Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash Player 10 Installation - Error: Failed to Register

Jul 12, 2009 8:46 PM

That's the error I get when I try to install Flash Player 10 VIA Internet Explorer 7 (I had to remove IE8 due to compatibility errors).

I also had to remove Flash Player entirely (since that's what it told me in the troubleshoot) and re-installed it for FireFox. But for IE7, it gave me this error.

So, what exactly do I do?

I am guessing they mean Registery Keys error, but I am not entirely sure.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 18, 2009 10:10 AM   in reply to Adelais Aer

Same problem here.   XP Pro SP3, trying to install Flash version 10.

Error: failed to register.

So far:

Ran Disk Cleanup to minimize old temp file

Ran Adobe Flash uninstaller

Disabled Anti-Virus and Anti-spyware (for Reference using AVG Anti-Virus

Followed other instructions that Adobe provides...but

...Keep getting the same error.

Other postings on "failed to register" are either for other products, several years old - or left unanswered.

If you have any luck, post on back... it would be appreciated.

Tomster2

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2009 10:54 AM   in reply to Tomster2

Found a solution.

1) I had IE 8.  I uninstalled that and went to the Windows Update screen and blocked it from reinstalling again (at least for now).  Tried installing flash... but it still "failed to register".

2) Went to http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/494/cpsid_49419.html

Followed the instructions there to download both a utility from MS, and a utility from adobe... putting them both in the same folder.  Be careful when extracting the files from the zip file from Adobe, because zip will, by default, create a subfolder.  You do not want the subfolder. You want them both in the same folder as this article suggests.

After completing the instructions, the install ran without errors.

Not sure if this would have worked with IE 8 in place, but I have had several users who have had problems recently with IE 8, so that was my first step.  I removed it which rolled it back to IE 7.  That by itself did not fix the problem.  Applying step 2 did.

If you get this work with IE8, please post back.

Tomster2

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2009 10:57 AM   in reply to Tomster2

I,m using AOL as browsertried same with downloads from microsoft and Adobe Still failed to register any suggestions

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2009 6:27 PM   in reply to Adelais Aer

I had the same concerns about ACL, but the Adobe utility uses it only for the portions it wants.  When you run the Adobe utility, it uses ACL, you do not access ACL yourself....

In any case, after downloading both files, I backed up my registery first  Start | Run | Regedit.... then File | Export | pick a location and assign a name e.g. 20090718

I then ran the adobe flash player uninstall utility.  Then the Adobe cmd file.  Again... make sure the Adobe cmd file and the ACL exe are in the same folder or it won't work.  Use windows explorer to make sure they are.

The two programs together clean up certain registry entries that are blocking the proper registration of Adobe Flash Player.

If that doesn't work for AOL, I do not know what to tell you as as I gave up on AOL years ago.

Tomster2

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2009 7:26 AM   in reply to Adelais Aer

Not a problem.  You do not need it.

Explanation:

Windows Resource Kit is a bundle of utilities you can download from MS if you ever need it.  At this time you do not need it, but to make things simple in case you ever do... just go to c:\program files and create the empty folders so you have C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\

Then proceed from there.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2009 2:57 PM   in reply to Tomster2

Tomster, the wierd thing here is that when the last dot release came out we bundled all those ACL fixes -inside- the Flash Player 10 installer.  We've seen internal permission-related install cases dropping by half in the last four months.

So I'm not sure what to make of this..   Will have to keep a watchful eye out..

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2009 7:12 AM   in reply to BWolfe [ADOBE]

After running subinACL/reset_fp10 several times, I am still having the exact same problem: failed to register the flash player.  

On the same computer, I am able to install Flash player 10 for Firefox but not for IE8.  The installation process failed at the step trying to register the  Flash10b.ocx.  Just like Bwolf had mentioned, I did noticed the installation script is attempting to fix the ACL.  Attached below is the installation log.

BTW, I can repeatly uninstall & reinstall Firefox player without any problem.  I can also install & uninstall shockwave player for IE8 without any issue.  Still after hours of trying & experimenting, I have no luck with installing the Flash player via either Adobe ActiveX DLM using IE8 or direct install via the flash player installation executable.

Any help would be much appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2009 7:21 AM   in reply to aloha_boy

I am not sure if I attached the install log file properly last time.  So here is the log file in PDF format.

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2009 7:24 AM   in reply to aloha_boy

Aloha, do you have a support webcase #? If so please post it here.

If you don't have one, go to http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer and open one, then submit your install log as an attachmen to that web case.

Then post the case # here. I'd like to get the installer guru to take a look, but I need a web case # to do it..

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2009 12:49 PM   in reply to Tomster2

Yes, I did get it to work in IE8. The key was to follow the instructions:

1. Follow the instructions to download the SubInACL tool from the Microsoft Download Center.

2. Install SubInACL

3. Download the reset_fp 10.zip file.

4. Extract the reset_fp 10.cmd file to C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\.

Important: Be sure that both the subinacl.exe and reset_fp10.cmd files are in the same locations here: C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\.  { I had to MOVE the reset_fp10.cmd files from the reset_fp 10.zip file to the C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools before it worked}

5. Double-click reset_fp10.cmd.

6. This will open a command window and execute the SubInACL tool.

7. Do not use the machine while SubInACL is running.

8. When it is finished you will see "Press any key to continue".

9 Install the Flash Player from www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer.

It finally worked for me after I did this!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2009 10:28 AM   in reply to Adelais Aer

Friends,

I have also faced the same error two days ago and tried every remedy suggested. It is stunning to note that the Adobe has monopoly on flash player and even Microsoft is slave to it. We should form a forum and request the Google to launch Google Flash Player so to have a choice. Adobe should stop experimenting with the Flash player as it has no expertise or experience as it is experimenting on our computers and systems. Most tragic part is the FLV players manufacturers who do not include the flash like component in their products but rely upon Adobe Flash Player. Java should also come up with such flash players. Hell with Adobe Flash Player which waste the precious time of computer users. I am starting the Petition in Care2 to this effect.

Please sign the petition. The Computer scholars from India will rise to the occasion and find some alternative to Adobe where policy is beggers can't be choosers.

akpsurat@msn.com

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2009 11:42 PM   in reply to Tomster2

I'm still having problems...When I try to extract the reset_fp10zipfile all that appears in the folder is this "reset_minimal_fp.txt".  Does anyone know why I wouldnt have the "reset_fp10.cmd" file available?  or better yet know how to fix it?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2009 5:50 PM   in reply to mvb1781

The real culprit is the corrupt file which only Adobe technicians can cure,

if they care to do so at their leisure. Particularly week ends beginning

from Friday is the most testing time for down loaders and no correction

before Monday or Tuesday. Meanwhile you can do two things. First completely

remove Adobe Flash Player from your computer. The Adobe Uninstaller is not

the perfect solution. Go to system search companion option. Open (tick) all

the arrow options such as search system folder, search hidden files and

folders, search subfolders, case sensitive, search tape back up...Start

search. Remove all the search results. Go to system Run. Type "regedit". Go

to HKEY_CURRENT_USER and open "Software". Go to "Macromedia" There you will

find "Flash Player". Right click on it and remove the keys. Reboot your

computer. Go to some other website to down load Flash Player such as

Download Accelerator Plus (DAP) or Download.com and down load Adobe Flash

Player. If this works, good luck  or go to Care2 Petition site and sign my

petition to take action against Adobe.

A. Patrawala Advocate

G-3&4, Vighneshvar Estate, Nanpura,

Surat-395001  Gujarat  India

+919825949066

akpsurat@gmail.com

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2009 9:22 PM   in reply to mvb1781

I have the same issue.  When I download the reset_fp.zip it appears the .cmd file is being blocked or left out.  Is there another way to get the file?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2009 5:00 AM   in reply to PaladinJeff

Follow the instructions to download the SubInACL tool from the Microsoft Download Center.

Install SubInACL.

Download the reset_fp10.zip file.

Extract the reset_fp10.cmd file to C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\. 

Important: Be sure that both the subinacl.exe and reset_fp10.cmd files are in the same location here: C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\. 

You have to download both the SubInACL tool and the zip file then move the cmd file to the same file as the zip file.

Double-click reset_fp10.cmd.

This will open a command window and execute the SubInACL tool.

Do not use the machine while SubInACL is running.

When it is finished you will see "Press any key to continue".

Install the Flash Player from www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/494/cpsid_49419.html

Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 22:23:18 -0600

To: qwendy@msn.com

Subject: Re: Flash Player 10 Installation - Error: Failed to Register Flash Player 10 Installation - Error: Failed to Register

I have the same issue.  When I download the reset_fp.zip it appears the .cmd file is being blocked or left out.  Is there another way to get the file?

>

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2009 9:06 AM   in reply to QwendyAZ

Thank you for your reply.  However, I still seem to be at the same impass.  I downloaded the SubInACL and installed it just fine.  Now when I download the Reset_fp10.zip file and extract, all it has is a reset_minimal_fp10.txt file.  The reset_fp.cmd is simply not there.  I'm running Vista and it almost seems as if it's blocking the file for my "protection".  This may be out of my hands but I was hopeing there is a way to still get the file needed.

Thanks again.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2009 9:16 AM   in reply to PaladinJeff

can this also be solved by going to a trusted website that requires flash player and the followin the prompt to download active X from adobe and then download the flash player installer? Wouldn't that give one the flash player 10.0.32.18?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2009 9:31 AM   in reply to PaladinJeff

I am do not know about Vista. I am not running Vista. It took me a long time to get mine working. I did the steps I posted and that worked for me. What finally worked for me was moving the cmd file to the same file as the zip file and then extracting it. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 10:07:19 -0600

Subject: Re: Flash Player 10 Installation - Error: Failed to Register Flash Player 10 Installation - Error: Failed to Register

Thank you for your reply.  However, I still seem to be at the same impass.  I downloaded the SubInACL and installed it just fine.  Now when I download the Reset_fp10.zip file and extract, all it has is a reset_minimal_fp10.txt file.  The reset_fp.cmd is simply not there.  I'm running Vista and it almost seems as if it's blocking the file for my "protection".  This may be out of my hands but I was hopeing there is a way to still get the file needed.

Thanks again.

>

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2009 9:37 AM   in reply to SSHLFrisco

If it was that easy we wouldn't be having a forum on it!!!

Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 10:17:16 -0600

can this also be solved by going to a trusted website that requires flash player and the followin the prompt to download active X from adobe and then download the flash player installer? Wouldn't that give one the flash player 10.0.32.18?

>

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2009 9:44 AM   in reply to QwendyAZ

Well I seem to have made some headway but I'm not there yet.  If you look at the contents of reset_minimal_fp10.txt it looks a lot like a .cmd file.  So I literally changed the name of reset_minimal_fp10.txt to reset_fp10.cmd and after confirming the change lo-and-behold it ran like a .cmd file too.  I had to run it as administrator but now I get " 'subinacl'  is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." errors.  I have subinacl in the correct folder I just need to get it to work.  One step closer I guess.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2009 9:46 AM   in reply to PaladinJeff

Hopefully. Good luck.

Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 10:44:10 -0600

Well I seem to have made some headway but I'm not there yet.  If you look at the contents of reset_minimal_fp10.txt it looks a lot like a .cmd file.  So I literally changed the name of reset_minimal_fp10.txt to reset_fp10.cmd and after confirming the change lo-and-behold it ran like a .cmd file too.  I had to run it as administrator but now I get " 'subinacl'  is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." errors.  I have subinacl in the correct folder I just need to get it to work.  One step closer I guess.

>

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2009 4:35 PM   in reply to QwendyAZ

We should not find fault with ourselves. It is always with the Adobe website

which does not keep regular maintenance to its software as millions of

computer users download every minute... it becomes corrupt... some files

missing... after few days it  settles as the missing file comes to the

knowledge of the up keepers after some hue and cry...

A. Patrawala Advocate

+919825949066

akpsurat@gmail.com

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2009 4:40 PM   in reply to PaladinJeff

We should not find fault with ourselves. It is the lack of maintenance on

the part of Adobe that software becomes corrupt after extensive download by

the users. After some hue and cry they repair it to find some another error

after some time. Please bear till some talent like Sabir Bhatia discovers

some alternative to the Adobe Flash Player. Please sign my petition at

Care2.com of Adobe Flash Player :Error...

A. Patrawala Advocate

+919825949066

akpsurat@gmail.com

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2009 4:44 PM   in reply to PaladinJeff

We should not find fault with ourselves. It the lack of regular maintenance

on the part of Adobe that corrupt software is not repaired at earliest...Try

after few days until you find some other error...

A. Patrawala Advocate

+919825949066

akpsurat@gmail.com

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2009 4:46 PM   in reply to SSHLFrisco

If the software is working condition everything works. If corrupt no

remedy... Don't find fault with yourself...

A. Patrawala Advocate

+919825949066

akpsurat@gmail.com

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2009 4:47 PM   in reply to QwendyAZ

The suggestion is highly technical and if the original software on Adobe

website is corrupt no solution till it is repaired by the Adobe after hue

and cry...

A. Patrawala Advocate

+919825949066

akpsurat@gmail.com

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2009 4:50 PM   in reply to PaladinJeff

Don't find fault with yourself. It is the software which is corrupt and wait

till it is corrected and then find some other fault...Please sign the

petition at Care2.com  against Adobe Flash Player Erros...

A. Patrawala Advocate

+919825949066

akpsurat@gmail.com

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2009 6:45 AM   in reply to PaladinJeff

PaladinJeff..

Looks like we may have accidentally changed the .zip file incorrectly. I'll check into it and post back...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2009 11:06 PM   in reply to BWolfe [ADOBE]

Just wondering if anyone has a fix for this issue. Having been thru all the options listed in http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html

I am still getting the 'failed to register' error when trying to install.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2009 7:32 AM   in reply to BWolfe [ADOBE]

I've confirmed that we have made en error in teh subInACL upload.  We should have this fixed today.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2009 10:53 AM   in reply to BWolfe [ADOBE]

Is the fix done yet??

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2009 5:21 PM   in reply to gumby321

Problem finally fixed for me by using Secedit to reset security permissions as per http://forums.adobe.com/thread/433846

As administrator do the following

1. Open a command prompt

Start -> Run

type CMD and hit "OK"

2. Run secedit (this will reset all core file permssions and registry permissions.)

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose

3. Download and run the adobe flash uninstall. This will make sure nothing is left from failed installs

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/uninstall_flash _player.e xe

uninstall_flash_player /clean

4. Install flash http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2009 4:43 AM   in reply to Mega_Tron

Thank you!!!!!   That worked!!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2009 5:47 PM   in reply to QwendyAZ

Qwendy AZ-- all I can tell you is that on one macvhine, IO was able to download the recent flash player 10.0.32.18 by going to a website that requires it and following the installation prompts

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2009 5:20 PM   in reply to SSHLFrisco

Tomster2 -Thanks so very much for your post to fix the "flash player 10 fails to register" problem.  I followed your instructions and after struggling for over a week, we now have flash working.  Thanks again...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2009 6:54 AM   in reply to Mega_Tron

Mega_Tron, Player 10 is working in my Administrator uuser account. I can't get it to install in my Name user account (which has administrator priviledges). It stops installing at the "Registration" phase. I've tried everything in tn_19166. I want to try your solution. Can I implement your solution in my Name user account, or must I implement it in my Administrator user account? Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points