Skip navigation
jmelliott194
Currently Being Moderated

Continuous Shooting Mode Setting Download

May 14, 2009 2:58 PM

I use a Nikon D70 and shoot sports events on continuous shooting mode setting. Photos are in correct sequence when viewed on camera. When downloaded, photos are often out of sequence. Any suggestions as to how I might fix this problem? Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 14, 2009 3:08 PM   in reply to jmelliott194

Can I presume you're talking fractions of a second as in the continuous mode? Do you use cam. generated naming? And if so, will that sorting method work?

What version of LR?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2009 12:20 AM   in reply to jmelliott194

Yes, the problem is the sub-second time. Since the D70 shoots at 3 fps, no wonder some files end up having exactly the same time, up to the second. It's not clear, though, why wouldn't Lightroom use the filename as the second sorting criteria — that would ensure correct order, since cameras are numbering the files sequentially.

You have two options:

1. Free — just sort by filename. Cameras number the files in the correct order, no matter if the time is the same.
    2. Cheap (99$) — update to Lightroom 2.3. Since v2, Lightroom retrieves the sub-second information from the files, and even if the fractions of seconds are not displayed in the Metadata panel, these are used for sorting. I am not sure all cameras record subsecond information in EXIF, but my own D70 does for sure.

NOTE: If you'll be updating your catalog from v1 to v2, rather than importing the files in a fresh v2 catalog, you'll have to Save, then Read back Metadata for your D70 files, in order to ensure the subsecond information is actually read from files. That's because v1 didn't bother to read this info, so it's not there.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points