Skip navigation
monto5
Currently Being Moderated

Pick color from gradient stop

Jul 11, 2009 1:27 PM

Hi,

I am an absolute beginner with Illustrator and have spent the last few days experimenting. At some point I created a box with a gradient using a random color and would now like to figure out which color exactly I used on the end stop of the gradient.

I attached the sample to this post, you will notice that the smaller box on the black square has the gradient. If I select the darker stop (e.g. from the gradient panel) and then check in the color panel it says that it is black (RGB: 000), but as compared to the black square in the background it clearly isn't black.

I suppose I could just save the file as an image and then pick the color from with Photoshop, but it seems like there should be a way from within Illustrator?

Anyone can help explain how to do this or what is going on?

Thanks

Stefan

PS:

I am using CS4 on a Mac.

Attachments:

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 11, 2009 1:34 PM   in reply to monto5

Can't see the queued file...

...but its possible you've got an RGB 000 stop over a 100%k or a C40M0Y0K100 background. They will look different. Or opacity settings may be altering the appearance.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2009 1:40 PM   in reply to monto5

Your attachment is unavailable. The Attachment feature of the forum is a waste of time and effort. Attachments remain "queued", meaning unavailable, for hours or days, leaving your question unanswered as it drops lower in the order of most recent post. Better to use the Camera icon to attach an image or to post the file online elsewhere and insert a link.

But I would guess that your Document Color Mode (File menu) is CMYK. If so, use CMYK in the Color panel, not RGB.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2009 1:54 PM   in reply to monto5

Attachement was realeased.

Background uses R0 G0 B0.. Gradient uses 0K... that's why they don't match. Change the black stop of the gradient to R0G0B0 and they'll match.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2009 1:58 PM   in reply to monto5

They aren't the same.

Background is RGB, Gradient is Greyscale.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2009 2:03 PM   in reply to monto5

I miss-typed.. it should have read 100K which means 100% Black.

0R/0G/0B is not the same as 100K which is not the same a 100C/100M/100Y/100K.. they all have different appearances.

To determine the color of the gradient, simply click a color stop in the Gradient Panel then look at the Color Panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2009 2:15 PM   in reply to monto5

Double posting

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2009 2:14 PM   in reply to monto5

Actually the black square is a rich black Although I think illustrators color is somewhat off the charts and not fucntioning in a consistent and predictable manner. Because according to the color picker the 100% K is not really black which might be true as well.

This is the color from the large square and now it matches but it is not 100% black so that is the problem.
    The rationale here is that the printed ink has a color to it which is not a pure black and the Printed image that appears as a real black is made up of more than black or K.

Picture 1.png

Here it is as 100% K

Picture 5.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2009 2:18 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

There's no such animal as an RGB Rich Black. "Rich Black" is a press term and only applies to CMYK artwork.

Background is RGB.... Gradient is Greyscale.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 11, 2009 3:08 PM   in reply to Scott Falkner

What Scott Falkner says:

…The Attachment feature of the forum is a waste of time and effort. Attachments remain "queued", meaning unavailable, for hours or days, …Better to use the Camera icon to attach an image…

Adobe_forums_Camera-icon-in-reply-box.jpg

then

Adobe_forums_Insert_Image.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2009 7:49 PM   in reply to monto5

monto5 wrote:

Thanks everyone for the answers, I think I roughly understand what's going on. Figuring out how this applies in the real world to something like a logo shared between the web and in printed form and getting consistent appearance already gives me headache without thinking too hard about it :-)

Thanks again.

If you think about it at all that headache will turn to pychotic episodes you will regret the rest of your life, so please do not think about it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2009 10:17 PM   in reply to [scott w]

ScottWeichert wrote:

There's no such animal as an RGB Rich Black. "Rich Black" is a press term and only applies to CMYK artwork.

Background is RGB.... Gradient is Greyscale.

Once again you are correct but also pointed out what happened. In order to reproduce what the OP did is that she has the color panel set to CMYK and is selecting the black on the lower right hand corner which as you wrote is 100% K and not RGB 000 as they thinks. If they stuck with the color swatches this and the same color swatch this does not happen as they are rgb swatches.

'

This is what they have done and don't realize it even though the document might be rgb. Although it is more likely that the document color space is CMYK and they made a swatch that is rgb 000.

The OP should check the document color space in the file menu that will make it easier for them to work with consistent color.

This is how they have the color panel set.

Picture 6.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points