Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Cannot export to jpeg - disk may be locked or full

May 19, 2009 1:19 AM

Hello!

I have a colleague, who's unable to export her documents (be it Jpeg or PDF). We're using Windows XP SP3 and CS3.

Her computer is a 2.4 Ghz P4 (afaik) with 2 GB ram and lots of free harddrive space (80GB+).

Still, when she try to export a relatively small document, InDesign claims the disk is locked or full. I've tried exporting it on her desktop as well on the server, where she is supposed to save it - but no luck.

When I try to export to PDF, it claims it's in lack of memory, even though there's still physical memory available, as well as a large page-file.

I'm quite sure, it's a bug in InDesign - but what do I do about it?

Thanks in advance

Thomas

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 19, 2009 2:28 AM   in reply to XorpiZ

Thomas

In my experience you're better off letting Windows manage your paging files. I've had problems when IT decided that they should change my page file size to a fixed number. I experienced poor performance and problems like yours. Once I traced what IT did on my computer I changed it back to windows managed and everything worked fine again.

See if it helps.

I'm certain it's not an indesign problem, but a problem with your system setup.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2009 2:50 AM   in reply to XorpiZ

I'd suggest getting more RAM.

Spec your motherboard and see how much RAM it can take and the best RAM for your motherboard.

Sounds like a performance issue.

How old is the computer and what type of RAM is currently installed?

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2009 3:04 AM   in reply to XorpiZ

As far as I know those workstations have Dual Channel DDR 2 RAM 533mhz

It's probably not enough RAM, not enough power. It's not even dual core processor, it's a single core with hyper-threading (which mimics dual core capability).

Perhaps there are some settings in the BIOS you can switch on, like HyperThreading, which may improve performance when having Illy and InD opened.

But I think the computer is just too old.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2009 3:30 AM   in reply to XorpiZ

What way are there paging files set up? What way is the bios setup on their computers? What other apps are they running in the background? Perhaps there's too much loading up at startup?

If it works fine on other computers then it's not indesign, it's the computer.

And if you're not in a position to get new computers then you can buy DDR2 RAM for about $50 or probably less.

The life cycle of any computer I've ever had is between 3 - 5 years before I buy a new one. If I can't buy a new one on year 3 I upgrade it as much as I can for as little as I can.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2009 6:30 AM   in reply to XorpiZ

I'm not buying the inadequate hardware argument. I only have 2 gigs of ram, and ran a 3.2 gHz P4 'til last summer when the mobo burned out, and I've never had that sort of problem. I also have a custom paging file set for a minimum of 2GB, and a max of 4.

Try emptying the temp folders.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2009 6:45 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Another bit of witchcraft that can sometimes solve a problem like this (and may be related to Peter's suggestion to empty temp folders): Try creating a new user account and running ID from there.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2009 6:48 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

It could be that too.It's usually good to rid the .tmp and .dmp files once in a while.

I get the out of memory message a lot when i've been using the computer all day. I have a dual core computer, 2gb ram too and it happens.

I have seen when IT set my paging file for me that I got the message more times than not. When I changed it back to windows managed the problem mostly went away.

I'm waiting for someone to suggest defragging too

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2009 7:03 AM   in reply to XorpiZ

making a new user account is out of the question

I'm not suggesting it as a fix, but as a way to point up the source of the problem. It doesn't even have to be a new account. If you can make the problem go away by logging into a different account, you'll have an idea that it's a temp file problem.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2009 7:09 AM   in reply to XorpiZ

The problem could be down to the Cache and the AGP (if you have one?) where the cache and vcache is being addressed by the AGP which leaves little room for the virtual memory.

I meant there's tonnes of reasons why a computer goes "out of memory" or registers "disk full".

I suppose a new account if it works then great.

Wiping the temp files is good too.

Wiping the harddrive - reinstalling etc. should be a last resort.

And I suppose the final thing to try would be more RAM.

But it could be anything.

Perhaps if you have the warranty on it still you could get tech support from HP?

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2009 7:25 AM   in reply to XorpiZ

I'm nearly sure that card is a pci express 2.0

Still could be do with the cache and the vcache. Impossible to tell, clutching at straws here.

I'm not sure it's adobes problem that your computer keeps running out of memory, aside from the fact that the products need a fair bit of memory to run.

I remember working on a Mac years ago where I could only have 1 app open at a time. If I wanted to edit an illustrator file I had to quit Quark, edit the file, quit illustrator, launch quark.

Just a sad story to pick up your spirits

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 10:06 AM   in reply to XorpiZ

I know this is an old forum but I just had this happen to me on my Windows 8 Lenovo PC.  I was trying to export to a .jpg and was getting the error disk may be locked or full.  I looked into it (how I found this forum) and knew that it wasn't a hardware/performance problem (few months old PC and I went overkill and jammed it full with 16 GB RAM).  I tried changing file names, closing open windows, etc. 

What worked for me was saving all of my work shutting down the pc and rebooting.  Indesign was able to export the same file after that. 

Maybe this will work for you.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 8:38 PM   in reply to littleg25232

Same, I'm on a custom built gaming computer which can probably run the whole dang creative suite...at the same time...and I'm getting that above mentioned error. It started when I tried exporting to a pdf file and nothing happened. I tried exporting to JPG as a workaround.

I'll try that reboot trick and see if it works, if not then I guess you guys will be seeing me around the forums then.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 4:09 AM   in reply to jogirob

Could also be a corrupt image link on the page.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 12:11 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Having the same problem, with just one page of a document on export to jpeg. Pages either side of it are fine.

I'd had problems with that page crashing InDesign, but was okay after I rebuilt it. So perhaps something corrupt is still lurking away there!

Worked fine after I shut down ID and started it up again. (IDCS6)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 4:25 AM   in reply to Katharine Shade

Certainly sounds that way. I'd wait untill the problem comes up again, then try moving half the page content to the pasteboard and exporting. Move it back and put the other half on the pasteboard. Repeat the process, dividing any half that failed the export test, untill you isolate the problem(s).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points