Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Unexpected end of file encountered

Jun 11, 2009 3:42 AM

When I try to open a TIFF file in Photoshop CS3 i got an error dialog saying "Unexpected end of file encountered" and I am not able to open the image. The same image can be opened in Illustrator and other image conversion tools without any error. How is it possible???

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 11, 2009 5:20 AM   in reply to Harold Windt

Open it in Illustrator the export it as a tiff. or psd and then see if all is well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2009 8:05 AM   in reply to Harold Windt

The file is corrupt and Photoshop is much more picky than Preview and Illustrator

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2009 9:10 AM   in reply to Harold Windt

I have no idea as I have seen this maybe once or twice. and those were files from other people that had been emailed to me. If you can open and save it in some other app do it. I would also run Diskwarrior as well as routine maintenance

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2009 11:26 AM   in reply to Harold Windt

It's not specific information -- it's that the file says "look for information HERE", and that location is beyond the end of the file.  The error really does mean what it says.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 11, 2009 4:10 PM   in reply to Harold Windt

Harold,

It is opossible for Illustrator and Prerview to open either the embedded preview or the flattened composite.  Photoshop may be encountering the error when trying to open the corrupted layered filke.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2009 10:05 PM   in reply to Ramón G Castañeda

I had a file like that. On 10.5, a Quick Look reveals a glitchy bottom of the file (which led to the end-of-file).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points