• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export/Import Photoshop preferences, plugins, etc.?

Jul 14, 2009 Jul 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to wipe my computer clean and reinstall windows.

re-installing Photoshop is not a big deal, but I have several preferences, plugins, saved layer styles, actions, etc. That I do not want to loose and will not be retained.

Is there a way I can back all this up, and so when i reinstall photoshop its the same as it is now?

I also will want to do this with Dreamweaver, After Effects, and Illustrator.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Jul 14, 2009 Jul 14, 2009

Courtesy of d-solmedia.com...

1: Give Them A Home:
First, decide where you’ll be backing up your settings. Be it a folder on your hard drive, a CD/DVD or an offsite storage service. Wherever it is find a consistent place that will be separate up from your main computer should you have a total crash.

2: Archive your actions:
Photoshop is not a place to store actions. When you download a new action don’t just load it in the actions palette and expect it to stay there. PS will retain the actions so lon

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Contributor ,
Jul 14, 2009 Jul 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Courtesy of d-solmedia.com...

1: Give Them A Home:
First, decide where you’ll be backing up your settings. Be it a folder on your hard drive, a CD/DVD or an offsite storage service. Wherever it is find a consistent place that will be separate up from your main computer should you have a total crash.

2: Archive your actions:
Photoshop is not a place to store actions. When you download a new action don’t just load it in the actions palette and expect it to stay there. PS will retain the actions so long as the preference to keep it loaded remains. Also deleting an action in PS does not actually delete the file, it just removes it from the action palette. As long as you have your action files safely stored you’re good. But, if you load an action, and then delete the file expecting PS to retain it forever, your doom is sealed.

I like to make a “favorite actions” set that I store with my other actions. This way all my commonly used actions are in one set that I can load fast. I keep it in PS all the time, but it’s backed up should I have a crash. My other actions are nearby as well, but I load them only occasionally since all my favorites are in one set. You can do this by making a new action set (folder) within PS, then drag your favorite actions into it from other sets, then save your favorites set in a safe place.

actions 202x300 How To Backup Photoshop Settings Like A Pro:

2: Saving Brushes & More With Preset Manger.
In PS go to Edit/Preset Manager. A window will pop up that contains a dropdown to select your brushes, swatches, gradients, styles, contours, patterns, custom shapes or tools. If you have any custom settings for any of these it’s as simple as going to the manger, selecting what you want to manage and saving the set to your backup location.

file preset manager 196x300 How To Backup Photoshop Settings Like A Pro: preset manager 300x211 How To Backup Photoshop Settings Like A Pro: http://www.prophotoshow.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/file-preset-manager.jpg

3: Backing Up Keyboard Shortcuts:
Keyboard shortcuts can save a ton of time, and once you set up custom ones you’ll want them to be there.  I for example set CMD+F to flatten since I use it so often. If I get on a machine that does not have the setting, I quickly miss it. All you need do is go to up to the menu and choose Edit/Keyboard Shortcuts. Slick the save icon, and save the current shortcuts in a file. Now you can easily load it on any machine by simply loading the saved file.

keyboard shortcuts 300x197 How To Backup Photoshop Settings Like A Pro:

Power User Tricks:
There’s more you can backup than what’s on the surface of PS. Workspaces  for example control the location of your palette’s and menus. Most know that you can save workspace by simply going to Window/Worskpaces. Thing is, there’s not really a built in method of exporting those workspaces for backup. To do this we have to talk about the Power User method.

Outside of Photoshop, go to your application (programs) folder and find Photoshop. We’re using CS3 for this, but it should be similar with other versions. Inside the PS folder look for the Presets folder, and inside that you’ll find stuff like Workspaces, and all kinds of other settings. You can just copy and paste things from here, to your backup and be good to go.

power user 300x222 How To Backup Photoshop Settings Like A Pro:

Photoshop CS4 Notes: (UPDATE)
Most locations are the same in CS4. At the moment it looks like the only differnce if the Workspaces location. Rather than being inside the folder that contains Photoshop it’s found in these locations. Loaction information for other settings in CS4 can be found here.

Mac… Users/[Username]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CS4 Settings/WorkSpaces
Vista… Users/[Username]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4 Settings/Workspaces
XP… Documents and Settings/[Username]/Application Data/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4 Settings/Workspaces

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines