Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Free Reader 9 and Professional 9

May 14, 2009 10:04 AM

I was told that if you have Professional 9 Pro you do not need to have the reader on as well, I have uninstalled the reader on my machine.  College just got Pro and was working on a form, distributing form, everything was working fine.  I noticed that she also had reader on, told her what I was told... to uninstall the reader.

She did, but then when she wanted to distribute the new form, it would not let her, it was greyed out.

So she reinstalled the free reader and now can distribute the form?  What is with that?

Also now all the files she has in pdf are opening in Reader?   Solutions are most appreciated.  Thank YOU

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 14, 2009 11:10 AM   in reply to Coldstream

Uninstall both and then install just the Pro version. It's not a good idea to have both versions at the same time.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2009 4:55 PM   in reply to Coldstream

If you remove Reader, you will likely have to repair Acrobat Pro. That is part of the problem with them both present in that they use shared resources and also have memory resident parts that drive folks up a wall. It is best to remove Reader and repair Pro. You should also update Pro to the latest version (9.1.1 I think).

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2009 5:17 AM   in reply to Coldstream

This might be so but I need to have both Reader and Pro on the same machine so I can test the form.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2009 7:24 AM   in reply to stevenschlossman

You can probably do that, but it is not recommended. If you do it, you will have to deal with the memory resident portions that typically is the big hang up. Also, you will probably want to make Pro your default and bring up Reader only when needed. In either case, you will probably have to go to the task list and remove the memory resident part of one before the other will run. DO NOT remove AcroTray or you will not be able to create PDFs. It is not part of the running Acrobat.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2009 8:46 AM   in reply to stevenschlossman

Surely you have access to another machine that you can put Reader on !

You should be running the same enviornment when testing your form as your end users will. I assume most of them will only have Adobe Reader installed ? Therefore you should test on a machine that only has Reader installed. Otherwise you don't or won't know if your testing is "real world".

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2009 8:51 AM   in reply to S.D.A.

Everyone has reader, but not everyone has Pro.

I sometimes use a computer that doesn't have Pro to test a form.

Very inconvenient at times.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2009 8:55 AM   in reply to stevenschlossman

Depending how "technical" you are: I would use a virtual machine on the same computer if I were you, and run Reader on that. I surely wouldn't be using Reader on an Acrobat Professional install. You don't get predictable results that way.D

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points