Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

I can't edit overset text in InDesign CS4

May 28, 2009 10:36 PM

I have spent the last several hours trying to fix the overset text.  Every time I click on the little red overset text in the lower right hand corner, another text box pops up.  I have deleted it at least 150 times.  I just cannot get it to work.  I tried editing in story editor, but I've never used it, so I can't figure out how to do it. Ready to rip my hair out.  PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 28, 2009 10:57 PM   in reply to coffeesmith

What's happening when you click on that little red box is it's loading up your cursor with the overset text.  All you have to do is click and drag in a new place and it will do a new linked text box with the overset text in it.  If you just want to make a global change to the text click inside the box with the type tool and hit Ctrl+A (Select all) and when you make changes (e.g. to the font) it will do it for all text in the box.  Alternatively just use the selection tool to grab a corner of the box an drag it out until you can see all the text.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2009 11:19 PM   in reply to coffeesmith

It's gotta be there somewhere, try clicking in the text box, using Ctrl+A and reducing the point size until the red box goes away.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2009 11:59 PM   in reply to coffeesmith

Don't be frightened of the story editor Put your cursor in the text box and use Control (or Command) + Y to open it - can you see the over set text? You can click in that overset text and find information about it from the toolbar or palettes. Do you know how to make a screen shot of the toolbar or Paragraph styles palette and post it here using the camera icon above the message box?

Also turn on invisible characters if you haven't, you might find an extra new-frame character or something else that is tripping you up.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2009 4:35 AM   in reply to coffeesmith

As Kath says, the story editor is probably the place to start since you can at least see the text. It operates a lot like a low-end word processor.

It sounds like there is a problem in a line that prevents it from fitting in a frame. One common problem is that No Break has been applied to an entire paragraph or something similar (turning off hyphenation in narrow columns can do the same thing if you encounter a long string like a URL). Another common problem is that keep options are set in such a way that a paragraph cannot break. You,ll see style tags to the left of the text which can help you identify what styles are applied so you know where to start looking if the keeps are defined as part of a style.

Tables can also be an issue. ID will break a table between rows, but not mid-row. If a cell is too deep to fit the frame height it will exhibit the behavior you see. I think I've also seen a case where an entire table was set up as header rows, but I believe that caused ID to put one row per page, not to just go into overset.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2009 6:31 AM   in reply to coffeesmith

I find this continually happening to me in CS4 running XP and importing MS Word 97 documents.

Try everything Kath and Peter said to do first.

Then, when all else fails, make sure you select the text in Story Editor including the paragraph symbol as that may have formatting not reported. MS Word imports can contain style sheet info that ID doesn't report in the Control pallets or panels. Apply your style sheet within the Style Sheet panel and right click the style and choose 'Apply "Style", Clear Overrides' and see if that works. It seems to clear out the MS Word crap. Now click the text 'Out' port and click and drag a new text box.

I've gotten into the habit of importing my Word doc into a blank ID document, click on the text as if you are editing it, then go to 'File|Export...' and select RTF in the drop down menu at the bottom. And then re-import. It seems to clear out the Word crap and prevents venting to your computer screen!

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2009 11:11 AM   in reply to coffeesmith

The resolution isn't good enough in the word doc to make out exactly what it is, but it looks like a special character just before the overset, and I think it's some sort of break character.

Which enter key are you using? The one on the numberpad inserts a column break, and I think that's what we're looking at.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2009 11:18 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

In story editor, can you put your cursor immediately before the first character of overset text, and hit backspace? (I use a Mac, don't know if you do or if this will delete backwards for you. If not, put the cursor after the last character of non-overset text and hit Delete). You might manage to delete that troublesome character.

In normal view, not the story editor, have you turned on invisible characters? Can you see anything that looks odd?

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2009 11:23 AM   in reply to coffeesmith

OK, so you have a text box and when you hit return, you get no text showing in the remainder of the text box and just white space I take it. The text shows up in the Story Editor.

Did you select the whole paragraph (paragraph marker inclued) and check the 'Control Panel' and see if you have some huge leading going on or some 'Space After' that pushes the text to overset? Any Paragraph Style set for that text?

When all else fails, copy and paste the text into a text editor like Notepad on Windows or TextEdit on the Mac and then paste it back into the text box. That will strip out wierd characters lurking somewhere in your text too.

Report back and let us know what is what, OK?

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2009 11:26 AM   in reply to Mark Hebert

Can you put your cursor in the overset text, in the story editor, and 

show us a screen shot of the control panel, paragraph palette - I 

don't even know what version you are using, so terminology might be off.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2009 11:29 AM   in reply to Kath-H

If the 'bad' character is between overset and not overset text. can you push some more of the text over (below the line in story editor) - then select a few words either side of it and delete the lot? You won't lose much and it might banish the little blighter.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2009 11:44 AM   in reply to coffeesmith

This might be a deeply stupid question - and after all I failed to notice you version number - but when you hit enter to send the text into a new frame - you have got one linked for it to go into, right?

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2009 11:45 AM   in reply to Kath-H

Oh, and you're better off using the camera icon to attach images in here, attachments can get stuck in a queue being virus checked <rolls eyes>

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2009 11:52 AM   in reply to coffeesmith

There are some computers that seem to map both enter keys together, and I've seen some that reverse them, I think, mostly laptops, but we had a report this week of it happening on a desktop.

First, is this problem restricted to this document? Can you make a new doc, type some text, hit enter and type more without losing it?

Second, if you go to Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts, are you using the default set, or a custom set? It's possible the key has been remapped in the shortcut set.

Third, does the behavior change if you change the state of the NumLock?

Fourth, if this is happening only in this document, does exporting to Interchange format (.inx or .idml) and opening that, then saving as a new .indd make the new one behave?

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2009 12:08 PM   in reply to coffeesmith

OK, the Control Panel is the long strip of controls either on the top (just below the menu items) or bottom of the document area, bound by the scrollbars on the right and bottom and the rulers on the top and left hand side. It will tell you, while having the text tool selected and placed inside the text, what font you are using, the size, leading, indents, whether it is flush left or centered or right.

Hope that helps.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2009 12:57 PM   in reply to coffeesmith

Lucky guess.

You clinched it when you said the bugger kept coming back.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2009 1:58 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Whew!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 2:29 AM   in reply to coffeesmith

I have a problem in that I created a table in InDesign 5 and have been happily editing text in that table for the last 8 years.

Now I cannot, the "table" behaves like an image file and I cannot get the cursor in it to edit

the only thing I can see is that the "T" icon (4th down on the left handbar) is now slantng to the right whereas usually it is upright (however I believe I have had this before with no problem)

Incidentally I believe I created ths table by drawing the lines rather than using the "insert table" process

I have tried to create a new table using "insert table" but I have the same problem?

I can send the indd file to anyone if that would help

Thanks

JOHN

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 2:37 AM   in reply to tr4der88888

tr4der88888 wrote:

the only thing I can see is that the "T" icon (4th down on the left handbar) is now slantng to the right whereas usually it is upright…

There is a little triangle at the bottom right corner of the Type tool icon that tells you there are other tools in a fly-out. If you hold the mouse button while you click the tool, you will be able to switch between the regular type tool and the Type on a Path tool, which is the slanted T icon.

tr4der88888 wrote:

I have a problem in that I created a table in InDesign 5 and have been happily editign text in tat tale for the last 8 years.

An 8 year old file that you have been reusing over and over may have become corrupted over the years. Try exporting a copy of the file as IDML or INX (depending on what version of ID you have) and open up the copy to see if the problem is still there.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 5:05 AM   in reply to Michael Gianino

excellent - the first one worked perfectly!!

I save each new file and work with that + had same problem with all my old files as well

many, many thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 3:22 AM   in reply to Michael Gianino

btw thank you also for the VERY prompt reply

All the best,

JOHN

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 3:14 AM   in reply to tr4der88888

John, I'm not sure whether or not you wanted your personal information posted with your last reply or not. If you want to remove it, just hit the edit button.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points