Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom Shortcut for Accessing Different Catalogs in Windows 7

Jul 6, 2009 8:54 AM

If you run Lightroom and Windows 7, or are planning on running Windows 7 when released, it does offer a Lightrooom shortcut opportunity that I've realized most people do not yet to know. With the enhanced functionality of the Windows 7 taskbar, you can now pin multiple catalogs to the Lightroom taskbar icon. As long as Lightroom is pinned to the taskbar, if you have multiple catalogs, you can drag them to that icon and they will form a simple jumplist. Just right-click on Lightroom and then click on the catalog you want to open and Lightroom will start with that catalog instead of its default. I have 60K+ images in 11 catalogs on both an internal and external hard drive, and I find it to me a rather convenient little feature....

Stephen

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 6, 2009 12:06 PM   in reply to swyost

That's a nice little tidbit.  And for those that don't have Windows 7 I believe you can do almost the same thing just by holding <alt> when you open up the program and it will give you a dialog where you can choose which catalog to load.  Definitely not as simple as what you are talking about but it's an option.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2009 12:14 PM   in reply to blzrdphoto

That's a nice little tidbit.  And for those that don't have Windows 7 I believe you can do almost the same thing just by holding <alt> when you open up the program and it will give you a dialog where you can choose which catalog to load.

If you're in the habit of opening different catalogs I would recommend configuring the start preference so that using Prompt me when starting Lightroom is active.

prompt-start.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2009 9:16 PM   in reply to swyost

Although it isn't as elegant, simply creating a shortcut to the lrcat file and dragging it to the Quick Launch area of the task bar gives the same functionality for Vista and XP.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2009 8:38 AM   in reply to swyost

Of course you can just change the Lightroom settings to always prompt; however, this is simply provided as an alternative for Windows 7 users.

I wasn't addressing your post.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points