Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Imported .swf files do not play properly

May 30, 2009 6:08 PM

Apparently Adobe Premiere Elements 7 can't even understand Adobe's own file formats. I have a .swf file named jackhammer.swf. (see attached). When I place it on the timeline and reneder my movie, it looks like the attached .wmv file. WTF? It makes no difference what format I save it to or what settings. Anyone know how I can import a Flash movie into my Premiere project and have it look like the movie I imported?

OK, so despite the fact that it says clearly below in black and white, "All file types are allowed except: .doc, .bin, .dms, .lha, .lzh, .exe, .class, .so, .dll" it's a lie, because when I try to attach the said .swf and .wmv files it says "The content type of this attachement is not allowed". So you can see what I'm talking about at http://www.rogerpenn.org/jackhammer.swf and http://www.rogerpenn.org/jackhammer.wmv.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 30, 2009 6:34 PM   in reply to rbpenn

You will need to open the SWF file in Flash, or similar. You can then output to a Video file in a format that PE can work with. The SWF is a contained player file. As for PE not opening Adobe files, it also cannot open, or work with PageMaker, or InDesign files. This is expected, since these are not Video, still or Audio file.

Now, if you can get back to the FLV file, that it contains, you might be able to work with that. Supposedly, PrPro did not add FLV support, until CS4, but my copy of PrPro CS2 (on my laptop only) will Open and edit them just fine. Do not know if PE can handle FLV's, but I sorta' doubt it. However, if you can extract the FLV from the "player" component, you can then use a utility, like FLVtoAVI to get to an AVI file. I am surprised that you got as much out of a ShockWave Player file, as you did. Also, note that you will not have much, in the way of quality, regardless of what route you take. Best would be to go back to the original animation file and from that program, Export as a DV-AVI Type II.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 30, 2009 7:52 PM   in reply to rbpenn

It should not be so surprising that PE cannot deal properly with a ShockWave Player container. This is a file that is meant to be placed on a Web site and to play from the code within itself. This is quite unlike an AV file, that is designed to be edited and then played.

It is akin to saying that I have a VHS tape, but it will not play in my 16mm film projector. They are but images. Why will that not work? The same could be said if one tried to play a 1/4" tape on their Denon turntable. They are but sounds. Why will that not work?

You need to understand what you have, and make allowances for what you wish to do with it. If you have created the images, you need to use one of the animation CODEC's to produce a video file, that can be played, and is not in a self-contained player module.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points