assume you're just spamming our forum and your posts will be removed.

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2010 6:48 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

I am not spamming, really i have used MTS converter and i found it from this website. i just reconmeded this to try, this will definitely serve your purpose.

Regard

Lucy disuza

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2010 8:34 AM   in reply to lucyabc

Thank you and welcome to the forum, Lucy.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2010 12:41 AM   in reply to Dan-C

I wanted to convert the MTS files for editing purposes as working with raw MTS files is too slow. I'm using Pavtube MTS Converter MAC to convert the HD video taken from Sony Handycam. I've had good results converting the .mts files to .mov, with the settings h.264, 12000kbps, 1280*720, 25fps, aac. The files look good on my Mac running Adobe Premiere, edit easily, and convert well to DVD format.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2011 5:50 AM   in reply to kate5958

Please note that, to protect this forum from spammers, we will not allow links to other software -- even free software -- in the very first post an "individual" posts.

However, if you establish yourself as a genuine human, you can feel free to recommend software and link to any other site you'd like.

Just not in your very first post on the forum. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2011 3:12 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Did you try to select HD MPEG as the output formats.

I use iCoolsoft mts converter ,and always select HD MPEG as the output formats Ithink the video quaility is OK.

I am not  guarantee without any losing ,but the  quaility can meet my need.

I think you can have a try.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 6:32 PM   in reply to Dan-C

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 11:54 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Hello, this problem is not very difficult to solve a lot of software now can be converted, but can guarantee quality conversion software I've been using the Bros MTS to MPEG Converter Mac the effect is very good, high quality,you can try, and hope to be able to help you. You can google browser inside search keywords: Bros MTS to MPEG Converter Mac to find this software.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points