Skip navigation

Storage rules for an editing rig. Some basics.

May 3, 2009 12:19 PM

Latest reply: Gf1317, Mar 20, 2012 2:22 PM
Replies 1 2 3 4 5 4 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2012 10:08 PM   in reply to Gf1317

Hi and thanks for the replies.

Gf1317 - my mobo is Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R. I'm struggling to see the significant differences (capacity aside) between the F3 HD103SJ and the F3 HD502HJ that you mention. The Samsung site redirects to Seagate and the info is poor.

Bill Gehrke - the Seagate is around £100 with Amazon and so not too bad. I seem to remember reading that a certain generation of Seagate drives were to be avoided but the newer models are okay; is this correct.

Any thoughts on my other questions especially using my spare 64GB SSD for pagefile.

Many thanks.

Claire

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 5:39 AM   in reply to claris38

Claire,

Avoid Seagate's ending in .11 (11th gen. are "possessed"!).

Regarding your 64GB SSD, suggest you not use it at all. It simply will not bring much to the party for video editing. You already have a fast SSD for your OS/programs and the write speeds are so poor for SSDs that it will likely underperform your larger, newer rotating drives.

If I had a spare 64GB SSD I think I would want to find a high performance USB 3.0 case for it and use it like a USB stick - on steriods!

Regards,

Jim

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to JEShort01

Jim,

What about using it for project files where you don't have much writing going on?  I've got two ssd in raid zero with 500mb/s read speeds.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 10:19 AM   in reply to Gf1317

Gf,

You can certainly try it. I played with a 5xSSD RAID 0 array that benchmarks a 1.5GB (1500MB/sec) read speed and it only worked OK for project files. I simply love SSDs for OS/programs and laptops, but for some reason - likely sustained write speed - they just don't seem to excel with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.

Jim

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 10:24 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

If the preview files and cache are on a seperate drive, what writting would be involved with the media drive? (other than occasional saves of your project file).  I understand the importance of having the cache on a non ssd drive, but I thought just having the media files on a ssd would be good?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 1:28 PM   in reply to Gf1317

Jim & Gf,

Many thanks for the responses and ideas. I now understand about not using SSD's where there is very frequent writing. A problem with my limited knowledge is I'm not too sure which categories (ie media, projects, pagefile etc etc) of materials are accessed / written to so often as to make them non-starters for SSD.

So, you are saying that project files and media are suitable candidates for the 'spare' SSD - what about the pagefile ?

Thanks for you help.

regards,

Claire

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 2:22 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Claire,

Someone else will have to confirm that media files only get read from and your project file obviously only gets written to when you hit save.  At least thats my understanding and why I dumped them on a ssd drive.  Your pagefile, think of it as system memory that resides on a drive.  Like memory it gets read/written constantly and would be better served by a platter drive, in raid configuration for best performance.  With the drives I had laying around I settled on this for my system:

c: system -ssd

d: pagefile, cache and preview files - hdd raid 0

e: media files, project files- ssd raid 0

external nas in raid 5 with all my media files backed up.  I accept the hours I put into the project file being lost if I loose a raid 0 ssd drive.  I guess I could move that, but don't really know how a project file affects the performance of premiere.  If HD were not so expensive now, maybe I would look into a four drive system, per previous recommendations.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 5 4 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (3)