Skip navigation
Korrupt3dazn
Currently Being Moderated

"File Not Found" When opening a file in illustrator CS3

Jul 27, 2009 8:20 AM

I having issues where when I click on a file it launches illustrator but then I get prompted with file not found. I then open illustrator and browse to the file and am to open it....any ideas? This one has me stumped.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 27, 2009 10:58 AM   in reply to Korrupt3dazn

What operating system? If it's Windows, you may simply need to adjust your file associations. In most such cases a file extension is assigned to 2 or more programs and the file handler operation can't make sense of it. So open a folder, go to Extras --> Folder options --> File Types and check. also note, that sometimes spaces, special characters or long file names can cause such issues, so naming your files differently in the future may also acvoid the problem.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2009 12:47 AM   in reply to Korrupt3dazn

It's not weird. In fact the file may be tied to AI in multiple ways, once with the "Open" command, once with "Edit". Since they are basically the same, the program may still confuse them. In addition, the underlying DDE strings could be different from the actual command so Illustrator.exe %1 in fact may be Illustrator.exe %1 %2 -o under the hood, which likewise could throw things of track. Your mail program may simply call the correct procedure directly. Anyway, these things should be possible to fix.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2009 12:51 AM   in reply to Mylenium

Or perhaps a permissions problem that has corrupted the preferences or just a permissions problem

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2009 8:19 AM   in reply to Korrupt3dazn

Do you have other tools on the system that may grab a hold of the *.ai file extension? Corel Draw? Xara? Inkscape? Or even Photoshop?

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 3:41 PM   in reply to Mylenium

I am having a similar problem using Illustrator CS5 on Mac. I can't see to figure out why no files are matching my "*.ai" - even though there are several .ai files in the folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 4:55 PM   in reply to Mylenium

If I run the javascript from ExtendedScript Toolkit, it seems to find the files. I verified using the "alert" function and printing out the files array. Obviously, I need to run this script from Illustrator CS5, where it doesn't work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 10:15 AM   in reply to vroom_eins10

I think I found the problem. I am using Illustrator CS5 (15.0.02) running on MacOS (10.7.5).

In my script, Folder.selectDialog function was returning "file:///Users/alex/Apps/temp", when I selected the temp folder from the dialog box. I want the function to return "/Users/alex/Apps/temp". If I hardcode the path (as shown below), the javascript runs fine.

// Select the source folder.

//sourceFolder = Folder.selectDialog( 'Select the folder with Illustrator files', '~' );

sourceFolder = Folder("/Users/alex/Apps/temp");

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points