Skip navigation
eliot1785
Currently Being Moderated

XML code coloring incorrectly parses in CDATA areas

May 5, 2009 8:01 AM

Dreamweaver CS4's code view starts parsing text as a string (for purposes of code coloring, at least) whenever it runs into a single or double quote in the middle of a CDATA section in an XML file. So everything turns green (default string color) until the parser finds another quote mark.

This is not the appropriate behavior, because characters in CDATA fields are supposed to be ignored except for ]]>. How can I fix this problem?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 5, 2009 8:11 AM   in reply to eliot1785

You can't fix the problem. Dreamweaver's code coloring doesn't recognize CDATA sections. You can file a bug report/feature request here: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2009 4:11 PM   in reply to eliot1785

It's not surprising that Dreamweaver doesn't support nowdoc syntax, because it's new to PHP 5.3, which still hasn't been released.

However, you're right that it doesn't support either heredoc or nowdoc syntax. Requests for support in future versions of Dreamweaver have been submitted.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2009 3:24 AM   in reply to eliot1785

heredoc syntax was added in PHP 4 many years ago. They ought to have added this to DW several versions ago.

Features get added to Dreamweaver based on what the development team judges to be the most useful to the widest range of users. I agree that heredoc (and nowdoc) syntax should be correctly interpreted by Dreamweaver's syntax coloring, but it will happen only if sufficient numbers of people ask for it, either through the feature request form or the other user research Adobe does. Thanks for submitting the request. Let's hope they act on it for next time round.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2013 5:01 AM   in reply to David_Powers

Thank you for the link to the bug reporting system. Dreamweaver and Adobe tools have been out for a long time. It seems like they would want to address this issue. Color coding is important, I would prefer if it were turned off all together if it's going to show up as broken. I can use other tools to validate my XML.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points