All this year (2009) I've been working on several contract documents using FrameMaker's conditional text facility.
FrameMaker is 8.0p277 and the OS is Windows XP Pro SP3.
In May the old workstation became cantankerous so I updated to a new HP xw4600 with a Quad Core, 4GB ram, and 2 x 250GB SATA disks. Cool!
I applied all the MS updates and then treated myself to a clean install of Adobe Design Premium CS4, then installed and updated FrameMaker 8.0 (without the PDF Maker). The Adobe Acrobat Professional 9.0 in CS4 was patched to 9.1.2.
If I open a document in InDesign CS4 and print it to the 'Adobe PDF' printer everything works just fine. Same for Illustrator CS4.
But FrameMaker fails with this message:
... followed by:
I have also attached the most recent FrameLog fiole...
Howsomever, if I print the same document to my HP laserjet 4300dtn (or the laserjet 5200 or the FujiXerox DocuPrint 2100) it works just fine. So I assume the document itself is OK.
If I select the printer to be one of the 3 above and then print to file (and create a .PS file), and then open it in Distiller 9.1.2 it produces a perfect .PDF file (shades of Acrobat 3 and the watched folders here!). But, if I select AdobePDF printer as my output device before generating the .PS file, Distiller reports parsing errors and does not produce output.
With a doffed hat to Arnis and Dov I refrained from trying 'save to PDF'
This looks like a corrupt printer driver...
After talking to Adobe Support (ID 121 702 309) I have tried each of the following (and then re-run my testing cycle as outlined above):
Anyone have some ideas / fixes / incantations???
I agree---a corrupted print driver. The problem---how to fix it. Off the top of my head I suggest removing all print drivers, reboot, turn off anti-virus and antispyware software, disconnect from network, turn off firewall, use the Adobe Acrobat program to repair installation to re-install the Adobe PDF driver. Try to create a new pdf from Frame.
If you can produce PDFs from the AdoebPDF via ID and AI by printing, then I'd suspect that the driver is probably ok. (Note: from ID and AI, it is better to SaveAs PDF, since these have their own internal PDF generation capabilities.)
Also, with FM8, if you're making interactive PDFs (i.e. not for press), then it is ok to do the SaveAsPDF route, since FM has some post-processing modules that kick in to clean-up the .tps file prior to handing it over to Distiller. So, the process is no longer is identical to printing to file and distilling.
On the FM side, make sure that the tagged PDF setting is turned off in your PDF setup and have the setting for generating named destinations for all paragraphs enabled.
You also might want to download Sundorne's SetPrint ( http://www.sundorne.com/FrameMaker/Freeware/setPrint.htm ) utility to ensure that you always have the same printer instance (AdobePDF) enabled when you start FM.
Have you also applied the MS hotfix for the PDF font issues? Details are available here: http://blogs.adobe.com/techcomm/2008/07/hotfix_for_framemaker_1.html
Last desperation move would be to create a new custom PDF printer instance using the Distller PPD and a copy of the AdobePS installer.
Hi, Long time no gripe... :-)
This gets more bizarre as we go on.
The hotfix file(s) are downloaded from a Microsoft ftp site and come with a 7-day unlock password...
The MS Hotfix Arnis refenced was/is a Windows Vista Hotfix (349575_int_i386_zip.exe) which unpacks as 'Windows6.0-KB952909-v2-x86.msu' and is of no use for us Win XP hold-outs.
I phoned Microsoft Australia who were able to link me to the correct Win XP file (348411_ENU_i386_zip.exe) which unpacks as 'WindowsXP-KB952909-v2-x86-ENU.exe' and installs without too much fuss.
So far, FrameMaker 8.0p277 is printing just fine with Acrobat Pro 8.1.5 and the problem <appears> top have gone away. I haven't had time to re-install Acrobat Pro 9.1.2 as I'm too busy creating .pdf files. I'll keep you all posted on this.
If there's some interest, I'll upload the two unlocked hotfix files so you movers and shakers can avoid the 2 hours I spent nutting this out.