Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can't search pdf file

Apr 23, 2009 2:07 AM

I have some pdf files that opens, prints etc. just fine. But i can't search fo word in them. It simplys doesn't find words that actually are in the document.

If I copy/paste some of the text to Word (or anywhere else) it shows strange charecters:

this should have said: INTERNATIONAL

My thought is that it could be some strange kind of copy protection of documents to prevent copy/paste from the document, that as a side effect messes up the search function...

Any ideas what to do or what is wrong?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2009 2:16 AM   in reply to Tingholm

It is likely either a collection of pictures of pages or the font is not compatible with your search.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2009 2:39 AM   in reply to Tingholm

I was just giving a guess on the fonts. Fonts have a variety of things that come up, including 2 byte fonts and such. The search button does not denote the font and thus it may be looking for a representation that it can nto find. I am just guessing a bit, but it is the only idea I have.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2009 3:15 AM   in reply to Tingholm

When you look at the list of fonts what can you see about encoding of the fonts?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2009 4:23 AM   in reply to Tingholm

Look at the Fonts tab in the document properties.

I'm using Adobe Reader

Why did you post your question in the forum for Adobe Acrobat?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2009 5:47 AM   in reply to Tingholm

The file was created by GhostScript and has 1 bitmap font and the rest are embedded Type 1 and TrueType. However, none of the fonts are familiar (even for LaTex) with names F1 to F10. The bitmap is R11. My guess is that Acrobat is not matching these up with what is entered in the search window. You might ask further in the Reader forum, but the answer will probably be the same.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points