Skip navigation
fotojunkie67
Currently Being Moderated

Disable Links in PDF?

May 1, 2009 11:53 AM

Is there  way to disable links in a pdf?

I know all about the link tool and the actual,  underlined links.  Those are easy to disable by deleting the information or redirecting them elsewhere.

However, there are links that appear as text in the document, but when you pass your cursor ove them, they are actually links.

I am working with emails that have been converted to pdf docs and I am seeing this quite a bit.

Is there a way to disable those particular types of links?  I have been using the link tool to put a box around the link and redirect it.  I am concerned, though, that this measure can be removed and the information can be accessed.

Is there a more permanent, secure method?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 1, 2009 12:35 PM   in reply to fotojunkie67

Why want you disable the links?

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2009 12:57 PM   in reply to fotojunkie67

Under Advanced > Document Processing  there is a "Remove all links" option which will remove all links in the document or on a specified page range. But that's going to remove all links. If there are links you'll want to maintain you'd have to recreate them or (if it would work) select only a page range.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2009 1:04 PM   in reply to Laura_M.

Keep in mind that if the links are spelled out (start with http:// or the like) they may be recognized as links on the users end unless they have disabled that function (it's on by defaut) in Reader or Acrobat.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2009 3:03 PM   in reply to ~graffiti

Good point, files generated by applications such as Word will have links created automatically from URLs if (in Preferences > General tab)  "Create Links from URLs" is ON, and which is ON by default. This doesn't seem to happen with files created in InDesign or Illustrator.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2009 6:32 AM   in reply to fotojunkie67

Remove the links with the Redaction Tool.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2010 2:02 PM   in reply to fotojunkie67

Hello fotojunkie67

Were you able to resolve this? We're running into the same problems.

We were able to come up with a work around by placing a link box over the 'url' text and having the url go nowhere.

The pdf allows a cursor or pointer to hover over and click on the text but it doesn't go anywhere.

We're thinking there is a better solution.

AD

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2010 2:11 AM   in reply to AnnaD13

In the preferences you can disable the entry 'Create links from URLs'.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points