Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to Make Video Fit the Screen? (no boxing)

Apr 27, 2009 1:43 PM

Hi I have finished my video almost now. However when it is played back in WMV it is like in a letterbox in the middle of the screen. I want to upload it to YouTube so it will look quite small on the screen. Is there a way I can expand it to fit the screen better? There seems to be room both laterally and vertically to expand it. I just looked at the DVD box and it says 16:9 - is this widescreen? not sure. I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

Rich

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 27, 2009 2:05 PM   in reply to Rich_P7

Are you making a  YouTube upload of a commercial DVD?

What are your project settings in Premiere Elements? Are they set for widescreen?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2009 2:51 PM   in reply to Rich_P7

Unfortunately, you can't change your project settings after you've started a project. Only when you've started it.

So I think you'll need to start a 16:9 project and import that footage into it in order to get a widescreen output. Which, sadly, would mean starting your project from scratch.

I think there's a hack for changing your project settings mid-project that was created by one of the people on http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/ .

Maybe someone who knows it will chime in with it, and it may save you some time.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2009 3:20 PM   in reply to Rich_P7

If you have wide screen video in a 4:3 prolect you will getthe black bars on top and bottom if you have scale to frame size selected. Righ click each clip and de-se;ect that option to see if that helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2009 7:34 AM   in reply to Rich_P7

If you have 4:3 material in a 16:9 Project, and do not want to start a new Project with the proper preset, you might be able to live with "converting" your 4:3 footage to 16:9 by Interpret Footage (choose 16:9 PAR 1.33) in the Project Panel. This will yield a slightly horizontally expanded look (Aunt Marge might complain that she looks "fat," but it might not be too bad). It might not be objectionable, but only you can make that determination. Another "fix" could be to apply a Motion>Scale (and maybe a bit of Motion>Position) to the footage. This will effectively crop a bit of the top and/or bottom off of your footage, The "look" will be correct, but you will have lost a tiny bit from top, bottom or top & bottom. I would choose the latter, and experiment with the Motion>Position, so that you loose the least from whichever (top, or bottom, or both) part of the image that you choose. There is usually a bit more material, than one absolutely needs, and it's up to you to make that decision.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2009 4:16 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hi,

You may try motion scaling for each clip in your project.Go to Properties and tweak the slider for Motion scaling so that the clip sixe fits the screen.Do this for each of the clips in your project and you get the desired output.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2010 3:28 PM   in reply to greg stuart

hi i am editing a video and in the importing and the sorce box my video fits the screen but in the box that plays what i am editing it fits as a small box in the center with all this extra space around it and when i exported it onto a dvd it just came up as a little video in the middle of the screen. how do i get it to just fit the whole page?

-Joe

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2010 3:44 PM   in reply to joelugo973

Welcome to the forum.

When the display is off-size in the Program Monitor, it normally indicates a mismatch between the Project Preset and the source AV file.

You can use the free utility G-Spot to get the information on your AV source material. Your Project Preset must match that 100%, or mismatches will occur.

Let us know what G-Spot says about your source material, and what your Project Preset is.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points