Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
AbuAbdurrahman
Currently Being Moderated

I can't open canon .CR2 files in Adope camera raw in CS3

Jul 28, 2009 11:20 PM

When i want to open my .CR2 file from my Canon camera 40D into bridge or photoshop CS3 it does not open it and it can't recognize the file in some way.  My computer is working with windows vista.  I really need help as i dont know why it is not doing it.  Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 29, 2009 12:36 AM   in reply to AbuAbdurrahman

If you read this TechNote it will explain how to open any RAW in any Photoshop version:_

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407110.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2009 2:33 PM   in reply to athegn

Distilling the Tech Note down, essentially you can't open .CR2 files in CS3.  I think CS4 is the first version that has .CR2 compatibility.  One option that doesn't involve upgrading to CS4 is to download the free Adobe DNG converter and convert your .CR2 files to .dng.  Then you can open them in CS3.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2009 3:16 PM   in reply to Bruce Pollock

Bruce Pollock wrote:

Distilling the Tech Note down, essentially you can't open .CR2 files in CS3.  I think CS4 is the first version that has .CR2 compatibility.  One option that doesn't involve upgrading to CS4 is to download the free Adobe DNG converter and convert your .CR2 files to .dng.  Then you can open them in CS3.

No, that isn't right.  The Canon 40D was supported in at least the last version of Camera Raw for CS3.  There are a few things you need to verify.

1.  In Photoshop, go to Help/About Plug-Ins and click on Camera Raw in the list.  It will tell you what version you have installed.  You should have Camera Raw 4.6 listed, and it should only be listed once.  If there are additional listings then you have a problem.  Camera Raw will now work.

2.  Get the download instructions from the Adobe download website and make sure Camera Raw is installed in the right folder.  It must be that specific folder, and there can be no other versions of Camera Raw in the Adobe file structure.

3.  Are you able to see your raw images in Bridge?  If not, then there is something wrong with your installation.

Check these things out and make sure everything is set up properly.  Then maybe we can help you further.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2009 3:34 PM   in reply to Bruce Pollock

The extension .CR2 is appended to a whole variety of totally different Canon raw files.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 31, 2009 5:17 PM   in reply to John Joslin

John Joslin wrote:

The extension .CR2 is appended to a whole variety of totally different Canon raw files…

…and each of those CR2 file types has to be supported individually be new versions of ACR.

Talking about "CR2" without specifying which specific Canon camera model genereated them is totally meaningless.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points