Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

MainConcept™ MPEG Pro™ HD 4  Plug-in for Adobe® Premiere® Pro

Jul 18, 2009 2:04 PM

Is this Adobe Premiere Plug-in better then the one that comes with CS4 ?

Are there third party codecs that make a better end product ?

Im shooting in HDV then downconverting in camera to SD.

Then final product will be a DVD.

I would like to edit in HDV then downsize in Premiere but the downsize in Premiere never seems as good as the in-camera version for a SD video.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 18, 2009 7:21 PM   in reply to Powered by Design

I don't recall getting a plug-in with CS4.

If you delivering on DVD, then just shoot in DV and save yourself the headaches.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2009 2:33 AM   in reply to Powered by Design

Glenn,

In the past, with CS2 and CS3 I have bought the MainConcept plug-in, thinking it would give me better encoding, at least more options to tune the encoding process, but I had nothing but trouble and their support was horrendous. They never were able to solve my problems, so in the end I returned the plug-in and got a refund.

I'm not saying they have not improved in time, but with my experience of the stability of their product at that time and their service, I will not buy again from them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2009 5:19 AM   in reply to Powered by Design

This approach works quite well. For saving the final results you may want to save two versions, one a MPEG2-DVD version for direct import to Encore if you need more copies, and a MS DV AVI, which you may be able to edit at a later date. Be aware that will not be helpful at all if you use a lot of subtitles, since they can no longer be edited separately. The same with the audio, if you make a mix of original sound and background music or voice overs, they are saved as one track and can no longer be edited separately. Maybe the project manager is an alternative.

The reason I specifically mention MPEG2-DVD is that encoding from one format to another has to be kept at a minimum to keep quality as high as possible:

HDV --> MPEG2-DVD is one generation loss.

HDV --> MS DV AVI --> MPEG2-DVD is two generation losses.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2009 6:56 AM   in reply to Powered by Design

I personally always use elementary streams, because when I just want to change some minor details in either audio or video, I only need to reencode  one stream, which is always quicker than a multiplexed stream, especially for audio. Secondly, Encore seems to have less problems with elementary streams than with multiplexed streams. And last, as you correctly mentioned, it is far easier to make multiple audio streams for multi-language DVD's without the need to re-encode the video as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2009 8:52 AM   in reply to Powered by Design

CS4 comes with the Main Concept codec already.

Got it.  Take care with wording here, though.  A plug-in is something you manually install after the fact.  That codec isn't a plug-in, it's included, and is used for export.  The actual plug-in you're asking about performs a different role, adding MPEG editing ability.

I want to shoot in HDV so I have the footage archived in HD for later if i want to export a blu-ray.

Understood.

The cost for producing a blu-ray is very expensive to liscense for a comercial DVD.

Again take care with wording.  The cost of producing a Blu-ray is more than a DVD, but it can be a lot cheaper than what you're talking about, which is Replication (stamped disks).  Duplication (burned disks) you can do yourself without those fees, just like you can with DVD.

there plug-in cost $149 but is on sale now for $99.

Wow!  That got cheap.  It used to be $499.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2009 10:53 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

The only advangtage i can think of is editing SD mpeg realtime in a dv timeline and having smart render.

Dont know it this apply for hdv.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2009 5:43 PM   in reply to Powered by Design
    The $99 one is the first choice with only a few options but the ones that work for me.

Ah.  I see MainConcept has changed things around a bit.

"The brand new release now comes in five different versions..."

I didn't know they broke it out like that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2009 10:43 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

I was thinking about buying the plugin but there is a bug with the smartrendering (which also applies for HDV) in CS4 and they have no idea when this will be fixed. So i will wait a while.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)