Skip navigation
Comp. 792-YeIbLU
Currently Being Moderated

After Effects Won't Render Using H.264

Jun 16, 2009 12:31 PM

OK, I am trying to use H.264 codec but I keep getting an error and I can't figure out why.  I select (Composition > Add to Render Que), then I select "Output Module > Custom and select "Lossless" and select H.264 and then get the message below:

"After Effects: For reliable output with H.264 compression, please choose it directly from the Output Module Format menu instead of via QuickTime. (44 :: 81)"

So I then did as it said and selected the drop down arrow beside Output Module and then selected "Custom" and then selected H.264. and then I get the same message:

"After Effects: For reliable output with H.264 compression, please choose it directly from the Output Module Format menu instead of via QuickTime. (44 :: 81)"

An idea what's going on? Why does it give me this message when I am doing it the way it is telling me? How can I render using H.264?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 16, 2009 12:55 PM   in reply to Comp. 792-YeIbLU

Probably because you're choosing H264 as an encoding option for Quicktime (Format Options button) instead of picking the native H264 format?

It should work, regardless of the warning. Making such a file from AE could not be the best idea, though.

If you pick the H264 format instead of Quicktime, you won't get this error. Note that when you do this, depending on the H264 preset you choose, the comment field in the H264 options will instruct you to set the stretch settings in the Output Module to a specific size (so it matches the H264 size).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2009 2:14 PM   in reply to Comp. 792-YeIbLU

Enter the Output Module (click the yellow hot text, usually it says "Lossless"), and in the OM window you'll be able to pick it in the "format" menu:

Format.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2009 2:51 PM   in reply to Comp. 792-YeIbLU

Are you using the trial version of After Effects?

from "Supported output formats":

"The free trial version of Adobe After Effects software does not include some features that depend upon software licensed from parties other than Adobe. For example, mocha for After Effects, some effect plug-ins, and some codecs for encoding MPEG formats are available only with the full version of Adobe After Effects software."

H.264 is an MPEG format (MPEG-4, part 10).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2009 4:50 PM   in reply to Comp. 792-YeIbLU
    > Do you know if any of the provided formats in the demo will work instead of H.264 to  "Compress" the Rendered movie?

You've got a lot of options listed there in the screenshot that you posted, including FLV. You can also use many different codecs with QuickTime.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points