Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

New to InDesign; double page spread?

Jun 16, 2009 9:42 PM

I just got InDesign, and I'm trying to make a double page spread [ I may be using the wrong words] and it keeps going to a single page. I know I must be missing something. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Much Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 16, 2009 10:14 PM   in reply to braine_mack

When you create document, check Facing Pages from New Document window. Afterwards you can change that from File>Document Setup.

If you have only two pages and you want them to be side by side,

1. open Window>Pages panel,

2. uncheck Allow Document pages to Shuffle from panelmenu (to open panelmenu click little icon in top right corner of panel window)

3. drag thumbnail of page 2 up as long as it docks to thumbnail of page 1. After that they will be together in your layout pasteboard as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2009 4:26 AM   in reply to braine_mack

InDesign always starts a facing pages document with a single right page 1 by default. Another way to deal with this is to open the section and numbering options and change the start number to anything even, but this will be reflected in any automatic page numbering you apply later in the document.

Keep in mind, though, that there is a logical reason for the default behavior. When bound, the document presents itself to the reader first as a single page (usually the front cover or the half-title page in a book), and they don't see a spread until they open the document. What sort of document are you making?

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2009 4:44 AM   in reply to braine_mack

Or make a new single page document, with the facing pages turned off and make the width of your document size the size of the double page spread.

If you are doing this, make sure that type that spans the two pages is separated a little more than needed, this is to cope with the part of the page lost to the spine and to the fold.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this, then make sure you ask the printers to account for creep when imposing the pages.

Hope that helps.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,629 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 17, 2009 11:16 AM   in reply to braine_mack

If you're asking how to start a document with a two-page spread, see this Help topic.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2009 5:30 PM   in reply to braine_mack

No.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2009 7:13 PM   in reply to braine_mack

braine_mack wrote:

GREAT. Perfect, thanks everyone for all the help!

This is going to be annoying, and I'm sorry, but now that I've got it as a two/double page spread like this, can I make it default to this?

Thanks again!

You can set up a double facing-page layout and save it as a document preset for future use.

You can also create a template with facing pages, special page objects, master page stuff, multiple master pages etc; paragraph, character, and object styles. Saved as a template (.indt) file, it opens as untitled, ready for use.

HTH

Regards,

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices   

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers