Skip navigation
salsantos222
Currently Being Moderated

"Data Execution Prevention" prevents Reader 9.0 & 9.1 from running

Jul 30, 2009 11:12 AM

When I try running Adobe Reader 9.0 or 9.1, the Windos "Data Execution Prevention" feature prevents it from running. I just received a new DELL computer with Vista Home Premium OS with Adobe 9.0 already installed. When I run the Adobe Reader, it stops executing because it is using a part of memory reserved for system files. Windows states that "Data Execution Prevention" has stopped the program to prevent possible corruption. I downloaded version 9.1 and still have the same problem. I downloaded the "light" version of Version 9.1 and still have the same problem. If I try running from Firefox or from the Desktop icon, I still have the same problem. When I try from the Control Panel to set Data Execution Prevention to exempt Adobe Reader, I get a message that Adobe Reader needs to run under DEP and cannot be exempted. So, I can't run Adober Reader 9.1 becasue Windows "Data Execution Prevention" stops it. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 10, 2009 1:59 PM   in reply to salsantos222

I have a user experiencing the same problem.  Opening the program itself (not by executing a pdf file) end up crashing Adobe immediately.  Initiating Adobe Reader from a PDF file, it appears to crash during "Initializing DigSig(2).api".  As other users have noted in other threads pertaining to this problem, Data Execution Prevention pops up a message basically telling the user that the program was blocked and to make an exception.  When I try to do this for AcroRd32.exe, DEP complains that the program must run with DEP enabled and it cannot be turned off for this program. I've installed Foxit Reader as a temporary work-around, but we have a lot of industry-specific programs that rely heavily on Acrobat Reader and I fear it may have a much more far-reaching problem since Adobe Acrobat Reader 9 is dead-in-the-water.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?  Is Adobe/MS working on a solution?

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 64-bit

Internet Explorer 7

Acrobat Reader 9.2.0.124

I've tried uninstalling, then reinstalling as normal and no joy.  I downloaded the "lite" and stand-alone installer from the ftp site, still crashes Reader.  The error as reported by the Event Viewer:

Log Name: Application

Source: Application Error

Date: 11/10/2009 1:32:24 PM

Event ID: 1000

Task Category: (100)

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: David-PC

Description:

Faulting application AcroRd32.exe, version 9.2.0.124, time stamp 0x4ac7307c, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x00000000, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00000001, process id 0x1044, application start time 0x01ca6244e7a078e6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2011 5:21 PM   in reply to NMITGuy

I am having the same problem with Acrobat Reader X.

I am using Adobe Reader X and am constantly getting a Windows "data execution prevention" error every time I open and close a pdf file. What can I do to resolve this as Windows says it can not shut off "data execution prevention" for Adobe reader?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2011 11:08 AM   in reply to smy64295128

What doesn't someone at Adobe reply to these posts??

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points