Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PDF files display blank in Acrobat 9

Apr 12, 2009 8:26 PM

Hi all:

I just upgraded to CS4 Master Collection from CS3 (MC) last week, and now I'm having bizarre display issues with PDFs I'm generating with Creative Suite applications. When I export PDFs from both Illustrator and InDesign and view them in Acrobat, they come up briefly and then the page immediately goes blank white and I can't see anything. It just goes away, including the page border outline...

Notes:

1. I try changing zoom percentage, and nothing shows up at any percentage.

2. Opening the same file in Reader 9 many times* shows the PDF correctly.

3. I have used every conceivable PDF Export setting combination to try and troubleshoot what check box or export option might be causing the issues, but I've not found any combination that eliminates or even helps the problem.

4. I have completely up-to-date display adapter drivers from the manufacturer's website.

5. I have the latest Acrobat 9 updates.

Thanks for reading!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2009 9:45 PM   in reply to dishdesigner

Do any PDFs display? It almost sounds like no files would display, not just the ones you created.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2009 4:41 PM   in reply to dishdesigner

Sounds like it may be the PDF, but then again it may be your AA9 installation. To check the former, you may want to post a PDF here that you are having problems with. I will not be able to open it in AA9 (don't have that at this point), but others may be able to check it out.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2010 2:48 PM   in reply to dishdesigner

The same thing is happening to me except all my pdf files are now plain black screens! I have Acrobat 9 and CS4 too.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2010 5:57 PM   in reply to dishdesigner

May I know the minor version of Acrobat 9 you have installed? You can check that from Help>About Acrobat 9. Also is the PDF a scanned one? Or it includes any graphics? The method you used to create the PDF - is that using the PDF printer or the PDFmaker icon ? Try creating a simple document in word or notepad and convert. We need to isolate the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2010 8:38 PM   in reply to Bobby_Johnson_

Another possibility, particularly with scanned pages, is to be sure the preferences are set to view large images. If the PDF is a collection of images, you probably need that selection to view the PDF. Typically this selection is not checked.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2011 12:22 PM   in reply to dishdesigner

My engineers are just starting to upgrade to Acrobat 9.0 standard.   We were forces to from out 6.0, which worked just fine.  So far only one person has noticed their screen going black and the toolbars disappearing.  He does not have any READER installed which shouldn't matter.  It appears from what I've read here there is no solution at this time.  It doesn't happen to him all the time but it's very frustrating when it does.  The only thing he can do is quit out of the window and start up another window.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points