Skip navigation
adrianqed
Currently Being Moderated

Apparent conflict between Reader and Acrobat

May 15, 2009 9:32 AM

On my home computer I have the Adobe Acrobat 6.0 program.  I also have  downloaded Adobe Reader 9.  When I download pdf documents from websites I often  get an error message that I must use Adobe reader 8 or 9.  It seems to me that  Internet Explorer is defaulting to the Adobe Reader in Acrobat 6 and not using  Adobe Reader 9.  Even if I have Adobe Reader 9 open when I open Explorer it  defaults to Acdobe 6.  How can I get Explorer to use Adobe Reader 9?  I don't  want to take the Acrobat 6 off of my system permanently (although I will remove  it temporarily if that will get Explorer to start defaulting to 9. 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2009 8:37 PM   in reply to adrianqed

You don't say in what platform you are. In Windows, you shouldn'i have both Acrobat and Reader in he same computer. And there isn't a Reader in Acrobat.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2009 2:41 PM   in reply to adrianqed

It's best to remove both from your system then reinstall the one you want. Uninstalling one of them may break the other.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2009 5:34 PM   in reply to ~graffiti

I'm having the same problem, but I think the solution of "Remove One" version is not a reasonable solution.  For one, Adobe Acrobat 6.0 does not appear to be compatible with Internet Explorer 7.0 on Windows XP.  When you click on a PDF document from a browser, I get the message:

"The Adobe Acrobat/Reader that is running can not be used to view PDF files in a web browser.  Adobe Acrobat Version 8 or 9 is required.  Please exit and Try Again."

For a second reason, the Acrobat Reader 9.0 is much slicker than Adobe Acrobat 6.0, so it's a much better tool to read documents.

On the same token, Acrobat obviously has a bunch of features that the reader cannot do, mainly build PDF files, so that functionality needs to be present.

Isn't there a way to configure IE 7.0 to use Adobe Reader 9.0 as the default reader?  There must be a config file somewhere that fixes this?

Thanks for your help.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2009 7:53 PM   in reply to david_sherwood

There is no way to do what you want. There are known conflicts with Reader and Acrobat on the same Windows computer system. This is inherent in the way Windows and Acrobat and REader are designed. They both want to control the same resources simultaneously. If you want Reader to work for webpages, then configure Windows to boot Reader on launch. As long as you don't launch Acrobat, IE should use Reader for rendering webpages.

BTW as long as Acrobat 9 is for sale you can get Acrobat 9 as an upgrade from Acrobat 6. That will no longer be true when Acrobat 10 goes on sale. I can understand the reluctance to spend money for software unnecessarily. However, these are business tools and keeping your tools up to date is part of the price of doing business.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2009 12:23 AM   in reply to adrianqed

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2009 6:11 PM   in reply to kashifMohd

Thanks for the help.  In fact, the solution I ended up with, though not perfect, works for my purposes.  I told Acrobat that I want to display internet files in the browser (Edit->Preferences->Internet) and then told Reader that I DO NOT want it to display in the browser.  The result is very livable:

1.  If neither Acrobat or Reader is open, when I click on a PDF file in a browser it quickly opens Readers and I can read it there.  This is fine.

2.  If Acrobat 6.0 happens to be open (not very often for me), then it will open the PDF in 6.0 (though many files don't convert correctly, so it's usually better to read in Reader 9.0)

3.  They are unhappy if you try to open both simultaneously.  But that's not a problem for me, since I use Reader 100% of the time for reading and Acrobat only for creating documents.  Since the default from the web browser is now Reader, I'm satisfied.

At some point, I'll upgrade to Acrobat 9, but this solution suits me for now.  Thanks for your help.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points