Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can't install, uninstall or reinstall Photoshop CS4

Jun 24, 2009 7:08 AM

CS4 Photoshop won't uninstall, re-install or install from either a download or the original DVD.

iMac 24", 230 GB, 2.16 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 10.5.6, 3GB, 667 MHZ,

I keep half the HD free for operating

70% of the 3GB is for Photoshop

I have the original PSCS4 installed, as of January, 2009

It had been updated to 11.0.1, but that got lost somewhere in the process below....

Last week, I updated, or perhaps upgraded the latest Flash. Nothing but trouble since then,  it seems.

The computer runs more and more slowly since then. At the same time, Photoshop got very sticky, requiring minutes to open the Curves window, to save a file, and to do all the other simplest and most complex things.

Due to the growing problems, I uninstalled the entire CS3 suite (which didn't include Photoshop), including a stand alone version of CS3, which I had beforehand, before acquiring the CS3 suite (Illustrator, et al).

Photoshop continued running  badly. A click of the mouse to select a layer, for instance, took as long as a minute before the layer was selected.

When I clicked on "Uninstall" it took almost four hours to uninstall. Maybe longer. Then, when I reinstalled PS4 from my DVD, it took just about as long. Just Photoshop.

After uninstalling andf reinstalling, a gray window with a big red X opened (after about 10 minutes). It said: "System Check. Critical errors were found in setup for Adobe Photoshop CS4:  undefined. The installer databse is invalid: please re-install the product from the original media. Please see the setup log file for details. Click Quit to exit Setup."  It would have been very, very nice if the message had said where to go to see the setup log file. I still haven't found that, and how do we know that it wasn't one of those that had gone missing? (see the next paragraph)

I had already reinstalled with the original media, but I did it again. Upon trying to launch the program after re-reinstalling, the same message came up.

Sometimes the program would launch, regardless, but first this warning message would show up just befoe PS4 opened.  "One or more files in the Adobe Application Support folder are missing. Uninstall and reinstall the program." It would open, show me this warning, and then let me work.

This has been going on, now for three days, and I'm sure that things happened in different sequences, but you get the gist.

I kept trying different things:

dumping the preferences; restarting the computer.

fixing permissions; restarting the computer with the OSX installer CD so I could repair the disk; restarted again.

After each of those efforts, I tried to launch Photoshop. It worked from time to time, but not every time. Curiously, it would launch even after getting those warning messages, about critical missing files, and I could get some work done. It took forever to process two prints and print them out, but it got done. Photosop didn't start every time. The program just froze up. The computer never froze. It ran infuriatingly slowly, but always kept going.

That's how it still runs, although it's some better. As I type right now, it's working perfectly. I'm typing in Text Edit. An uncomplicated program that always behaves itself.

Can anyone help me get Photoshop running smoothly and reliably, without showing those warning messages?  Thanks...  Or do you think something is wrong with the hard drive and when I get that fixed, PS will also be fixed?

After reading an earlier post here about Archival Reinstalls, I am considering doing that. In the meantime, though, perhaps there is a shorter, easier solution.

Thanks......

Replies
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jun 24, 2009 7:27 AM   in reply to susanthephotographer

How did you uninstall Photoshop CS3?

How did you uninstall CS4?

If you used any other method other than the Adobe Uninstaller, you're in trouble.  You cannot just drag things to the trash like you could before CS3.

Look for the CS4Clean script and the CS3Clean script on the Adobe site, download them, and run them.  Then Repair Permissions and install Photoshop CS4, finally Repair Permissions again (see next post please).

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jun 24, 2009 7:29 AM   in reply to susanthephotographer

I still advocate Repairing Permissions (with Apple's Disk Utility) before AND after any system update or upgrade, as well as before AND after installing any software that requires an installer that asks for your password.

I have seen software installations go sour because the installer did not find everything as and where it should be.  I have also seen software installations go bad because the installer did not clean up after itself properly and did not leave everything as and where it should be.  This is just my own personal opinion and practice based on my own observations.

Others may disagree and that's OK. I can only base my routines and my advice to others on my own experience and conclusion. I don't pretend to know why others believe otherwise.  Note that this suggestion begins with "I still advocate…", not "Apple recommends…".

Repairing Permissions after the fact (i. e. not immediately before and after an install) may NOT help.  Try it anyway, though.

====       Additionally,  if your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended by Apple, run Cocktail (shareware) as well.

Cron Scripts are maintenance routines designed by Apple to run on a daily, weekly and monthly basis in the middle of the night.  If you don't run them, you WILL run into trouble, sooner rather than later.

Here's an excerpt from the Apple tech doc http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107388  Mac OS X performs background maintenance tasks at certain times if the computer is not in sleep mode. If your computer is shut down or in sleep at the designated times, the maintenance does not occur. In that case, you may want or need to run these manually.

Mac OS X periodically runs background tasks that, in part, remove system files that are no longer needed. This includes purging older information from log files or deleting certain temporary items. These tasks do not run if the computer is shut down or in sleep mode. If the tasks do not run, it is possible that certain log files (such as system.log) may become very large. Also, from:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106978

The disk activity generated by find is a normal part of file system maintenance, used for tasks such as removing invisible temporary files that are used by the system. It is scheduled to occur early in the morning at 03:15 everyday, 04:30 on Saturdays, and 05:30 on the first day of each month.

NOTE: There have been comments to the effect that Apple "fixed" this in 10.4.2 and later versions of the OS, but I have not been able to verify this to my satisfaction.  The reference in the 10.4.2 release notes are far from explicit on this subject.    Other, more reliable reports indicate that this seems to have been fixed in the current version of Leopard.   

In any event, Repairing Permissions and/or running the Cron Scripts cannot hurt.

If you have DiskWarrior, run it regularly too.  It can't hurt either, and it often improves stability and performance.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jun 24, 2009 7:31 AM   in reply to susanthephotographer

Java updates, Flash updates and QuickTime updates from Apple are notorious for leaving you with corrupted permissions after you install them.  That's why I Repair Permissions before AND after.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jun 24, 2009 8:50 AM   in reply to susanthephotographer

The CleanCS4 and CleanCS3 scripts can be run independently from the uninstaller.  This has been the case for folks who couldn't run the uninstaller because they had trashed the application folder.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jun 24, 2009 9:48 AM   in reply to susanthephotographer

susanthephotographer wrote:

Adobe's instructions say:  see below. Are you saying that I can ignore that?

You can but you shouldn't.  What I was trying to say is that if the Uninstaller rerfuses to work (a very real possibility), you can still run the CS4 and CS3 scripts.  At this point, you should run both scripts, since you had CS3 installed at one time.

And here's another question I keep forgetting to ask:  How long should the uninstall take for CS4?

Since I've never had to uninstall anything, I can't tell you.  Sorry.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jun 24, 2009 10:08 PM   in reply to susanthephotographer

Only got the "loading setup" window, and then the warning message saying that "Critical errors were found. Undefined. Installer database is invalid." (What does that mean? Is it a clue?) 

It means the attempted uninstall was incomplete, either because something got manually dragged to the trash or because the uninstaller itself failed, so now there are components left that prevent the uninstaller from working as there are vital components missing.  That's where the CS4Clean script should come in.

I ran the CleanScript for both CS3 and CS4, and in both, I got the message that there was nothing to clean up.

I Repaired Permissions and restarted, CS4 was still there.

You got some serious problems.  Not being at your computer makes it hard to guess.

I'm going to do an archival reinstall of the harddrive. Would you agree???

Not necessarily.  First, and as a troubleshooting measure, create a fresh, brand new account on your Mac and log in as a different user.  Do the problems go away or persist?  If they persist, then an Archive and Install of the OS is in order.

Incidentally, all this time have you been using the Adobe Uninstaller(s) that get installed by the CS3/CS4 installations in your Utilities folder?

./Applications/ Utilities/ Adobe/…

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2009 10:46 PM   in reply to Ramón G Castañeda

I think it might be a good idea to do an archival reinstall of your system.

Of course the idea of doing the new users is still valid but even if photoshop works well it will not necessarily lead to the problem and may not last as long as doing an archival reinstall.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jun 25, 2009 12:01 AM   in reply to susanthephotographer

Also, I already did the new account trick, but everything works the same.

Then you definitely have a bad System install.  Depending on how bad it is, and if the Archive and Install of the OS does not do the job, you may have to back up your entire hard disk, reformat it and wipe it clean, write the hard drive to zeros to lock out any bad sectors and exclude any hard drive corruption, then reinstall the OS and your applications from the original media.  You can safely copy or clone all your data from your backup, but not the OS and any applications.

That's most certainly what I would do.

…I have a call in to the Apple guy or gal to call me in the morning (Thursda). That is so I can discuss archiving and reinstalling.

"Archive and Install" of the OS is an Apple procedure, so talking to Apple is indeed a good idea.  Adobe has nothing to do with it.  There is no such ting as "archival install" of Photoshop, and if you end up wiping your drive clean, the Photoshop installation will be a straightforward process from the original Adobe DVD.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points