Skip navigation
Jim Darrough
Currently Being Moderated

Using Superscript in Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro

May 27, 2009 9:05 AM

I would like to know how to enter scientific formulae in my Adobe documents. Is there a way to suberscript exponents? The Adobe online help and built-in help are NOT easy to use and, in my opinion, useless.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 27, 2009 9:14 AM   in reply to Jim Darrough

I don't know... but there are also 2 others forums to check

Acrobat Scripting Forum http://forums.adobe.com/community/acrobat/acrobat_scripting

Acrobat SDK Developer Forum http://forums.adobe.com/community/acrobat/acrobat_scripting

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2009 9:58 AM   in reply to Jim Darrough

Acrobat isn't a editor. Create your document in Word and convert the document to PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2009 10:08 AM   in reply to Bernd Alheit

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2009 12:01 PM   in reply to Jim Darrough

Where are you attempting to enter the superscipt -- in a text box or just with the regular text of the document?

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2009 2:37 PM   in reply to Jim Darrough

You would do this at at the authoring stage prior to converting to PDF.

Acrobat can make minor character channges or swap out images but changes

other than that should always be done in the layout stage. Acrobat is NOT a

layout application. One would normally use Adobe InDesign with a plugin for

Maths chars.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2009 3:11 PM   in reply to John T Smith

John, don't you think it's bad form to suggest a competing product, while on

Adobe property ? These are Adobe forums/servers. I'm not a fanboy, just dislike

rudeness. It's like eating Burger King food at a McDonalds.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2009 7:28 PM   in reply to Jim Darrough

Jim,  I guess the first question is what are you trying to do? Are you trying to change text that is already in the pdf file? Trying to enter text into a form field or just trying to enter formulas in arbitrary places in the pdf? The next question is why? Then we can try to find out if there is a way to accomplish what you want. As has been said by others Acrobat is neither a WP or DTP program. If we can try to find out what you are trying to do we may be able to help you find a workflow that will accomplish what you want.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2009 11:31 PM   in reply to John T Smith

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2009 9:31 AM   in reply to John T Smith

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2009 12:52 PM   in reply to S.D.A.

S.D.A. wrote:

I read and sometimes write in the Premiere and Premiere Elements and Encore forums

When someone asks for a product to either extend one of those program's functions (a plugin) or to do something the Adobe program just won't do (usually, asking about converting a non-edit video codec to one that Prem/PreElem will edit) someone (sometimes me, if I see the message first) will post the name of software to do the job that Prem/PreElem won't do

I read and rarely write in the Photoshop forum... and I have sometimes seen other software mentioned when someone just can't get Photoshop to work

I read and rarely write in the Dreamweaver forum... and I have often seen other software mentioned when someone needs a function that is not possible in Dreamweaver

I also read and sometimes write in this forum... and when someone can't get Acrobat to work with Office 2007 (usually but not always an older version of Acrobat) I will mention that Microsoft has a free plugin that MAY do what the user needs

As far as McD -vs- BK... when was the last time you heard someone complain that they couldn't get a menu item from McD to "install" into their mouth?

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2009 12:31 AM   in reply to John T Smith

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2009 4:04 PM   in reply to John T Smith

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2009 6:34 PM   in reply to John T Smith

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2009 7:41 PM   in reply to John T Smith

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2009 8:47 PM   in reply to John T Smith

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2009 9:54 PM   in reply to John T Smith

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2009 12:07 AM   in reply to John T Smith

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2011 7:34 AM   in reply to Jim Darrough

How about going to tools, advanced editing then choosing “Touch-up text tool” then highlight the test you want to subscript/superscript then right click on it and choose properties then change the font size to 6 pt and set the baseline to X pt to get the desired effect??

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points