• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MOD or TOD Files? A Conversion Method

LEGEND ,
May 29, 2009 May 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann Bens, on the CS4 forum, posted this LINK to a possible solution for working with MOD & TOD files. Might be of use, if you have a JVC (could work with some other, similar cameras) and want to work with these files in any flavor of Premiere. As I do not shoot to MOD, or TOD, I have not tried it, and cannot vouch for how well it works.

Good luck,

Hunt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 29, 2009 May 29, 2009

Changing the file name suffix is only a hybrid solution. It just tricks Premiere Elements into accepting the files. There are still codec and conversion issues.

The best solution is to truly convert the files -- using either Hunt's recommendation or the one I recommend in the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/428054?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a problem often with JVC cameras (MOD). The esiest way to convert them with best quality is to change the extension to a mpg or avi I think. Because in reality that's what it is, just with an extension that's proprietary.

And for a lot of files use Lupas Rename.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the file name suffix is only a hybrid solution. It just tricks Premiere Elements into accepting the files. There are still codec and conversion issues.

The best solution is to truly convert the files -- using either Hunt's recommendation or the one I recommend in the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/428054?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

I was about to link to the FAQ article that you give, and noticed that the image is dead. There is a JVC user on the CS4 forum, having issues, and it appears that Ann's method does not work for him. Is this an issue with the forum today, or is the .PNG gone from the archives?

The FAQ method seems like it would be better than the horribly convoluted method that the guy in CS4 is using. So far, his way is the only one he's found that will work. Gosh, you should see his workflow! I'd have given the camera to Goodwill, if I had to do what he does.

Thanks for looking into this,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2009 Jun 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a JVC camera that uses .MOD file format. I have found that just renaming those files to .mpg works in some instances and doesn't in others (but there are problems with this approach, as mentioned in above posts). On the bright side: Premiere Elements 7 appears to work with those files natively! I tried other video editing applications that claimed to support .MOD files, but out of fustration with them being buggy beyond comprehension, I finally turned to PE7 not knowing, I can work with those files, without converting them first.

I downloaded a FREE .MOD converter but haven't use it yet. You can find it here:

www.avs4you.com/AVS-Video-Converter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2010 Jan 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, I get a 404 error for the link:

www.avs4you.com/AVS-Video-Converter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2010 Jan 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me, just now, on Google Chrome.

Do you have your browser's security set to highest? There were no pop-ups, that I saw, and I could not detect any reason for it to not work.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2010 Jan 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Firefox, which apparently doesn't deal with different extensions for filenames.See other response to this, that seems to work ... thanks.

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Link broken for FireFox. Probably because the page is an 'aspx' one but was entered in the forum as '.html'. I'm guessing that FireFox cannot resolve that, whereas google chrome can. Here is the direct '.aspx' link: http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Video-Converter.aspx.

Cheers,
--
Neale
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the full link ... that definitely worked. Have downloaded the converter, and will try it later ...

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that I can download this, does anyone have any experience with it? It's shareware and adds a watermark to converted videos, unless you pay for it. If I am going to pay for it, I'd like to be sure this does a clean job ... thanks!

Ken Mayer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had no need to use it, so cannot comment. You make a good point, but I'd just do some tests, leaving the watermark for now. After the tests, then you can determine if it does a good enough job to pay the $. Obviously, you will then need to repeat the process (to get versions without the watermark), but if you make note of your settings, that should be easy.

Maybe others can comment on the software, and save you the tests.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had pretty much come to that conclusion. I was just hoping that maybe someone had already been through this and had either really good comments or really negative to let me know ... I guess it's a good thing I have nothing planned for the weekend ... ... thanks.

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand. I was hoping that Soundwel might stop by with experiences to share, or maybe another user.

I guess it's a good thing I have nothing planned for the weekend .

Now THAT is a great attitude.

Please report on your tests, as they will very likely help others.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I try ...

I did one run (this is not a small video, but ...) using the default profile with this software for AVI ("HD Video 720p: MPEG4 (DivX, XviD), 4500 kbps; Audio: MP3, 192 kbps), and when I brought this into PE7, it was blank. (After 1.5 hours of conversion ... argh.) The problem is they don't appear to have a profile named "DV-AVI Type II" or anything that reads close, and if you don't understand the terminology, you can't create a custom profile ... I have asked their support to help me out, but of course I have no idea how long that will take. Frankly, I can't spend hours trying variations ... I hope they can come back quickly, but it is a weekend ... Sigh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution, and it was already installed on my computer all this time (feel a bit like Dorothy at the end of Wizard of Oz ...). Nero, which I have used to burn CDs and DVDs for some time, has a video editor, and if you load the .MOD into it, you have an option to Export. Selecting this, I found "DV-AVI", and in a second drop-down, it showed "Type II". After about an hour (again, it's a large video), it completed, and loaded perfectly into PE7 ... color me relieved.

Now to convert the other four ... gad. Thanks to everyone. I hope this helps someone else in the future.

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great news. While I have a special conversion program, I also have several other NLE's, and use them to convert file formats/CODEC's as well. Actually, I do most of my editing in PrPro, and use PrE to convert many files to work with it, as PrE is more lenient, than is Pro. Still, sometimes Magix MovieEdit Pro, or CyberLink's PowerDirector will handle odd footage better than PrE will. Then, I just do, as you have done, Import, then immediately Export, choosing DV-AVI Type II. That file is Imported into Pro, and away I go. I would not be comfortable using those other NLE's to actually edit, but then I really do not attempt to use them for that purpose.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks -- so far it's looking good. I haven't done a lot yet, but just watching the first few minutes of the video in PE7 looked good (and those weird green flashes I had from viewing the .MOD file weren't there). I have another out of the 5 I need to convert going. The project won't be complete for a bit, as I need to edit out just the stuff I need from some of them (and that means figuring out what I need ...). Anyway, I'm a very relieved camper, knowing there's a way to make it all work. Whew.

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 29, 2009 Jun 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Elements fully support MOD and TOD files as these files are basically MPEG2 (MOD(720x480, TOD:1920x1080).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2009 Jul 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a good little mpeg (and aspect ratio header info for 16:9 from 4:3) converter here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2009 Sep 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MOD Files?The way to convert your mod files is here.I find a mod converter,and I have converted my mod files quickly.

Yes,here it is  MOD Converter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 29, 2009 Sep 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that link. The more coversion utilities, the better.

Appreciated,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 18, 2010 Mar 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have personally tried out TOD video converter and is the best tod files converter it converts tod files to other  popular video formats like AVI, Mpeg, DivX, VOB, WMV, MP4, etc with high out ut-put quality and fast converting speed. If you happenlydesire to do the conversion of TOD files to another fomat file, this Tod Converter is my first recommendation...you can easily download the trial version of the softwarefrom online and have a try...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for the converter recommendation. That will very likely help others in the future.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that the TOD Converter recommended by juicy as well as the MOD converter recommended by soundwel each cost $29.95.

That's not a bad deal, if you're struggling with these challenging files. But if anyone finds a free converter, please let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines