Skip navigation
Rodo-Adb
Currently Being Moderated

Flash debugger doesn't stop on breakpoints

Jun 11, 2009 12:56 AM

I don't know why but i've got fla files that I can't debug.

I'm able to launch debugger and the swf file is correctly run when I do it, but if for instance I add a trace in my code and add a breakpoint on it, it will appear in the output but the debugger doesn't stop on the breakpoint.

It's a pretty big project that uses a quite numbers of external swc libraries, home produced for the most, and I can't figure where could this bug come from. All the more if I create a simple fla file with a simple document class attached to it the debugger works perfectly.

So if anyone already encountered the problem or got an idea over any reason that could make the debugger to not stop on breakpoint, I'd appreciate.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 12, 2009 4:32 AM   in reply to Rodo-Adb

It happens to me all the time since I jumped to Flash Pro CS4. It makes the work very hard. I work on a pretty big project. No SWC libraries in my case, all my AS3 logic is outside of the .fla file - in a dozen of .as class files. I set breakpoints in the classes script, but hardly ever the breakpoints do stop, although I know the breakpoint-marked lines are executed (which I check by trace() or simply see the results). Some breakpoints are set in class constructors, some are in functions that are called by constructors, but also some are just normal functions or mouse event handlers. I might say about 10% cases of breakpoints do stop as expected, the rest is just ignored.

My configuration: Flash CS4 Pro 10.0.2, Windows XP SP3, I have also older versions of Flash installed (but not run simultanoeously) on the same machine if that matters.

It would be really great if someone from Adobe had check that issue, because debugging big projects with trace() only is pretty tiresome and time-consuming.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2009 9:16 AM   in reply to Rodo-Adb

Nice trick with throwing Error, pretty helpful when breakpoints fail to do their jobs

Hopefully one day Adobe will fix the debugger to be as functional as it was before

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2011 1:56 AM   in reply to Rodo-Adb

I'm having this same problem with Flash CS5. And throwing the error didn't seem to fix it. It stopped there but all variables were blank. I reinstalled, cleaned my registry but nothing seems to do any good. Help please.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 12:00 PM   in reply to Rodo-Adb

I am having the same problem with a complex (multiple .swf) application and finally found a "fix". Specifically my problem was that the debugger suddenly would stop Stepping Into or Continuing into the next .swf file in the process.

My solution was to set a breakpoint in the second .fla (.swf) file and 1) just run the debugger from the point of the second .fla source file until it hit the breakpoint there. then 2) once it successfully hit the breakpoint, then I could restart the debugger starting from the first .fla file and start debugging from that point and it was then able to continue debugging into the second .swf when called.

Hope that can resolve your issues, too.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points