Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Big Problem: Can't get "use imported MP3 quality"

Jun 2, 2009 8:46 AM

I have an Actionscript routine that works off sound time to control stopping, starting, and scrubbing to parts of a movie. It works fine when I'm able to "use imported MP3 quality" in the Sound properties panel. It messes up when not.

I've read other posts about making sure the imported MP3 format has a sample rate that is a multiple of 11 khz. Also that the file should not have metadata. So I'm using Sound Forge Audio Studio to output 44,100 KHz, 16-bit, mono files with no metatdata.

The vexing part of this is it works with some files and not others that were output with the same settings. Flash is fickle. It just decides one file can be used as is and other not...

I'm wasting a lot of time here trying to solve this. I'd appreciate any help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 23, 2009 12:19 PM   in reply to raylaur

Make sure that the mp3 file doesn't have album art and any other metadata.  I had the same issue, but after removing the album art and metadata it worked fine.

peace.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2009 6:45 PM   in reply to raylaur

yeah, I'm still having the issue.  It happens for 80kps mp3 files, but not for others.  it doesn't make sense.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2009 8:27 PM   in reply to DJ Gecko

now it's happening to other non 80kps files. I have files that are all encoded the same, some work, some don't.  Hello Adobe, this has been an issue for over a year, what gives?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2009 9:13 AM   in reply to raylaur

Thanks raylaur, but both of those didn't work for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 4:44 PM   in reply to DJ Gecko

If this has been answered, what was the answer?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 5:52 PM   in reply to raylaur

Yes, well, saving the audio uncompressed and then performing the compression within Flash is of course a way around the problem, but I'm not sure it's an 'answer' to the problem...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 5:25 AM   in reply to Craig Grummitt

10 years on, I'm wondering if this has been resolved? I am trying to bypass the compression in Flash. I have an audio file that sounds ok in the 'test audio' but when I test movie it sounds terrible. I have gone through the settings on compression - default seems to be the best - but it still compresses, seems like 41,000 compresses to 44. I want no compression - is this possible.Screen Shot 2013-08-31 at 10.16.59 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 12:03 PM   in reply to Jason Vearing

I don't import audio in an FLA any longer, too many issues. I now embed them via ActionScript. I've found it to be much more useful. I can easily update my mp3 files without having to create a new swf. Although, the Flash Player wont seamlessly loop an embed mp3 (or a loaded mp3 into an FLA). So for music loops, I have a swf just for those and let Flash compress those mp3 from AIFF or WAV. Then I link the Music Loop SWF in the FLA's library. Then embed that SWF and access the sound's Class.

Here's info about embedding sounds.

http://as3tutorialblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/as3-embedding-sounds-in-fl ashdevelop.html

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points