Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Load Path as Selection

Apr 19, 2009 3:57 PM

I completed my path and clicked Load Path as a Selection.  I have 2 cut out areas (holes) in the path, and the selection process did not include the holes, even though the path shows them.  I had the button pressed "exclude overlapping path areas" when I made the path.

How do I get the path to select the outline, minus the "holes"?  Kind of like a coffee cup profile with the hole in the handle excluded to show just the outline of the cup.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2009 4:12 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Create your first path. Click on the "Subtract from path area"  button. Draw your second interior path. Finally, load the path as a selection.

Paulo

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2009 11:50 PM   in reply to Curt Y

curt y wrote:

I had the button pressed "exclude overlapping path areas" when I made the path.

That should work, don't know why it didn't, maybe it's reset prefs time.

But anyway you can still subtract the holes. Fetch the path selection tool (the black arrow) and click / shift-click to select the sub-paths you want to punch out. Then hit the subtract path button in the options bar.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2009 12:33 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Here's the problem with working with paths in Photoshop: the stacking of the shapes inside the path is very important but you can't easily change that.

The uppermost shape interacts with all the shapes beneath it acording to the settings in the Options bar, if you want to rearange them you will have to select the path you want to bring to the front, Cut it and then Paste it back in place. You won't notice any difference on screen but now the path you just pasted is at the top of the stack

So if you first make a large circle and then you make a small circle in the middle of it, to cut out the small circle from the large one you have to select the small circle and from the options bar select Subtract from Shape area because the small circle is at the top. But if you first make the small circle and then the large one and want to achieve the same result then you have to select the large circle and select Exclude from Shape area. Or of course cut/paste the small circle so that it's at the top of the stack and then with it selected chose Subtract from Shape area

Untitled-2.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2009 9:52 AM   in reply to Zeno Bokor

The information on changing path stacking order is useful. Thanks !

Paul

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points