Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Star Ratings

Jun 4, 2009 5:45 PM

How do I sync/export ratings?  When I access my files in other apps, the ratings from  Lightroom are not there.

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 5, 2009 12:15 AM   in reply to 1.4

Just export them and make sure Minimize metadata is not checked during export. If you want ratings to be available in other applications for your originals (i.e. without exporting), select the files and press Save Metadata (Ctrl+S).

But you should know that not all applications are able to read rating metadata (e.g. Windows XP built-in viewer) and some just are not compatible with the way Lightroom writes it (e.g ACDSee). Other work just fine (e.g. Vista Viewer and Explorer, Expression Media etc.).

What external applications do you use to view ratings?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2009 12:31 AM   in reply to 1.4

Thanks.  I sometimes use photomechanic and sometimes, iView Media Pro.

Not sure about Photo Mechanic. But I guess I iView couldn't read ratings. Also, it could not work with sidecar files, while its new reincarnation - Expression Media - can.

Are you viewing exported files or originals from your LR catalog? What types of files - JPEG or RAW/DNG? What system - Mac or Win?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2009 12:08 AM   in reply to 1.4

I found the problems.  1st-the metadata would only be properly attached to dng, not NEF(D700) files.  2nd-In filmstrip/loupe mode, only the doubly selected file, not the rest, was being addressed.

That proves that PM doesn't support sidecars.

Regarding the Loupe mode, that's a normal Lightroom behaviour: in Loupe, Survey and Develop ANY actions affect oly the primary select. In Grid - all selected images.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2009 12:35 AM   in reply to Dorin Nicolaescu-Musteață

dorin_nicolaescu wrote:

I found the problems.  1st-the metadata would only be properly attached to dng, not NEF(D700) files.  2nd-In filmstrip/loupe mode, only the doubly selected file, not the rest, was being addressed.

That proves that PM doesn't support sidecars.

PM does support sidecars. It is VERY flexible in this regard but needs to be configured, via preferences. There is a thread on the PM forums on how to set it up for Lightroom or NX 2. There is a problem if you use both of these programs as they don't read/write metadata the same way. See this http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=4362.0

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points