Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

where is source for playerglobal.swc?

Apr 23, 2009 7:28 AM

In trying to build entirely from source code, I've come across a dependency on trunk/frameworks/libs/player/10/playerglobal.swc, but I don't see how/where that gets built.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2009 5:34 AM   in reply to slinabery

I am afraid it is a part of Flash Player 10 which is not open source (yet ).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2009 12:51 PM   in reply to slinabery

Playerglobal.swc includes just the interface definitions for classes that are in the Player.  The code itself is all baked into Flash Player and can't be modified.  We don't provide a text version of the interface definitions as modifying it would break your code.

Matt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2009 9:35 AM   in reply to slinabery

Most of the code is actually C++ code, it's not ActionScript, it just has AS APIs exposed.  So we're not including source for it at this point.

Matt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2009 4:06 PM   in reply to slinabery

The output you are targeting is closed source unfortunately, we don't have the ability to provide source for the runtime, so you have to rely on the SWC which provides the metadata that you need for compilation.

It's not a perfect system but it's the best we can provide.  I know you want to argue the semantics of it, but it's not gonna make much of an impression on me.  You do not need playerglobal.swc to build mxmlc see itself, you need playerglobal.swc to use mxmlc to target the Flash Player.  If you were to take the compiler, adjust it to not rely on the Flash Player (by not using the framework at all and outputting different classes), then you wouldn't need playerglobal.swc.

Matt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2009 7:36 AM   in reply to slinabery

The format of .swc files is a published standard, isn't it ?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2009 12:06 PM   in reply to slinabery

Hi ya

Not meaning to sound off'ish here, but why exactly do you even need this source?

Also I really don't see how this part of the system being closed has any influence on how 'open source' the framework is.

You wouldn't expect the Flash Player to be OS so why would the interface code need to be? It's not something you'd ever want to change really.

I may be totally wrong of course and you may have a reason to need this and not having it may be causing you a problem but for the life of me I can't see what.

Be interested to hear exactly what the problem with not having the source is

Again please don’t read the above as confrontational (always too easy to sound that way in an email), it's not meant to be. Just curious

glenn

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2009 2:36 PM   in reply to slinabery

Arrr, all becomes clear

Interesting project tho.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2009 6:24 AM   in reply to slinabery

Well, those must only be guidlines, because, for instance, there are closed binary blobs in various wireless and graphics drivers...

In fact, the very document you quote says "Some software (usually related to compilers or cross-compiler environments) cannot be build without the use of a previous toolchain" so that's *exactly* the case here.

Have you spoken to the people it asks you to speak too ?

If there really is a proplem, I'm sure both Adobe and Fedora would want to resolve it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2009 2:24 AM   in reply to slinabery

hello matt, hello everybody

one question here: swf file format is open. is it legal to decompile playerglobal.swc and make the sources public? after all, this is trivial to do

and, steve, i guess: flex sdk can also be used to target tamarin directly (i used it in this project: http://code.google.com/p/mod-actionscript/ ), so it's "raison d'etre" can be considered a bit wider

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2009 9:55 AM   in reply to Victor-D

It's not technically in the license that you can decompile playerglobal but it shouldn't be a big deal since changing that code won't actually do anything.  It's all baked into the Player, it can't be modified.

Matt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2009 6:36 AM   in reply to matt_chotin

Hello,

Is it possible to create a dummy SWC which contains all the function definitions like this:

package flash.accessibility
    {

import flash.display.DisplayObject;

public class Accessibility
    {
         public static native function get active():Boolean;

public static native function sendEvent(source:DisplayObject, childID:uint, eventType:uint, nonHTML:Boolean = false):void;

public static native function updateProperties():void;

};

}

Greetings

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2009 2:48 PM   in reply to tniederhausen

It's not something we have time to generate ourselves right now, but 

maybe something we can do in the future.  But yes, it should be 

possible to do this.

Matt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2010 5:46 PM   in reply to matt_chotin

Two things:

1) It's trivial to generate such mock code just using the catalog.xml from playerglobal.swc and describeType(), you could build an AIR app to do it in 2 hours. I'm *assuming* that wouldn't violate any terms of the license, and as there's no copy protection on Player and you're only doing it for interop, you're not violating any laws.

2) From the top of my head, the source for playerglobal.abc is in Tamarin anyway.

-Josh

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2011 3:50 PM   in reply to slinabery

It bored me to tears to find it but here it is : https://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html - at the bottom of the page.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points