• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Initial View in a PDF Portfolio

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2009 Jun 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just started using the new portfolio feature, I have four forms that I've combined. I am using the Grid with Preview option to layout the files. When I open the portfolio it always opens to the same page in the second form, how do I change it to open to the first page of the first form?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2009 Jun 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now re-created the four forms by splitting the original file into four sections. Created an entirely new portfolio, added the four forms, and it still defaults to the same document (now third file in my ordered list, and fourth section in the original un-split file) initial preview when the file is opened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2009 Jul 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the portfolio, select, 'file'  -   'portfolio properties'  -   then selct the 'Initial view' tab. Here you can choose which page the portfolio opens up on.

Simples.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2009 Aug 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I set up each individual pdf to open to a specific page, that isn't the problem. The problem is how do I set which pdf document my portfolio displays when I first open it (after I close the welcome page).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2009 Aug 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The order in which files in a PDF Portfolio are displayed is set in this way: From the Modify menu at the top of the portfolio, choose Edit Portfolio. In the Edit Portfolio panel on the right, select SPECIFY FILE DETAILS. You can select the sort order of the files from this list: Name, Description, Modified, Size, Compressed Size, or Creation. You could insert a number 01, 02, etc. either before the file name, or in the Description field, which specifies the way you want the files ordered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2009 Nov 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry Mr. Werner, but the question is absolutely not answered.

I am experiencing the same problem than That17, of course together with the same frustration.

We can perfectly set which should be the initial page in each PDF file included (this is a PDF file property, not a Portfolio property).
We can perfectly set on which field the initial sort of the PDF Portfolio will be.

What seems to be not possible is to decide which PDF file from the portfolio will be the one displayed when the protfolio is opened. I have been searching everywhere in the program, but could not find how to set this "Initial file".

WORKAROUND

The only workaround I could find is to create a folder inside the portfolio and put all files except the one I want to be displayed first inside that folder. Then the effect will be similar to what That17 and me want. Of course this is just a lousy workaround and not a real solution.

Has somebody found a real solution to this problem?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 02, 2009 Nov 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Initial Sort is Name by default. So the PDFs will display in alpha numeric order according to PDF name. Just by changing the PDF names, you can control the order in which the PDFs are displayed to another user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2009 Nov 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, we understood that this is the "initial sort", and we also understood what it is for.

The problem is that we need to set which is the PDF file initially displayed in the portfolio, nothing to do with the sorting of files.

I have done some tests and experiments, and whatever the initial sort I choose, whatever names I give to the PDF files contained in the portfolio, it looks like Acrobat decides on his own which is the file that should be displayed first (in my case it always chooses the same file!!)

So the answer from Thats17 (and from me) is absolutely not answered yet!

MaX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 09, 2010 Feb 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the question has been aswered; but perhaps some further clarification would help.

Method one:

-Rename your individual PDFs that make up the portfolio in numerical or alphabetical order.

- Examples: 01.pdf   02.pdf   03.pdf ... and so on.

A.pdf   B.pdf    C.pdf ... and so on.

Since the default is to sort them by 'Name', then both the examples above will sort correctly. If you use numbers it is important that you use a '0' (zero) before single numbers... 01.pdf - NOT 1.pdf or else the sorting order will be incorrect.

Method two:

- Use any names you wish for the individual PDFs that make up the portfolio.

- In the 'EDIT PDF PORTFOLIO' list (accessed by Modify>Edit Portfolio found on the menu bar); click the tab that is labeled SPECIFY FILE DETAILS.

- Be sure the box next to 'Description' is checked.

- Click in the Description pane area to allow a text entry.

- Use 01 ,  02 ,  03 , and so forth so that the order that the pages appear will be the order that you want.  If perhaps the the 10th PDF in the NAME list is the PDF that you want to appear SECOND when viewed; then that Description entry would be 02.

In the same SPECIFY FILE DETAILS dialog box, you will see an 'Initial Sort' drop down tab at the bottom.

Choose 'Desciption'.

Your Portfolio should now appear in the order you wish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2010 Mar 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone is not listening.

The question IS NOT ABOUT SORT ORDER. It's about which file in the Portfolio is initially displayed when the Portfolio is opened.

I have a Portfolio containing five PDFs. The sort order is determined by a SortOrder field I specified. Upon opening, the Portfolio documents are sorted correctly. But it DOES NOT OPEN with the first file being the one displayed. It opens with the fifth, or third or whatever file being the one initially displayed.

In Acrobat 8 there was a specific setting for this. I can't find that setting in Acrobat 9.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 04, 2010 Apr 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People are listening, and doing their best to try and help.
Remember that most replies are by users - not paid Adobe employees.
It isn't courteous to 'YELL' that no one is listening. Yelling is the surest way to alienate help.

If you name your files alphabetically, or use numbers as prefixes to your files (as said before 00_file.pdf, 01_file.pdf, etc.) when you drag them in as a group, then the order of appearance will be bases on 'name'; if that's what you choose... so in that respect it is about sort order; and is the typical method of arranging files in a Portfolio.

If you wish an Adobe confirmation on that you can read about it here:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Acrobat/9.0/3D/WS58a04a822e3e50102bd615109794195ff-7edb.w.html

Meanwhile, since forums are about trying to find answers:

Here's a work-around that hopefully will solve your problem.
1.    File > Create PDF Portfolio
2.    Before adding any files:

• Open the 'Edit PDF Portfolio' side bar if it isn't already open
  • Choose Specify File Details > Initial Sort >Created. You may need to scroll down to see the 'Created' option as it is last in the list.
  • Choose List View from the Toolbar Menu (2nd icon to the right); to open the empty list.
  • Open the folder where you have your content; and drag a single file (that you want to appear first when the Portfolio is later opened)
  • Repeat the previous step, dragging in files one-at-a-time in the order you want them to display, until you have all your files added.

3.    You list should apprear in the order that you dragged them in.
4.    Save the Portfolio.
5.    Close and test.

I tested these instructions with 4 different groups of jpeg images, making 4 different portfolios; and it retained the order in each case.
Please let other readers know if this works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2010 Apr 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please let other readers know if this works for you.

Driver (and others),

Does not work in Acrobat Pro 9, Windows.

I followed your instructions to the letter, and the Porfolio still insists upon opening to the third document.

Understand, even if it did work, that workflow should not be necessary. One should be able to change the initial view in an already-built Portfolio.

Prior to all this, I even created an additional field, called SortOrder and set the sort order to that. That much works. Again, my problem is not about sort order. But it still does nothing to address the problem of controlling which document is displayed first upon opening the Portfolio.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2010 May 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem.I have changed the sort order (use 01, 02, etc.),and the documents are sorted in the order I want but I have not renamed the file. I've used the document security, to see if that will work, and it doesn't on the portfolio level. I really don't want to go through the process of pulling out each file, renaming it, and rebuilding the portfolio. I teach a course, and have 10 portfolios with about 10 or more files in each, and that seems to be the hard way. TIA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 01, 2010 Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Admittedly, PDF Portfolio has some serious shortcomings when it comes to trying to re-order the content.

The 'easiest' method is probably to:

• Make sure your in Modify -> Edit Portfilio.
  • Under the SPECIFY FILE ORDER tab, uncheck everything except for Name in the Columns to Display. This will make the rest easier for viewing.
  • Beneath the Columns to Display, click in the empty box where is says Add a column, enter 'Order' as Text and click the [+] button to add the new column.
  • Click the check box so that your new 'Order' column appears next to the Name column.
  • Double-click in the Order column and enter a number that corresponds to the order you want to have the final appear in. I use increments of 5 so that I can add new files at a later point and not have to renumber the list.... i.e. 5, 10, 15, 20, etc.
  • Under Initial Sort choose the Order column you created as the sort order.

Your images should now appear in the order you entered for you list.

Save with a new name (for safety).

I wish it was possible to just drag the images as you can do in a PDF with the Pages showing; but until Adobe adds this feature (helloooooo); this may be your best bet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 06, 2011 Sep 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to add my thanks to Driver198 for finding this solution, it did help resolve the problem I was having for an initial display.  And wasn't til I went to add this replay that I saw the forum was in the Mac arena and I work with the Windows version.  Very grateful for finding this solution allowing a time sensitive addition to our agency website. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 02, 2010 Jun 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have found the answer. open the portfolio with your navigation pane showing the pages/files. Now my pages ar in the order I want them to be seen but the port always opened in the middle, not the top.  In your navigation pane go to the page you want to open on and right click it. thr you should have a properties option, click it and in that pop up there is a little check box that asks if you want to open on current page, Check the box. save the port and close. reopen. Ta-Da!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maria5FA7 for the win!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not understand how you don't get it. It is not the sort. I have 5 invoices each their own pdf file I read each one and created a spreadsheet to indicate the cost of each lne item in a table of contents type way.  I converted the spreadsheet into a beautiful pdf file. I then combined the six files into one portfolio. that is one binder with 6 pages or files. in the navigation pane they are in perfect order. I closed the portfolio and saved it under a specific name.  Just before I sent it to the boss I wanted to give it the once over.  I proudly open my portfolio and it opens to reveal the third invoice or the fourth page/file. No, it is supposed to open on the first, the summary or contents, if you will. The splash page, the page that shows the boss what he is looking at. It opens to the navigation view but I wanted it to.  I see all the files in the proper order in the pages pane. No resorting is needed. Why will it not open to the first file?

You keep saying the answer is in the sort, you keep being told the sort is fine. Forgive me the last Pro I used regularly was one I had on CD-R. Back then you combind into binders then a new update made them portfolios just a name change. It worked back then too.

You are not dealing with people who havent used the product. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2010 Apr 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer to your question is the cover sheet. Your cover sheet can actually be an entire pdf file. Just make sure you have your portfolio set to view the cover sheet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2010 Apr 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,

Can you explain precisely?

Cover Sheet? In Acrobat Pro 9? Where?

A search in the Help file returns nothing when searching for "Cover Sheet" or even "Welcome Page."

In Acrobat Pro 8, there was an explicit command to set the currently viewed document as the start document.

The Help files describe setting an Initial View for a Portfolio; but when you select Portfolio Properties... from the File menu, you get a Document Properties dialog, not a Portfolio Properties dialog. You only get an Initial VIew pane for a document.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Bad.

Sorry that the same (incorrect) answer has been offered by me and others.

I kept interpreting the problem as a single PDF portfolio... NOT a collection of portfolios.

...and yes; it's true.

Even though the Porfolios appeared in the correct order in the list, when I reopened the Portfortfolio it defaulted to showing the first PDF in alphabetical order - not any order I specified.

Now that I finally understand the problem; I will put my efforts into seeing if I can find the answer to the question I kept overlooking by not reading the thread closely enough.

Will report back as soon as I find anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. As for your first answer, been there did that. I just want to

be able to specify opening file and view, much the same way as in

combine and can't figure it out.

Sent from my mobile telephone. Please forgive any typographical errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For this test, I created 3 separate PDF portfolios, which I named Alpha, Beta, Delta (.pdf).

I then combined these into a new Portfolio called A-B-D.pdf.

As you probably know all too well, no matter how you try to sort the Initial View, it will always default to the alpha-numeric sort... in this case it always opened with this order:

Alpha.pdf

Beta.pdf

Delta.pdf

But, let's say I wanted the order to be:

Beta.pdf

Alpha.pdf

Delta.pdf

Here's what to do (close any open PDFs first):

1. Open Acrobat Pro (I have v9 Extended).
  2. From the Menu Bar choose File > Organizer > Open Organizer.
  3. In the left pane, locate the folder where the Portfolio you want to re-order is.
  4. If you have more than one portfolio in the folder, highlight the one you want to re-order by clicking once on the file in the Middle Panel.
  5. From the top Menu Bar of the Organizer, Click on the [+] Combine Files button.
  6. The Combine Files  box will open, and you'll see a notice about the file you selected 'contains multiple files...'. Just click OK.
  7. Your separate PDFs that make up your portfolio will be listed in alpha-numeric order... BUT-
  8. Click on a PDF and use the 'Move Up' or 'Move Down' arrows at the bottom of the Combine Files window to move it to the order you want.
  9. Repeat Step 8 until your list is in the order you want.
  10. Click the PDF Portfolio radio button at the top!!
  11. Click the Combine Files button at the bottom.

Once combined you will be prompted to save the file; so save with a new name; just to preserve you're original.

Done!

Your new ordered PDF will open in Portfolio, and you can make any other changes, such as color, and so forth.

For this test I made 4 different Portfolios, varying the order; and in each case the order was preserved.

It may be a work-around, but it works without having to rename your files.

Let me know if it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2010 Jun 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked, sort of. I was able to reorder the files within a portfolio using the suggestion you made, but the only problem is that it converts all files to PDFs. I wanted to keep the originals in Word or other formats, but otherwise, it was fine. I guess the boys at Adobe don't want, or can't, fix this issue. It is very easy in the Combine Files mode, and I confess I never thought of it this way, but impossible in the Portfolio mode, except for the way you've come up. I've fiddled with it for two months now, and never ever came close - thanks for all of the help. I'll play around and see if I can keep formats the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines