Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Registration Window keeps opening?

Jun 9, 2009 11:22 AM

Hi

I recently installed Windows 7RC on my computer and then reinstalled all my Adobe software.

My system is set to dual boot to Windows XP and Windows 7 RC.

This is more of an anoyance then a real problem but if anyone has any ideas how to stop it, I would like to hear them.

Since reinstall everytime I open any of my Adobe software, Indesign CS3, Illustrator CS3, Photoshop CS2, Premiere, the registration window opens.

The first few times I went through the process of registering again with all of them.  I recieved the "Thank you for registering E-mail etc.

This doesn't happen in XP.

Anyone have any idea how to stop this?

Mike

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 9, 2009 11:30 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

PS CS4 does the same thing on my Windows 7 RC install too. It does not happen all the time. I just click the do not show and it is good for 3 or 4 days then returns. Maybe CS4 will correct itself when the real Windows 7 comes out.

Windows 7 RC collects lots data and phones home with it so maybe the Microsoft guys will notice the CS4 regestration pop up.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2009 9:32 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

I am having the same problem after switching to a Vista machine from an XP machine. Was hoping I would find a fix here. Oh, well. I'll just keep hitting "Later."

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2009 9:37 AM   in reply to photo printer

Your not alone. I installed and registered PS CS4 Extended last year and the registration window keeps popping up at random times. Did it yesterday on my Vista Ultimate 64 bit machine. No rhyme or reason. Just happens.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2009 9:39 AM   in reply to photo printer

Well, dunno why nobody posted the right answer... It's simple. Edit the com.adobe.XYZ.registration files manually. Check C:\Users\Marty\AppData\Roaming\Adobe. Set the first line in the files to never and you shall have peace.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2009 9:46 AM   in reply to Mylenium

Thanks.

Opened the registration file and changed Later to Never.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2009 6:43 AM   in reply to Mylenium

I can not find a registration file in this folder. I am running Vista Home Premium. I have all hidden and program files un-hidden.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2009 6:55 AM   in reply to photo printer

Go to computer click on it. Open C drive. Click on users, look for your name, then Appdata, then Roaming, then Adobe, Click on Adobe.

On the very bottom there should be a file called com.adobe.330.en_US.registration The .en_US part may be different depending on country.

Double click on this file. Choose select a program from a list of installed programs then click ok.

Uncheck Always use the selected program to open this kind of file

Select NOTEPAD and hit ok

Note pad will open

Look for LATER at top and change to Never.

Select file, then hit save, and close note pad.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2009 8:05 AM   in reply to dec9

I know where this folder is, the registration file is just not there. I also did a search for it, with no results. Here is a sressn shot of the Adobe folder

screen shot.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2009 8:13 AM   in reply to photo printer

This is what it looks like on my vista ultimate 64 bit machine:

I will have to get on my Windows 7 RC and post that. But you do see the file at the bottom.

vista snip.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2009 8:18 AM   in reply to dec9

I think it is probably the difference between Home Premium, and Ultimate. I have tried to do a few other thing that are not in Home Premium also.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2009 8:21 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

Here is the registration located in Windows 7 RC 64 bit. Same location as Vista Ultimate.

snip windows 7.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2009 8:22 AM   in reply to photo printer

Maybe so.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2009 8:30 AM   in reply to photo printer

Just out of curosity I tried to find the registration also.  I use Vista Home Premium and get the same info shown by Marty without the registration line.  Can not find it anywhere.  Probably there somewhere, but may in different location than in Ultimate.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2009 9:27 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Well, the registration window seems to have stopped opening. After I did some on-line researching, I turned off the User Account Control. I opened and closed CS2 several times, and Registration no longer shows up. Even after turning UAC back on, it does not launch the registration form. HMMM. Any comments about just leaving the UAC off?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2009 2:23 PM   in reply to photo printer

You can turn off UAC. I am so used to UAC it does not bother me. The only time I see UAC pop up is when I start a program set as to run as administrator. Other then that I never see UAC pop up.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2009 9:41 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

If Windows 7 Home premium is the same as Vista Home Premium you will still not see it.  Seems like only those with Vista Ultimate see the registration file.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2009 11:34 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

Hey Guys, PS CS2, 3, 4 NO DESGINED for Win 7, under any circumstance. Likely it will not work. I would wait until Win 7 goes live, even though you managed to get a hold of an RC, its not the same, until it hits the market. Wait for a patch from Adobe, or wait for CS5. C',on if you are using an RC you should have been smart enough to realize this.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2009 11:44 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

Hello again:  thank you to everyone trying to help me.  I am now including a screen shot attch of the message I get and as you can see, I need an UNLOCK CODE.  I tried to put the screen shot in my message like I see some of you did, but I got an error message saying the content was not allowed.  What is up with that?  I hope the attch opens for you OK.  All of you sound like major brainiacs to me and if you offer me a solution, please put it in the most basic steps.  I am totally afraid of the C Drive.  Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2009 1:47 PM   in reply to adobe_fails

Sorry, wrong as usual. CS4 works great on Windows 7 RC. Maybe if you bought a new computer to replace your Tandy, todays software would run better for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2009 2:25 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

HELLO TO EVERYONE WHO TALKED TO ME!  I just want you all to know that my brilliant daughter told me to go to Picasa (with Google) and it was able to grab my hostage photos from Photoshop Starter Edition 3.0!!!  I am thrilled and it was Free!  I did just purchase a Photoshop edition for $119.00 thinking it would help me get access to my photos but it did not.  I posted on several of these threads and emailed the expert David Powers- but he never wrote me back.  A lot of you tried to help me but you wanted me to do things way out of my experience/comfort zone, like on the C Drive (scary place...)-- but anyway successful ending (or beginning) and talk about finding it in your own backyard!  I wish I could be in the room with the Photoshop 3.0 people and throw a drink in their face and say Ah-Ha- I got you!  Perhaps I will feel friendly with Photoshop at some time in the future but I know there are probably a lot of people out there like me who lost access to their photos and deleted them from their cameras when PS 3.0 gave them that option and now they don't know what to do.  If you bump into any of them tell them that Google is the answer with PICASA!! HURRAH PICASA!!! 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2009 3:03 PM   in reply to PrescottPark

Picasa simply indexes every image file on your computer and arranges thumbnails of them in a nice logical way.

It did not free your hostages – they were free all the time!

I suggest you ask your daughter to explain some of the basics of file management. 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2009 3:37 PM   in reply to John Joslin

Ok- I am sure you are right...but for me with my current knowledge base-- I

could not access them.  The Photoshop registration message would jump up on

the screen and prevent me from clicking on any of the photos.  For me for

several days there was no solution and I purchased that Photoshop product

for probably what will be for me, no good reason.  I am sure there are

others like me who had my experience and they will figure they have lost

their photos.  Picasa did what you said they did, but it also allowed me to

access my photos when I couldn't do it before.  What do you do for a living?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2009 6:16 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

Yes, I learned a hard lesson and there was some panic along the way.  Thank

you for your instructions.  I will use them the next time I have a group on

my camera and hopefully understand the process.  I have not been very

disciplined in my saving of photos.  Since I bought that program, maybe I

will learn more about Photoshop and see if I get some ideas.  I will be

eligible for retirement in 4 years and if I start now, perhaps it can be a

hobby by then.  Thank you for taking the time to help me.  Sara

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2009 5:50 PM   in reply to Mylenium

Getting back on topic...

It doesn't appear like there is a solution to this problem without having to upgrade to Photoshop CS4?  Is that correct?

I have the final version of Windows 7.

I don't have any kind of config file like existed under Vista.

I have tried turning off UAC and registering again.

Still, everytime I load Photoshop it wants me to register.

So can someone just admit that CS2 isn't supported under Windows 7 so I can stop looking for an answer?

Thanks,

Bill Pytlovany

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2009 6:21 PM   in reply to Bill Pytlovany

Wow, was I surprised to hear from someone about my Photoshop issue!  I ended

up buying Adobe PSE7 for about $118.00 to solve my problem and then my

daughter told me all I needed to do was go with Google Picasa (free).  She

said it would grab all my photos for me and organize them for me, rescuing

them from Photoshop 3.0.  I tried it and IT WORKED!  I couldn't believe it.

However, when I upload photos from my camera, Photoshop 3.0 still tries to

make me register and places the registration screen over my photos, but I

just click on "Register Later" and then I get a choice to select Picasa.

Maybe when my daughter visits me, she will see how to banish Photoshop 3.0

forever from my computer.  I am so mad that I spent the money on PSE7 which

I have never used nor do I understand it at all.  No one from the forum

expert leadership ever answered me-- unless that is you.  Several other

folks had suggestions and I even went to some other forums where I did not

understand what they were talking about--but at least I have a work-around

now.  Thank you for writing and please let me know if you understand how I

can defeat Photoshop 3.0.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2009 9:19 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

I hate the registration window--bleah!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2010 5:54 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

Another solution that may be a little easier is to right click on photoshop and click "run as administrator". The registration window will pop up again (and for the last time... hooray). Make your selection and this time photoshop will remember what you choose. From now on you can start photoshop normally and the registration window shouldn't come back.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2010 6:22 PM   in reply to Bill Pytlovany

Huh... I never noticed when but my registration window finally stopped coming up.   Maybe there was a hidden update or something else on my system changed to fix it.

I can't tell you when it stopped but I'm happy it finally is fixed.

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2010 5:23 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

I finally solved the problem by going to the Adobe installation folder, clicking on the Adobe Professional 8 icon and checking "run as administrator" then marking it as run as administrator for all users.  It finally solved my problem.  I had no registration file to edit in Appdata, so this was my only choice.  Problem solved.  Has not occurred since.  Windows 7 Professional, Adobe Acrobat Pro.

Chris

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points