Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to convert Pagemaker 6.5 files to InDesign CS?

Jun 18, 2009 3:17 PM

I know I'm a little (A LOT!) behind the times here, but my problem is real just the same.

I have a file created in Pagemaker 6.5 that I need/want to open in Adobe InDesign CS. From what I read, it should just open, maybe with some quirks or warnings, but open just the same. But mine will not open, even though it opens in Pagemaker 6.5 just fine. Message in InDesign CS says,

"Cannot open the file "XXX.p65. Adobe InDesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application."

Its worth noting that Adobe thinks I do NOT have Pagemaker 6.5 - they have denied me an upgrade price for InDesign CS4. I have been upgrading Pagemaker since Aldus v. 1.0 in the late 80s or early 90s, and I did update to 6.5 way back when. The open screen says it's 6.5, the About screen says it's 6.5, and the files it creates end is .p65. But Adobe says my serial number is version 4.0.

Anyone have any ideas on how to open this file in InDesignCS?

ERASE.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 18, 2009 3:34 PM   in reply to scott1956

What is your OS? Windows Vista and XP SP3 won't open pagemaker files in CS2, and it may be broken in CS as well.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2009 5:42 PM   in reply to scott1956

How many files do you need to convert?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2009 6:23 PM   in reply to scott1956

ZIP the files and send them to me I will look at them and save them as CS files for you.

See my profile for email address.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2009 6:42 PM   in reply to scott1956

It is indeed an O/S thing. InDesign CS2 and earlier cannot convert PM files on Vista or XP SP3.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2009 6:43 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Sorry, I'm working backward through a day of emails and I see Peter answered this already.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2009 4:22 AM   in reply to scott1956

Conversion of PM docs is seldom flawless in any case. Results can vary from pretty good to worthless depending on how the original was put together and whether the images were unembeded before the conversion (a must for good results).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2009 7:08 AM   in reply to scott1956

Contact me off line....I may be able to help you.

Visit my website...www.theindesignguy.com for contact info.

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points