Skip navigation
gleek48
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge CS3 support for Panasonic G1 RAW (RW2) files

Jul 26, 2009 9:48 AM

I bought Photoshop Elements 6 for my Macbook yesterday and installed it.  At first, PSE and Bridge CS3 didn't recognize the RAW (RW2) files from the camera, until I followed these instructions:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407944.html

It was actually kind of tricky since there were so many areas where the plug in resided in.

Well, partial good news is now that PSE works with my Panasonic G1 RW2 (Raw) files on individual files and Bridge CS3 shows the thumbnails for these files.  Bad news is when I double click on them from Bridge CS3, it won't open.

I think it has to do with the RW2 file extension because when i manually changed it from RW2 to RAW (the old Panasonic RAW extension) and double clicked within Bridge CS3, it opened the file in PSE6.

Is there a way that Bridge/PSE can automatically recognize these RW2 file types?   It won't work to manually change each file name.

Thanks,

RIch

Replies
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jul 26, 2009 3:17 PM   in reply to gleek48

gleek48 wrote:

…It was actually kind of tricky since there were so many areas where the plug in resided in.

No way! There is only one possible correct location, period.

Follow the instructions in the tech note you cite and remove all extraneous instances of the Camera Raw plug-in you find on your system.

Make sure you have installed ACR 5.4 (the Camera Raw plug-in) in the correct location.

Install the maximum version that your version of Bridge is compatible with. For example, if your version of Bridge is compatible with Camera Raw versions through 5.4, then install version 5.4 — even if you only need version 5.1 or earlier to enable support for your camera.

In connection with Photoshop Elements 6 for the Mac, Bridge CS3 can run ACR 5.4.  (With Photoshop CS3, Bridge CS3 can only run ACR 4.6.)

Bridge 2.x (CS3) was and remains the worst piece of software ever released by Adobe or any other major software developer.  It should have been fixed for free by Adobe but, shamefully, it wasn't.  The latest and last version of Bridge CS3 was 2.1.1.9.  Make sure you have at least that.

Fortunately, Bridge 3.x (CS4) is much better.

What you undoubtedly need to do is Purge the cache for each folder through the Tools menu in Bridge, not mess around with file extensions (bad, bad move!).

Bridge_CS4_cache_prefs.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jul 26, 2009 5:24 PM   in reply to gleek48

gleek48 wrote:

…I deleted the two other copies of the plug ins from the PSE and Bridge and left just the one in the main library.  It still doesn't work when I double click the file in Bridge.

But did you Purge the Cache for the folder through the Tools menu in Bridge?

gleek48 wrote:

…I think that it may be due to the file extension generated by the G1 - RW2.  WHen I look in bridge's preferences for file type associations, it only lists .RAW for panasonic and not the new RW2.

Aah! RW2 files are expected by Camera Raw (and thus Bridge) to come from a Lumix DMC-GH1, first supported in ACR 5.4.  Make absolutely certain you have ACR 5.4 installed as shown in About Plug-ins, or whatever that may be called in Elements.

Be aware that Camera Raw is intentionally and severely emasculated when hosted by Elements.  You'll have limited access to a limited number of ACR features only.

Here's the entire list of supported cameras:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html

Lumix DMC-GH1RW25.4

A Panasonic DMC-G1 is indeed expected to generate ".RAW" files.  See the list.

DMC-G1RAW5.2

You have to be careful that by changing the file extension you're not just forcing ACR to open and show you just the in-camera embedded JPEG preview.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points