Skip navigation
dreamingtree
Currently Being Moderated

5.1 ac3 file clicks/drops out in encore blu-ray project

May 28, 2009 11:29 PM

We are having a hard time trying to get a 5.1 ac3 file to play properly in encore CS4. There is a clicking sound every few seconds. We have completed a sd dvd with the same ac3 file no problem but in the blu-ray project we have this strange clicking. Originaly the file worked fine then we made some modifications to the authoring and all of a sudden we had no audio. Today we downloaded ac3 codec and divix and the sound began to play again but with these strange clicks. We are using a Intel Mac. The ac3 files were made in compressor from aiff files. It is a 96 minute movie. Any help is appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 30, 2009 9:41 AM   in reply to dreamingtree

The first thing that I would do would be to clear the Media Cache. Could be some bad Transcoding left over from someplace. If Assets were ever changed, Encore could be confused as to which Cache files to use.

Next, how did you compress/encode from you AIFF source file to DD 5.1 SS AC3? Did you use the SurCode DD 5.1 SS encoder.

At any time, did you replace that AC3 Asset with an edited version? How did you do this, if the answer is yes? Exact steps could help find a clue.

Where does DivX come into play here?

Also, just for clarification, you did this originally as an SD DVD-Video Project and this same AC3 file was used in that. This SD DVD-Video played perfectly and the Audio is clean. Correct? What new Assets did you bring in for the BD version of this Project? How did you replace the SD versions?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2009 4:02 AM   in reply to dreamingtree

dreamingtree wrote:

We are having a hard time trying to get a 5.1 ac3 file to play properly in encore CS4. There is a clicking sound every few seconds. We have completed a sd dvd with the same ac3 file no problem but in the blu-ray project we have this strange clicking. Originaly the file worked fine then we made some modifications to the authoring and all of a sudden we had no audio. Today we downloaded ac3 codec and divix and the sound began to play again but with these strange clicks. We are using a Intel Mac. The ac3 files were made in compressor from aiff files. It is a 96 minute movie. Any help is appreciated.

AARGH.

Please, please lose DivX and ac3 codec.

These are not good things, and unless DivX has dramatically improved is well known to cause enormous issues.

ac3 codec shoul;d be unnecessary too - it is either a reverse engineered hack or a construct from the published ac3 specs, and will certainly not be Dolby licensed and therefore not properly DVD-Video compliant (never mind BDMV), and not recommended.

The encoder you have used should be just fine, as that one is properly compliant & licensed.

As to the disappearing audio, I would agree with Hunt's suggestions - try clearing (even deleting) the cache and relaunching the project forcing Encore to rebuild it. You mention "modifications to the authoring" - what were these, please?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2009 10:35 AM   in reply to dreamingtree

dreamingtree wrote:

We original made burned a blu-ray 5.1 disk that played perfectly. Then we needed to add a asset that was a short logo. Once we imported that the problem started.

I wonder if that is a co-incidence or a cause then?

What audio form did the logo have?

Also, did you add this as a timeline (Presumably First Play?) or as a motion menu? If as a timeline, try adding as a motion menu.

Does the problem go away again if you remove the logo asset? (Try removing the asset, and attempting a folder creation (or a BD-RE disc) and see if this clears the trouble. After removing the asset, clear the cache.

Another thing that might be worth a look (assuming the logo went in as a timeline) is creating a 5.1 DD audio stream to accompany it, even if it is a silent one. I'm not too well up on Blu Ray (avoiding it like the plague) but it might be a limitation somehow if you have different Audio streams in the timelines - maybe, just maybe, having the FP different to the main timeline is causing the trouble??

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2009 2:20 AM   in reply to dreamingtree

Okay - a couple more things to try, if you have the time.

1 - Remove that logo off the movie timeline. Immediately . Adding stacked clips to a timeline will cause issues with Dolby Digital unless you get lucky as DD encodes to fixed block sizes of 1536 samples. You may well lose sync, and if there is a hidden sync track, thjis might cause trouble.

Add the logo to a separate timeline of it must go as a timeline.

2 - Make certain the audio count & stream assignments are identical for the logo & for the movie. - for example, if the movie has 5.1 as Audio 0, make certain the logo does too.

3 - Best of all add the logo as a motion menu & set this to fist play instead.

Blu Ray authoring is a minefield - just wait until you want to (eventually) get content replicated!! (not that this is possible from Encore anyway)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2010 1:20 PM   in reply to dreamingtree

Was there ever a solution to this problem?

I seem to have the same problem.  Once the clicks/drops appeared, they are there:  in new projects, under different users, after permissions repair, after preferences nixed.

Stereo ac3s are fine, but not 5.1 ac3.  Previewing the asset before adding them to a timeline, they appear; in other words, the problem is there from the beginning, and before there are other assets in the Encore project.  The same files played in DVD Studio Pro are fine.

Mac, Snow Leopard, CS4

Many thanks for any insight.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2010 3:35 AM   in reply to Bill Kimzey

sopohocles wrote:

I seem to have the same problem.  Once the clicks/drops appeared, they are there:  in new projects, under different users, after permissions repair, after preferences nixed.

Stereo ac3s are fine, but not 5.1 ac3.  Previewing the asset before adding them to a timeline, they appear; in other words, the problem is there from the beginning, and before there are other assets in the Encore project.  The same files played in DVD Studio Pro are fine.

Mac, Snow Leopard, CS4

Many thanks for any insight.

I have a major concern here, and that is this:

If the preview is clicking, then the fault cannot lie with Encore - It must be with the audio subsystem.

How does Encore work with MacOS for audio? (I have no understanding of mac)

What is the bitrate of the 5.1 AC3 file please?

Was it also created with Compressor?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2010 7:43 AM   in reply to Neil Wilkes

It was my assumption that it was part of Encore's awful previewing until I burned a disc, and heard similar clicks.

I've tried various ways of listening to the audio, of changing Encore's playback device and Encore's Clock Source, to no avail.  Playback of the ac3 file is fine outside of Encore - only in Encore are there clicks and dropouts.

I've tried encoding both w/Apple's Compressor and w/Sorenson Squeeze.  I've tried various 5.1 standard bitrates.  No 5.1 ac3 file plays back as it should in Encore, though, again stereo ac3 files are fine.

I tried a test burn of a small sample disc w/a new project.  Although the clicks were still present in the preview, this time they were not on the disc.

Reauthoring the project, it appears that the audio is now good on the disc, though the 5.1 ac3s still click when listened to anywhere in Encore.  So, I'm assuming there were 2 problems, one w/Encore's previewing 5.1 ac3s in general, and one with the project, which was perhaps somehow corrupted.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2011 1:02 PM   in reply to Bill Kimzey

I have been searching over the internet for some answer about this audio problem.  I've found today this discussion that started more than a year ago. We're in 2011 and still no answer. I'm surprised that there's no hint on a solution. I've encountered the problem last week and I still don't know what to do about it.  I have a similar problem with cracks and pops when playing in timelime a project conceived of an m2V and AC3 (5.1) files created out from Premiere CS 5 using SurCode plugin. I do not have cracks and pops if I downgrade the 5.1 to 2.0.  Outside Encore, the AC3 file is playing just fine.  There must be a compatibility issue here for the AC3 file.  I am using a MAC at work -(CS5) and a PC at home (CS5)  It does the same on both platforms. I wish someone would clear this up.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2011 4:17 AM   in reply to Martin-Bee

Martin-Bee wrote:

I have been searching over the internet for some answer about this audio problem.  I've found today this discussion that started more than a year ago. We're in 2011 and still no answer. I'm surprised that there's no hint on a solution. I've encountered the problem last week and I still don't know what to do about it.  I have a similar problem with cracks and pops when playing in timelime a project conceived of an m2V and AC3 (5.1) files created out from Premiere CS 5 using SurCode plugin. I do not have cracks and pops if I downgrade the 5.1 to 2.0.  Outside Encore, the AC3 file is playing just fine.  There must be a compatibility issue here for the AC3 file.  I am using a MAC at work -(CS5) and a PC at home (CS5)  It does the same on both platforms. I wish someone would clear this up.

So the clicks & pops only occur when previewing or playing out of Encore - not from burned discs?

If this is the case, it is sounding as if there is a computer issue here.

When Encore previews a 5.1 AC3 file, it decodes the audio back to PCM in 32-bit floating point mode so that is now 6 channels at 32/48 resolution.

Is the data on the same local HDD as the OS and application?

What happens if the Encore project gets moved to a separate, physical HDD?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2011 2:46 PM   in reply to Neil Wilkes

Hello Neil,

The cracks and pops (like an old vinyl LP) can be heard in the timeline, preview monitor and also on the buned disc, unfortunately.  I have discovered yesterday that the same observations can be made using the same medias in Premiere CS5! I can hear the pops in the preview monitor as well!  That's really something. Otherwise, when the ac3 file is played by VLC, for example, the sound is pure.  Realy confusing. May it has something to do with Premiere and Encore conforming audio when importing elements?  I am working on different HDD.  I know it's best. The pops occurs at same spots and regularly.

Thanks for your concern.

MB

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2011 3:13 AM   in reply to Martin-Bee

Hi Martin

A few things that may or may not help:

1 - Have you degragged the HDD where the data lives lately?

2 - How much space is left on the HDD where the data is?

3 - What is the speed of the HDD the data is loaded onto?

4 - What grunt do you have on your rig? (CPU, Memory etc)

5 - What is the Video resolution, and is the video located on the same HDD and'or subsystem?

The reason I am asking is that if VLC is playing the file properly, using it's internal library, yet Encore/Premiere is not then it has to be the conforming somehow. The AC3 is decoded back to 32-bit floating point LPCM at 48kHz and with full HD video that is one hell of a bitrate there.

For BD, I would be looking to get a SCSI array, RAID 0/1 for preference with the fastest drives I can get my paws on (15,000RPM here).

I'd also be looking to have Audio & Video on separate HDD as we do here.

I'm also wondering if you have the necessary power to actually do this? HD is a CPU killer.......

Keep the faith!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2011 1:19 PM   in reply to Neil Wilkes

Hello Neil

Thanks for your great input.

I did not defragged any HDD from the computer.

The project lies on a large HHD with more than 300 Gb free space left. The speed is 7200 rpm.(MAC)

2- Quad (2.8 Ghz) Intel XEON

8 Gb memory

The video is 1280 X 720 (M2V+ AC3 5.1).  I usually work with multiple HDDs and prefer never use the system HDD for datas and projects.

I must say one more thing: This is the fist time I encounter that kind of problem with a HD project. I recently worked on a full HD 1920 X 1080 progressive project with M2TS and AC3 medias without any sort of problem. It's just now. I believe there is something corrupted in the AC3 because of wrong conforming task by Encore. I have the same results on two different platforms PC and MAC.

I believe I've spent too much time looking for a different way to mount that project. I better abort this one. It's driving me crazy.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 11:54 AM   in reply to Martin-Bee

I giving up to use encore to make my DVDs ans Blu Rays. I bougth the very expensive Surcode Plugion , and the Rovi Suite, that have 5.1 included,  but encore , do not work with 5.1 audio. We tried everything here,

So now we use DVDLab Pro ( around 160 bucks ). DVD Lab have a inteligent way to work . It do not recompress or reencode any file. Only the muxing is done . The menus , cam be more complex than encore. So we have to plan how will be our disks, preencode , and prepare all files, and in DVDLab, the magic is done. Any loss of quaLITY whatsoever. Encore sucks...

Besty regards,

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)