Skip navigation
chrismint980
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe AIR segmentation fault on Ubuntu 9.04

Jun 22, 2009 2:26 AM

Hi,

I've installed air with no issues, but whenever I try and run the installer it loads the window with Open/Save options, then on clicking on open the window disappears and nothing happens.

I've run it from the command prompt and get a Segmentation fault.

It looks like this is a really common problem - there's loads of recent mentions of this on google, with no solution yet...

Any ideas?

Cheers,

chris

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 22, 2009 2:36 AM   in reply to chrismint980

Hey Chris

Just wanted to clarify the exact problem you are facing. You said that you were able to install AIR without any issues, but still you say that when you try and run installer it loads a window with "Open/Save" options. Are you referring to application installer? Are you facing problem installing a particular AIR application or is this issue generic? Also, one last question, are you on 64 bit Ubuntu 9.04?

Thanks

Sundeep

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2009 2:59 AM   in reply to chrismint980

Hi Chris,

Can you please send the contents of app installer log to us for further investigation. To generate app installation log, open a terminal and execute these steps:

1. touch ~/.airappinstall.log

2. Start with the installation from badge and continue till it crashes

3. gedit ~/.airappinstall.log

4. Copy the contents of this opened text file and paste them here or send them at syed@adobe.com

Also just for confirmation, which version of runtime is installed on your machine?

for determining that, execute: dpkg -l | grep adobeair  on terminal and send its output also.

Thanks

Syed

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2009 5:13 PM   in reply to chrismint980

Chris,

I'm having exactly the same problem with exactly the same setup, and going through the exact same steps.  I hope Adobe gets back with an fix for this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2009 8:10 PM   in reply to chrismint980

Here is something to try as I stumbled upon something interesting with a similar issue the other day.  I'd be curious to find out if this works for you.  I am under the impression that when you install an app, Air is trying to launch a dialog box that says "The following action requires root privileges, please type in the root password" or something like that.  As Linux users, we have all seen these dialogs before.  But I think that this dialog may be hard coded somewhere to use the generic "xterm" application to launch the dialog.  On modern distributions such as Fedora and Ubuntu, xterm is not always installed (instead we use gnome-terminal, kterm, etc.).  But instead of throwing an error, the application just exits and it appears as if nothing happens.  So can you please try installing xterm and see what happens?  I'm not sure what the package name is in Ubuntu (apt-get install xterm)?  On Fedora, I use "sudo yum install xterm".

I used to notice this same behavior while doing updates of TweetDeck.  To get around it I would su to root and it seemed to install fine.  Then, by pure coincidence one day, I install xterm and the next time I did a TweetDeck update using my normal account, I got the root privileges dialog box in an xterm window and all proceeded fine. :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2009 9:10 PM   in reply to jdictionary

jdictionary,

I already had xterm installed and AIR is still not installing apps.  Also tried installing from the command line as sudo, but no dice.  When I try to install an app, I get the briefest flash of an AIR dialog that says "Getting ready to install this application" and then it disappears.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2009 3:26 PM   in reply to sociotech

I see, interesting.  I actually know exactly what you are talking about because I've seen that before too where the GUI will ever so briefly pop up in the top left of the screen and then go away.  I've gotten Air installed on 32 bit Fedora 10 and 32 bit Fedora 11 but it wasn't easy.  I tried on 64 bit Fedora 11 but gave up.  I can't remember which version it was that I saw this brief pop up behavior.  On the 32 bit installs though, these sites came in handy.  They are geared toward Fedora 11 but perhaps you can glean some helpful info.

http://www.techerator.com/2009/06/how-to-installing-adobe-air-on-fedor a-11/

http://www.erikjacobs.com/2009/05/21/fedora-11-leonidas-and-adobe-air/

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2009 3:58 AM   in reply to jdictionary

Over the last couple of days I made two fresh installs of Ubuntu 9.04. The first was the netbook remix version on an eeePC 900 and the second was the gnome version on an HP desktop. The latter has an AMD 64 Phenom triple core processor but I installed the 32-bit version of Ubuntu.

In each case I was able to install the Air runtime ok. On the eee the application installer works fine. On the HP I get the segmentation fault described on here.

On the Ubuntu forums that had been a suggestion that it was predominantly AMD processors which saw this issue but I am not really technical enough to know whether that is a feasible explanation or not.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2009 9:05 AM   in reply to JohnDudley

Interesting.  The Ubuntu 9.04 (32-bit) system giving me AIR segmentation faults is indeed using an AMD Phenom 8650.  All of my other Intel-based/Ubuntu 9.04 systems run AIR fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2009 12:14 PM   in reply to sociotech

Here is a link to the discussion which suggests an AMD connection.

http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1138825

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2009 1:49 PM   in reply to chrismint980

Okay, so this sounds like something that Adobe would have to alter in their installer or program binaries.  Or does the problem belong to Ubuntu?  Either way, I'm not seeing much I can do as an end-user to make this work on an AMD/Ubuntu 9.04 machine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2009 2:25 PM   in reply to sociotech

This link would suggest that openSuSE has the same problem

http://forums.opensuse.org/applications/408124-cant-install-air-applic ations-opensuse-11-1-64bits.html

Suggests maybe it is a problem with the Adobe App Installer itself (or at least the linux version - it works ok on Vista on the same dual boot PC).

I am new on here - is there evidence that the Adobe people read this regularly?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2009 2:47 PM   in reply to chrismint980

I don't think this is only an Ubuntu problem. I'm running CentOS 5.2 on a quad-core AMD Opteron processor and I'm having the same segmentation fault error when I try to install an AIR app.

Hello, Adobe. Anyone listening?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2009 5:43 PM   in reply to chrismint980

I had the same issue on Ubuntu 8.10, and now on 9.04. This seems to be only on AMD cpus on linux (in my case Athalon X2 64). Works fine in Windows. The issue was present in Air 1.5.0 and also 1.5.1.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2009 7:18 AM   in reply to chrismint980

I've too segmentation fault on my office pc (I use it for air developing) ubuntu 9.04 32bit / 64bit (AMD Phenom).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2009 1:04 AM   in reply to alienato

We are looking into it. from first level of investigation, we have been unable to reproduce it on 64-bit AMD with 32-bit/64-bit Ubuntu 904 installed on it. Though we are looking inot more details of this and on multiple machines.

A similar fix have been made in determining the handler for *.air file (where app update crashed on some systems), and i hope that may resolve this issue in one of upcoming versions. But as i said earlier, we are looking into it, and will update as soon as we will be able to reproduce and fix it.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2009 2:48 PM   in reply to syed mehadi

Has there been any movement on this? I'm having the same problem on my AMD machine (Phenom II X4) in Ubuntu 9.04 32-bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2009 12:16 AM   in reply to chrismint980

Is there a fix for this yet?  I just spent way too much time trying to install AIR applications on Ubuntu 9.04 32bit. I have a Phenom X4 cpu.

Found this thread from searching the Ubuntu forums where it looks like a lot of users are having problems installing AIR apps. Hopefully this can get fixed soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2009 4:55 AM   in reply to chrismint980

Seems like this havent been fixed yet? Who are we waiting for - Ubuntu or Adobe? I also have a Phenom x4 and Ubuntu 32 bit. And same results as everybody else. It is really a drawback not to be able to use the Air-technology. I really miss a good twitter-client :-(

Adam Bindslev

Denmark

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2009 4:36 PM   in reply to syed mehadi

Enough with the silence!

Are you investigating this issue, or have you simply blown it off?

Not being able to use Adobe AIR on my development machine is not going to turn me into an AIR developer, I can assure you of that.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2009 8:43 AM   in reply to syed mehadi

I have an Intel and an AMD based PC.

On the Intel system Adobe Air works flawlessly with Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit installed.

On the AMD system Adobe Air gives me the segmentation fault with Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit installed.

I installed an Adobe Air app on the Intel system, copied it over the AMD system, and when launching the app, get the segmentation fault.

There are no other errors.

Phenom-9750 (A) 2.4 GHz (95W)

AMD 780G

8 GB

Adobe Air does run find on the AMD system with Windows 7.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2009 1:48 AM   in reply to syed mehadi

What is the status regarding this problem ?

I just encountered the same problem. Working on a AMD Phenom X4 box running Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit.

When running the Adobe Air Installer over any air app, getting segmentation fault like this:

root@phenomium:/home/unix/Desktop/nzb# /usr/bin/Adobe\ AIR\ Application\ Installer /home/unix/Desktop/nzb/SpazAIR.air
    Segmentation fault
    root@phenomium:/home/unix/Desktop/nzb# /usr/bin/Adobe\ AIR\ Application\ Installer /home/unix/Desktop/nzb/RichFLV.air
    Segmentation fault
    root@phenomium:/home/unix/Desktop/nzb# /usr/bin/Adobe\ AIR\ Application\ Installer /home/unix/TweetDeck_0_30.5.air
    Segmentation fault
    root@phenomium:/home/unix/Desktop/nzb#

~/.airappinstall.log remains empty.

Linux phenomium 2.6.28-15-generic #52-Ubuntu SMP Wed Sep 9 10:48:52 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor

MemTotal:        3993892 kB
    MemFree:         3166392 kB

If you need any more information I'd be happy to work with you regarding this problem. We need this solved. I have attached a trace of the systemcalls when running the program.

Rick Wezenaar

Sr. UNIX Consultant

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2009 11:44 AM   in reply to chrismint980

I'd like to add my voice to this. Fresh install of Ubuntu desktop 9.0.4 (32bit) on a AMD Phenom X4.

Had the express intent of installing BBC iplayer. Have spent the last 3 hours going through the same processes described here before finding this thread. Eventually running via sudo the AIR Application Installer on the downloaded iplayer air application file I get the segmentation fault. No logs are written to the ~/.airappinstall.log or ~/.airinstall.log files.

Please could somebody from Adobe get on top of this!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2009 1:47 PM   in reply to chrismint980

Hi,

I am also experiencing this problem. I have an AMD Athlon 7750 64-bit processor. AdobeAIRInstaller.bin runs flawlessly and installs AIR but when I run the application installer it seg faults. I have tried installing several AIR apps and I get the same crash for all of them. I have been trying to get AIR installed on this machine since may, I really hope Adobe takes a look at this.

edit: I am running Ubuntu 9.04 with all the latest updates

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2009 8:00 AM   in reply to chrismint980

Hello

It looks like sth with amd processors. At the moment we have two end users complaining about this issue:

1. OpenSuse 11.1, Athlon X64 3200 na Phenom X4 9650

2. Ubuntu 9.10 beta 32bit (waiting for feedback about processor)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2009 5:05 AM   in reply to panell

I got concirmation about second user configuration. It's also AMD.

AMD X2 QL-64 (mobilny)
    AMD 780G
    ATI Radeon 3200hd.

BTW

regarding 4,881 views on this post (relative to otyer posts) I believe this is quite common issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2009 2:33 PM   in reply to syed mehadi

This needs to be solved. I hope Adobe is working on this. @work we are seriously looking at a major software package and the developer/var has written their new and improved user interface with Adobe Air.

All of our desktops have AMD processors and three are identical to mine. We use Ubuntu (8.04 and 9.04). Today I am testing Ubuntu 9.10 (32 bit) that will be released in two weeks.

Here is my system:

MSI motherboard K9A2GM_FIH, AM2+,RS780G,SB700 (radeon HD 3200 IGP)

AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core Processor

I downloaded this version of Adobe Air today -- it installed with no problems.

ii  adobeair1.0                                          1.5.2.8870                                 Adobe AIR

and the results:

$ /usr/bin/Adobe\ AIR\ Application\ Installer ~/Desktop/eBayDesktop_1_0_6_361.air
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)

~/.airappinstall.log is empty

What is the status of this bug??

Thanks

Tomy

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2009 1:11 AM   in reply to chrismint980

I Too Have this issue.

Running an AMD Turion X2 TL-60

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

fun times.. Id love to get this working. There are about 5 projects id like to do in Air. But I may need to find other Alteritives.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2009 10:13 PM   in reply to chrismint980

Got the same problem.

My machine is a Compaq Presario CQ50 (laptop) with an AMD Sempron processor running Debian GNU/Linux Lenny.

Tried with the leatest Adobe AIR Version available at the Adobe site at the moment. Like the others, I could install the runtime without problems but got the Segmentation fault message when trying to install any .air application. Tried with spaz, thwirl and tweetdeck.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2009 8:28 PM   in reply to chrismint980

Hi, I'm facing the same error, I have a AMD Pḧenom 9950, and receiving the segmentation fault at the moment of install TweetDeck.

Would be great that the Adobe Air team point on this to give us a response that they are working on this.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2009 12:55 PM   in reply to chrismint980

Hi All,

My name is Rob Christensen and I work on the AIR team. I wanted to let you know that we are investigating this issue and believe that the issue is related to certain AMD Phenom hardware as others on this thread have suggested. I want to apolgize for the delay in getting a more official response on this. We have struggled to reproduce the issue on our existing hardware, but we believe we have the right hardware now to reproduce this (it should be arriving this week). Please bear with us and we investigate this issue.

- Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2009 5:53 AM   in reply to Robert Christensen

Thanks for the update Rob,

I found a work around for my immediate problem by taking the hard drive out of my computer and temporarily installing it in an older computer with a different motherboard and IGP. I then installed the AIR app I needed and moved the hard drive back to the AMD Phenom computer where it appears to work.

ps.

Don't try this with Windows. Microsoft doesn't allow you to move Windows to another computer.

If you try it with Ubuntu make sure you know what you are doing. It's not hard but you may have to edit xorg.conf and change your graphics driver to vesa.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2009 9:24 AM   in reply to Robert Christensen

"I wanted to let you know that we are investigating this issue and believe that the issue is related to certain AMD Phenom hardware as others on this thread have suggested."

More precisely, any AMD K10-based processor, I think.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2009 7:42 PM   in reply to chrismint980

Do not work here too..

Ubuntu and Phenom II X4 940

Hope you guys fix it.. I'm used to use Twhirl.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2009 7:53 PM   in reply to Robert Christensen

Rob Christensen wrote:

Hi All,

My name is Rob Christensen and I work on the AIR team. I wanted to let you know that we are investigating this issue and believe that the issue is related to certain AMD Phenom hardware as others on this thread have suggested. I want to apolgize for the delay in getting a more official response on this. We have struggled to reproduce the issue on our existing hardware, but we believe we have the right hardware now to reproduce this (it should be arriving this week). Please bear with us and we investigate this issue.

- Rob

Its not just Phenom Hardware... I Just want to point this out, Just to be sure.

I have 3 differnt AMD Processors with the Same issue.

AMD Turion TL-60 x2

AMD Athlon x64 X2

AMD Athlon 3000

All Three will not run Adobe Air under a Linux Based Environment and its very aggravating.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2009 9:28 PM   in reply to sammyboy405

Also the AMD Sempron has the same problems, just to mention my CPU in the list.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2009 11:10 AM   in reply to robertux_

We have been able to reproduce the issue on an AMD Phenom machine. We are now investigating the issue further. Thank you for everyone's help with providing additional information. Our team will send another update soon.

Rob

Product Manager, Adobe AIR

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers