Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

no lzw for 16 bit export

Apr 25, 2009 9:27 PM

Wondering why LR doesn't offer LZW compression for 16 bit tiff export, since PS offers it when saving as for 16 bit tiffs. Saving with LZW is faster than with ZIP in PS

Anyone see a downside to exporting as 16bit tif with ZIP, then opening is PS, editing, and then saving as with LZW? Upside is it's a faster save

BTW, I export then open in PS from disk to edit. I don't like the send to PS from LR method, I'm not interested in going that route.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2009 9:43 PM   in reply to Scooby007

Even if Lightroom did use LZW compression I probably would not use it.  I occasionally use Noise Ninja to apply noise reduction, and it doesn't seem to accept images that have been compressed.  From what I have seen, LZW compression doesn't seem to make that big of a difference anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2009 9:59 PM   in reply to Scooby007

Compared to Zip LZW is not particularly good at compressing photographic images, and is especially poor when they're 16 bit. Also, LZW doesn't handle noise all that well. It's not unusual for such images to end up weighing in larger than the original.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2009 10:23 PM   in reply to Scooby007

The compression is lossess, so going back and resaving the files isn't going to gain you any extra data. Therefore, it's probably more efficient to keep doing as you are now with existing files.

The reason that OS mode is faster is because it's not trying to hook into the Version Cue client that your probably not using anyway (PITA as it is in a non multi user environment)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2009 10:38 PM   in reply to Scooby007

Not that it's going to change anything written above, but to avoid future confusion - LZW is available when you choose to export as 8-bit. I't's not available for 16-bit for the reasons I outlined previously.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points