Skip navigation
elishagt
Currently Being Moderated

How to Export with Transparent Background

Sep 24, 2008 8:46 AM

I have created a logo in Freehand 10, and I need to export it as an EPS with a transparent background to place in an InDesign document. How do I export the file with a transparent background?

Thanks!
-Elisha

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 24, 2008 10:37 AM   in reply to elishagt
    > I have created a logo in Freehand, and I need to export it as an EPS with a
    > transparent background to place in an InDesign document. How do I export the
    > file with a transparent background?

Just export eps without screen image. InDesign can read the file and show it on screen.

Also exporting as illustrator file (v7) works but some effects may be lost. Now I make graphics with Illustrator and just import the native illustrator files - and photoshop files too, even with layers.

InDesign imports pdf files too, but FreeHand can't always create production quality pdf.

Jukka

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 24, 2008 12:09 PM   in reply to Newsgroup_User
    > Please excuse my lack of experience, but can you please explain what you mean
    > by "without screen image"?

In general contents of eps files (encapsulated postscript) cannot be viewed with layout programs and alike. Therefore a screen image must be included for placing. When the document is printed to a postscript printer or exported as pdf the screen image is omitted and the postscript code is used. In this case it is not 'What you see is what you get' but "What you get is what you can't see'.

In Windows the screen image has always been a opaque bitmap image but in mac screen image can be 'clipped'. In both platforms, however, the postscript output is the same i.e. without background.

> I did try exporting as Illustrator 7, but it only came in as a grey box in
    > InDesign. I'm waiting on approval to purchase the upgrade to Illustrator CS3.

I'm not sure if InDesign CS2 can show contents of eps files, both Mac and Windows. I just tried exporting eps and ai from FreeHand and they worked well in Windows InDesign CS3.

Usually eps file without screen image appear as white box and all the images as grey boxes if Disply Performance is set to Fast Disply in InDesign. So check InDesign display settings.

Also try to export eps with a screen image.

If the logo is simple with just outline objects it can be copypasted into InDesign as well. In FreeHand 'copy special' and select the clipboard format.

Jukka

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points