Skip navigation
jbfiedler
Currently Being Moderated

White Hat PBJ Decompiling

May 31, 2009 11:18 AM

Hello,

I just formatted my computer and now realized I didn't back up my Pixel Bender files.  I still have the pbj's on my web site but no pbk's .  I realize asking for a decompiler on an Adobe forum is rediculous, however, I had some awesome filters (distances maps, voronoi diagrams, colorspace trasfrorms, and more) and I am desperate to get them back.  Anyways I would be forever grateful to anyone that can help me out.

Thanks in advance,

Justin

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 1, 2009 9:57 AM   in reply to jbfiedler

Yow, that is sucky. Sorry to hear it. A PBJ->PBK tool is possible, but we haven't written one even for internal use yet. Lemme check with the team to see if we have anything that could help you out.

Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2009 11:02 AM   in reply to jbfiedler

Tinic posted a disassembler on his blog here:

http://www.kaourantin.net/2008/09/pixel-bender-pbj-files.html

That will at least let you extract the logic. You'll need to come up with decent variable names, but you should be able to make progress. If that doesn't work let me know and we'll ry and work out something else.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2009 8:57 AM   in reply to jbfiedler

Unfortunately Tinic's disassembler is the best tool we have available right now. You could write a tool to take the output of the disassembler and turn it back into .pbk format and then work on cleaning that up, but that might not be any quicker than starting from scratch.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2009 4:33 AM   in reply to jbfiedler

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but there are a lot of tools to recover formatted hard disks. Unless you performed a low level formatting (I'm not an expert), chances are that you only erased an index or similar, and your files ar still there.

Of course, as soon as you start using your hard disk again, the data becomes corrupted or lost. But in your case, I would give it a try.

Just do some search at google for data recovery tools or something like recovering files from formatted HD.

Hope this helps

Enrique

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2010 1:58 AM   in reply to Kevin Goldsmith

I think it's built in the 2.0 IDE, isn't it?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 12:08 PM   in reply to Kevin Goldsmith

Hi Kevin,

Were you able to find out if Adobe has created a tool to decompile .pbj files ?

I am writing an app for a customer and they want me to make sure the noone is able to download the .pbj files and decompile them. thanks please let me know if this is possible.

Nabil

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 11:46 PM   in reply to nabboull

it is possible to turn the pbj into agal, see the post above. However, no one has done a pbj->pbk converter that I know of, and it would be quite difficult.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 6:19 AM   in reply to Kevin Goldsmith

Thanks Kevin,

I am sorry what is "agal" ?

Adobe has not done a pbj->pbk converter is this official ?

Thanks

Nabil

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 8:54 AM   in reply to nabboull

Sorry, I was thinking of Pixel Bender 3D, not Pixel Bender byte code. There was never a PBJ->PBK decompiler developed.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 9:49 AM   in reply to Kevin Goldsmith

Not sure if this is still revelant, but the HAXE community has written a decompiler for pbj files:

http://ncannasse.fr/blog/pixel_bender_assembler

Hopefully that helps someone else who might be in the same boat!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points