Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

how to change language in CS4 applications?

Jun 24, 2009 5:54 AM

Hello,

for giving exact instructions for a german client, I need to change the interface/menu/tools language in Illustrator and Photoshop occassionally from English to German. Is there a way to do this?

(if not possible to do this temporarily, would a complete new installation of the whole CS4 suite in German be possible? I try to avoid this, of course, as I will have to put it back to English in a few weeks again)

thanks for any help here,

beatrice

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2009 6:54 AM   in reply to beatrice

At least on the Mac Adobe's language management is non-existing, in marked contrast to the language management Apple recommends- each language version of an Adobe CS4 application is considered a different application and requires a different license key. "International version" is an unrecognized concept at Adobe's, it seems.For example, I needed to de-install my German trial version and install the English version before AI would recognize the product key.

I had a similar problem and solved it by downloading the English and the German manual and finding the terms by comparison.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2009 1:44 PM   in reply to beatrice

I bought a CS4 Upgrade in JUNE, and it has taken until yesterday for Adobe to tell me that a separate license/serial number is needed for each language. I have only been able to confirm this by consulting this forum (Windows).

The problem has been that I ordered a UK English version but was mistakenly given a Spanish disc with an invoice saying it was English.

When I reinstall the English language package, then change the User Interface language in Preferences, on relaunch I get a 30 day trial of CS 4 Extended in English!.  I am running this trial for the second time, which Adobe say you cannot do!

I am unsure yet whether I need simply a different (English) number for this disc or another disc.

Technical Support have referred this case to Customer Services.

Customer Services have referred this case to Technical Support.

To add insult to injury, they also overcharged me. The invoice simply says "199"  with NO CURRENCY. I have had to ask twice now for the balance to be returned.

Is it any wonder that people use pirated software! The "Support" is non existent.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2009 12:40 AM   in reply to Alastairtodd726

I am unsure yet whether I need simply a different (English) number for this disc or another disc.

You only need a different serial. The installer is the same for all European packages. Probably you will still have to fill out this strange Letter of Software Destruction, because your Spanish serial is now effectively no longer of any use for Adobe and you will have to prove that you're a good boy .

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2009 9:29 AM   in reply to Mylenium

Does the activation involve any language recognition?

I have not de- activated to my knowledge and was told that I only have 2 activations left, yet the help page says that 20 activations are allowable. I have not changed the computer.

I'm not actually sure that the trial currently running (2nd time) is CS 4 EXTENDED. I did an erase/install of my operating system since the first run as I suspected an update  to be the cause of the trouble. I wonder if it will run a third time!

Temporary use of another language (that is covered by the disc) may be possible by reinstalling that language, then changing the User Interface Language in Preferences as I did. This seems to give you a 30 day trial in that language.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2009 10:31 AM   in reply to Alastairtodd726

You are mixing up 2 unrelated things: You can activate the software on 2 systems at the same time. You are thereafter allowed 20 deactivations/ re-activations, in case you need to migrate your software to another system or need to revive it after systems failures or whatever.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2009 12:47 AM   in reply to Mylenium

That's what I thought, but it doesn't matter what language you install?

Activation is for the disc?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points