Skip navigation
Jawzliet
Currently Being Moderated

Importing Microsoft word documents that already have paragraph styles

Jul 1, 2009 1:44 PM

Hello. I have been trying to figure out how to do this for months, this was taught to me many months ago but for some odd reason when I tried it myself it didn't work . I have my paragraph styles all set up in my indesign document. I have to import text that another person is giving me. The document that this person is giving me is a Microsoft word document. Someone showed me that you can customize the document in microsoft word, with styles for example: Selecting a part of text and customizing it (making it big and bold for example), then naming that style Heading, and then doing the same for lets say...a subheading. Well after you save the document (the microsoft word document), you are able to import the word document into your indesign file and it's supposed to override the styles from Microsoft Word and customize itself with your own paragraph or character styles that you already have in your indesign document, as long as the name of the styles are the same as the ones you had in microsoft word(which in this case would be heading and subheading). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 1, 2009 2:07 PM   in reply to Jawzliet

I haven't seen a feature where there is mapping of Word styles to InDesign styles, but you might check the forum for the item with this title. It may have your answer:

Best way to convert Word styles to IDCS3 style template

Marilyn

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2009 2:24 PM   in reply to WebPiper

That thread won't help.

For mapping word styles to InDesign styles, you need to show the import options when placing the word file, then cick the radio buttons for preserve formatting and customize style import. Click the button for style mapping to bring up the other dialog to choose what styles get mapped together.

Stylemapping.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2009 2:27 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

This is excellent. Can you send it to the original post, too?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2009 2:31 PM   in reply to Jawzliet

Jawzliet wrote:

Where can I find the import options?

There's a checkbox in the Place dialog. either check it, or leave it unchecked and hold the shift key when you click the OK button.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2009 2:32 PM   in reply to WebPiper

WebPiper wrote:

This is excellent. Can you send it to the original post, too?

Afraid I don't understand the question.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2009 2:44 PM   in reply to Jawzliet

File > Place...

This is as basic as it gets in InDesign. If you don't know how to do this, you need to do some reading.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2009 3:14 PM   in reply to Jawzliet

Convert Word styles to InDesign styles

Here's the info you need. I found it in the InDesign Help section. I needed it, too. The "Show Import Options" is a little box in the lower left hand corner of the screen that comes up when you choose the file you want to place in InDesign. It's easy to miss.

While importing a Microsoft Word document into InDesign or InCopy, you can map each style used in Word to a corresponding style in InDesign or InCopy. By doing so, you specify which styles format the imported text. A disk icon appears next to each imported Word style until you edit the style in InDesign or InCopy.

1. Do one of the following:
      • To add the Word document to existing text in InDesign or InCopy, choose File > Place. Select Show Import Options, and then double-click the Word document.

• To open the Word document in a stand-alone InCopy document, start InCopy, choose File > Open, and then double-click the Word file.

2. Select Preserve Styles and Formatting From Text and Tables.
    3. Select Customized Style Import, and then click Style Mapping.
    4. In the Style Mapping dialog box, select the Word style, and then select an option from the menu under InDesign style. You can choose the following options:
      • If there is no style name conflict, choose New Paragraph Style, New Character Style, or choose an existing InDesign style.

• If there is a style name conflict, choose Redefine InDesign Style to format the imported style text with the Word style. Choose an existing InDesign style to format the imported style text with the InDesign style. Choose Auto Rename to rename the Word style.

5. Click OK to close the Style Mapping dialog box, and then click OK to import the document.

Marilyn

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2009 9:23 AM   in reply to Jawzliet

This workflow has been hampered by an issue which cause the custom style mappings to fail to be saved in the Word Import Preset.

This issue is now solved in the 6.0.4 update. See the release notes for item #2335625.

------------------------------------------------------

An important update to the InCopy and InDesign products has been released today!
    To install the update, choose Help > Updates from any Adobe CS4 application, or navigate to the Adobe Updater and launch it:
    Mac: /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities/Updater6/Adobe Updater.app
    Win: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Updater6\Adobe_Updater.exe

You can also download the updates from Adobe.com at the following locations:
    InCopy Mac: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=30&platform =Macintosh
    InCopy Win: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=30&platform =WIndows
    InDesign Mac: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=31&platform =Macintosh
    InDesign Win: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=31&platform =WIndows

Release notes are here: http://www.adobe.com/go/id6_readme_en

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points